This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Next Playstation dev specs revealed

#21StriderNemesisPosted 1/23/2013 2:23:07 PM
NotCeo posted...
I'd be shocked if they actually launched the system with a 160gb hard drive. I'd be thrilled with a 160gb SSD though.

I don't think they'll launch it with a 160GB spinning drive. They better keep it easily upgradeable, though.
#22Chocobo115Posted 1/23/2013 2:29:13 PM
hope hope...

if the only major addition on the next controller is the touchpad on the back. Then I'm all in for PS4 next gen.
#23StriderNemesisPosted 1/23/2013 2:30:20 PM
One application we learned about for this feature would be that, were four players in a co-op battle able to defeat a boss, then all four would receive trophies.

That is awesome.
#24StriderNemesisPosted 1/23/2013 2:35:26 PM
ComfortablySad posted...
Dev kits have double the amount of RAM but does that apply to video memory too? Will the PS4 have 4GB of RAM and 1.1GB video memory or 2.2GB?

No. RAM is doubled to allow debug tools to run simultaneously with games. Debug tools do not use VRAM. So, it will have 2.2 GB of VRAM.
#25regsantotomasPosted 1/23/2013 2:38:00 PM
Nothing particularly surprising in the specs.

What will be interesting is the rest of the story on the platform.

- Game prices
- PSN features (both plus and non)
- XMB or replacement of
- price point/availability
- launch titles
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#26dj___rollPosted 1/23/2013 4:17:55 PM
What I got from this is that it will have accounts like Live is setup now. Sign in from pc, ps4 etc. But there was something in that picture that showed a possibility of that no used game process.

I am thinking, games you buy, along with dlc will be tied to your Sony account, like how dlc is tied into your gamertag on xbox.

So, you put game in ps4, you link it to your account and it is yours until sony cuts the service on the account.

My biggest fear with all this online registration stuff is 20 years from now you can't go back into that old box you keep in the garage, pull out your game and try and play it. Because when things like steam, origin etc disappear, which they will, that game is useless.

All this will do is ramp up piracy.

I don't know how you got they were blocking used games from anything in the article. If anything, it sounds like they're making it even more akin to Live. So DLC and game downloads will be tied to your user account and not console. No more console limits, and keeps them from losing sales with game sharing.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#27Mightyjimpo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 4:54:09 PM
IGN are now running the same info. How far off is E3 as they have to be getting ready to show off their new tech even of its due for a 2014 release.
---
The cure for anything is salt water; sweat, tears, or the sea. ISAK DINESEN (1885-1962)
#28GeassMasterPosted 1/23/2013 4:59:48 PM
Mightyjimpo posted...
IGN are now running the same info. How far off is E3 as they have to be getting ready to show off their new tech even of its due for a 2014 release.

I think Sony may show the PS4 off before E3 and then show the actual software at E3 and some Japanese focused stuff at TGS. I could be wrong, but it seems like a better scenario.
---
Now Playing: EDF 2017 Portable, P4G, Tera, Darkness 2, Ys Origin, Prince of Persia(2008), Metro 2033, DW: Gundam 2, Binary Domain
I Have A Huge Backlog.
#29regsantotomasPosted 1/23/2013 5:10:10 PM
GeassMaster posted...
Mightyjimpo posted...

I think Sony may show the PS4 off before E3 and then show the actual software at E3 and some Japanese focused stuff at TGS. I could be wrong, but it seems like a better scenario.

That is a likely scenario for Sony and Microsoft sans TGS.

Hardware, platform, and business model focus with a few game highlights on the pre-announcement and probably allow the 3rd parties to focus on games during E3 itself.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego