This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the point of fighting games when people only use a few characters?

#11MegaMettaurPosted 1/23/2013 2:38:24 PM
SieKensou posted...
MegaMettaur posted...
LuminousSpark posted...
I don't really play fighting games much and my friends are trying get me into fighting games. They show me some YouTube clips from fighting game tournaments showing games like Street Fighter 4, Marvel, Persona, Dead or Alive, Tekken Tag, etc. I noticed in most of the videos my friends are showing me that alot of different players are using the same characters. I really don't see any variety at all. In Street Fighter I only see people using only Akuma and Cammy, in Marvel almost everybody have Doom and Vergil in their team, in Persona I only see Mitsuru, in Dead or Alive I only see Alpha and Jann Lee, and in Tekken I only see Mishimas.

Don't these games get balance at all? I mean what is the point of having 30+ roster if only a few characters is being used?

Learn to Competitive play. You're watching tournaments. Which means you're only gonna see characters that are usable against high tier characters. And yes, everyone always assumes that haveing 1000 characters in your game is better than having 8, but I don't think that's ever the case. Look at Marvel Vs Capcom 2. The game has tons of characters, yet only 15% of them are used.

jp can use usa's low tier characters to shame usa's high tier characters... what now.

No they can't.
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2
#12chiefofsb78Posted 1/23/2013 2:38:27 PM
You should try watching more than a few clips i play fighting games and watch all tournaments mostly all characters are used its just some are more popular and you see them more like Doom Vergil and Magneto
#13Dark Blade 13Posted 1/23/2013 4:43:17 PM
It is because developers doesn't know how to balance their games. It is usually a character who is easy to use, good mobility, and high priority moves will always be pick. There is no need to learn difficult character if an easy character can do better.
---
JUS FC: 2921-4559-2925 DS Name: moosequito
(>")>==============)
#14RyuuHou25Posted 1/23/2013 4:48:15 PM
- Complains about lack of character usage

- Fails to mention who they themselves use

*whistles*
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#15zeth07Posted 1/23/2013 5:04:46 PM
Learning fighting games also takes a lot of time to get at a remotely decent level compared to the actual players in the community for the game.

This means a person is more likely to only play 1 character / team, because they don't have the time to learn multiple characters.

It could also be from the fact that they only actually like that one character.

Mashing buttons and knowing special moves eventually gets you nowhere in the grand scheme of things.
#16RoachmeatPosted 1/23/2013 8:21:31 PM

Dead or Alive 2 ---> Played as everyone but HAYATE. I prefer Ein, honestly.

Soul Calibur 2 ---> Mastered Ivy, but played as everyone but VOLDO. He's just too much.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 ---> Don't get me started. I learned CAPCOM by this game.

MK Trilogy ---> Loved everyone on that game but Cyrax, Jax, and Sub Zero(masked)

I'm even trying to love the roster on 'Injustice' coming out soon. Cyborg so far is the only 'meh', since he isn't even my favorite Titan (Starfire). I'll even get to see what all the fuss is about with 'Deathstroke'.
#17BeknessPosted 1/23/2013 8:26:25 PM
Roachmeat posted...

Dead or Alive 2 ---> Played as everyone but HAYATE. I prefer Ein, honestly.

Soul Calibur 2 ---> Mastered Ivy, but played as everyone but VOLDO. He's just too much.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 ---> Don't get me started. I learned CAPCOM by this game.

MK Trilogy ---> Loved everyone on that game but Cyrax, Jax, and Sub Zero(masked)

I'm even trying to love the roster on 'Injustice' coming out soon. Cyborg so far is the only 'meh', since he isn't even my favorite Titan (Starfire). I'll even get to see what all the fuss is about with 'Deathstroke'.

DoA2 was so good, I tried them all. I used to mainly use Kasumi or Ayane.

And TC, even if you only use 1 character, there's still competing against several characters.
And how do you know people haven't tried the others? You're not allowed preferences anymore?
---
Zachy Bear
#18majin nemesisPosted 1/23/2013 8:32:56 PM
LuminousSpark posted...
...and in Tekken I only see Mishimas.

well in my case i use Heihachi Mishima because i like his fightning style and i got use to using him not because he's good or anything like that also he's not easy to use but i can also use almost any other charcter in the game decently
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#19RoachmeatPosted 1/23/2013 8:57:33 PM
DoA2 was so good, I tried them all. I used to mainly use Kasumi or Ayane.

'Dead or Alive' for me was one of the few franchises where it didn't matter that the women were hot in my decision who to fight with.

Jann Lee was cool with his kick combos, and so was Zack.

Leon was punishing with his strong throws.

And Ein was a bad *** who looked as if he was in the zone with every attack. Plus, all the girls in the game seemed to love ole boy (I didn't understand why until DOA: Dimensions)

Bass was okay, not as fun to play with as Leon, but I like professional wrestling, so.

Finally, Gen Fu had combos that could slam folks into walls, so I could get behind that.