This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MGS Demo is awesome

#21velvet_hammerPosted 1/23/2013 3:38:11 PM
RoxasANobody posted...
As someone who has been accused of having "bad taste" because he picked up DmC as a preorder, I have to say that MGR is pretty damn amazing. I don't discriminate and I pick up games I want to play rather than picking useless sides. I'm going to enjoy the best of both worlds. I actually posted an initial review here last night saying that it was a bad demo. You really need to get through it more than once to get a feel for it.

The difference between 60fps and 30fps for DmC is obvious. I may not preorder this one since it's coming up so soon, but I'm definitely thinking about picking it up. After getting the parry system down, I was breezing through the demo and it made it infinitely easier. I scoffed at the people calling the demo "easy", but now I understand why they had such an easy time with it. It's really so simple and enjoyable. It's more ferocious than DmC, that's for sure.

it really is easy, I hope on launch I can pick hard from the start.. either way I'm beating this game over 3 times :)
---
"The purpose of life, is a life with a purpose. So I'd rather die for a cause, than live a life that is worthless!!" Immortal Technique
#22You_Need_A_LifePosted 1/23/2013 4:37:11 PM
The controls are mostly what kill it for me. They're terrible. And the game feels sluggish, not quite unresponsive, but almost like there's a slight delay in everything. Shinobi, as I mentioned earlier in another thread as someone pointed out, is smooth and totally responsive, and the controls are simple and the gameplay fast and furious. This game...it's just messy.

It's also too much of a button-masher. You can mash square and your enemy will have no chance to do anything. If you start getting attacked by someone else or they break free and counter-attack, you just parry and continue. You can do other attacks, but why bother when square x whatever works fine?

Even the boss can be parried and backed into the wall, pinning him there, and allowing you to endless chain square until he calls for help twice and finally dies.

I'm sure the game will get harder later on, but the combo system still feels shallow and thee controls are still awful, especially the ones used for the Free-Slice mode thing.

And finally, in my opinion, the game just isn't very fun. I've played a lot of these types of games though, so maybe I'm just spoiled by Ninja Gaiden, but this game never felt exciting to me. Sorry for being good at this genre.
#23TelekiNoctisPosted 1/23/2013 6:05:41 PM
TelekiNoctis posted...
It feels like another tired hack n slash with better presentation than most. The blade mode didn't blow me away. In fact, blade mode felt like a perfectionist chore to me. The parry system isn't as easy as people have made it out to be, and even when you do parry, it doesn't necessarily leave the enemy open.

Meh.

Yes it does. If it doesn't then you didn't parry and just blocked instead.

well, it didn't seem to work on the moo cow robots (geckos?) It just pushed them back like 10 feet. It was the blue parry.

When you push the enemy back that's because it was a block instead of a parry. Parry has strict timing which opens them up and won't push them back much.
---
http://i.imgur.com/iJ8BI.gif