This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the point of fighting games when people only use a few characters?

#1LuminousSparkPosted 1/23/2013 2:26:04 PM
I don't really play fighting games much and my friends are trying get me into fighting games. They show me some YouTube clips from fighting game tournaments showing games like Street Fighter 4, Marvel, Persona, Dead or Alive, Tekken Tag, etc. I noticed in most of the videos my friends are showing me that alot of different players are using the same characters. I really don't see any variety at all. In Street Fighter I only see people using only Akuma and Cammy, in Marvel almost everybody have Doom and Vergil in their team, in Persona I only see Mitsuru, in Dead or Alive I only see Alpha and Jann Lee, and in Tekken I only see Mishimas.

Don't these games get balance at all? I mean what is the point of having 30+ roster if only a few characters is being used?
#2SigmaHacielPosted 1/23/2013 2:27:10 PM
Thats the point of fighting games.

Sorry you don't get that.
#3CrystalKing5426Posted 1/23/2013 2:27:15 PM
ITT: Everyone who plays fighting games plays them at a competitive level.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Official Groudon of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#4SieKensouPosted 1/23/2013 2:32:04 PM
LuminousSpark posted...
I don't really play fighting games much and my friends are trying get me into fighting games. They show me some YouTube clips from fighting game tournaments showing games like Street Fighter 4, Marvel, Persona, Dead or Alive, Tekken Tag, etc. I noticed in most of the videos my friends are showing me that alot of different players are using the same characters. I really don't see any variety at all. In Street Fighter I only see people using only Akuma and Cammy, in Marvel almost everybody have Doom and Vergil in their team, in Persona I only see Mitsuru, in Dead or Alive I only see Alpha and Jann Lee, and in Tekken I only see Mishimas.

Don't these games get balance at all? I mean what is the point of having 30+ roster if only a few characters is being used?

the lack of variety in videos can be attributed to one of two things:

- the game has horrible balancing

or

- people who upload videos are too afraid to try anyone else
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#5SigmaHacielPosted 1/23/2013 2:33:20 PM
It isn't fear to use someone else.

Competent fighting game players do this thing called "Maining".

Black Butter doesn't use Testament in GG because Testament is OP. Black Butter uses Testament because Black Butter mained and learned Testament.
#6MegaMettaurPosted 1/23/2013 2:35:10 PM
LuminousSpark posted...

Learn to Competitive play. You're watching tournaments. Which means you're only gonna see characters that are usable against high tier characters. And yes, everyone always assumes that haveing 1000 characters in your game is better than having 8, but I don't think that's ever the case. Look at Marvel Vs Capcom 2. The game has tons of characters, yet only 15% of them are used.
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2
#7SieKensouPosted 1/23/2013 2:35:19 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...

Black Butter doesn't use Testament in GG because Testament is OP. Black Butter uses Testament because Black Butter mained and learned Testament.

he's talking about a lack of variety.

also, the game makes the difference.

the GG community behaves differently from the SF community... etc..

the north american fighting game community is pretty much just capcom community... everyone else is shoved into a corner.
---
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#8SieKensouPosted 1/23/2013 2:36:02 PM
MegaMettaur posted...
LuminousSpark posted...

Learn to Competitive play. You're watching tournaments. Which means you're only gonna see characters that are usable against high tier characters. And yes, everyone always assumes that haveing 1000 characters in your game is better than having 8, but I don't think that's ever the case. Look at Marvel Vs Capcom 2. The game has tons of characters, yet only 15% of them are used.

jp can use usa's low tier characters to shame usa's high tier characters... what now.
---
#9SigmaHacielPosted 1/23/2013 2:36:10 PM
Then TC needs to learn how to Google and find other videos. I can find videos on anyone I want. Are they good? Not always.
#10MegaMettaurPosted 1/23/2013 2:37:26 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...

Any troll can say he mained and learned testament because he is OP. Many people main and learn top tier characters. He doesn't have to be an exception.
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2