This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Im very disappointed THPS series isnt in this gen

#11LionheartCJPosted 1/24/2013 2:14:45 AM
Meh, i liked the HD Remake. but the lack of offline multiplayer is a huuuge minus
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSWXqC7Dlhs - The Legend Of Don Piano
#12Evel138Posted 1/24/2013 2:20:15 AM
Project 8 was this gen. I use to love the THPS games. I'll never forget me and my buddies playing the hell out of just the demo of the first game. Given that I've been skateboarding for 25 years, I knew and played every skateboarding game up to that point.

THPS was the first skateboarding game that really tried to do the sport correctly.....everything from the style, to the music to the trick variations. Everything was great until about THPS3 or THUG for sure when the direction went off the wall, outer limits........grinding telephone wires and such.

That was great for some skaters and definitely those that don't skate as it evolved into arcadey nonsense.....which is fine, but not the same spirit the first games had.....not as true to actual skateboarding.......which, IMHO, skaters were the primary audience of the game.

Then enter skate......a game that was better and more true to skateboarding than THPS ever was (though ironic that by its third installment the developers started to go a bit off the rails, so to speak, with the realism as well) and the THPS series started to seem like a moot point.

It was then that they tried (in desperation IMHO) to reboot the series with something interesting. "Ride" was a great idea on paper, but in that it didn't work, was the nail in the coffin for the series.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Sackboy
http://fav.me/d5qo006
#13LionheartCJPosted 1/24/2013 4:06:12 AM
Evel138 posted...
Project 8 was this gen. I use to love the THPS games. I'll never forget me and my buddies playing the hell out of just the demo of the first game. Given that I've been skateboarding for 25 years, I knew and played every skateboarding game up to that point.

THPS was the first skateboarding game that really tried to do the sport correctly.....everything from the style, to the music to the trick variations. Everything was great until about THPS3 or THUG for sure when the direction went off the wall, outer limits........grinding telephone wires and such.

That was great for some skaters and definitely those that don't skate as it evolved into arcadey nonsense.....which is fine, but not the same spirit the first games had.....not as true to actual skateboarding.......which, IMHO, skaters were the primary audience of the game.

Then enter skate......a game that was better and more true to skateboarding than THPS ever was (though ironic that by its third installment the developers started to go a bit off the rails, so to speak, with the realism as well) and the THPS series started to seem like a moot point.

It was then that they tried (in desperation IMHO) to reboot the series with something interesting. "Ride" was a great idea on paper, but in that it didn't work, was the nail in the coffin for the series.

I've tried to get into Skate 3 but its just too hard for me. I basically suck at everything apart from those missions where you have to injure yourself haha

i liked THPS more because of its simple "arcadey" style of gameplay, but seeing as you're a skater irl i could see why you like skate more
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSWXqC7Dlhs - The Legend Of Don Piano
#14plo617Posted 1/24/2013 4:17:48 AM
Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
Blame Neversoft for driving a great franchise in the PS1/PS2 era into the ground.

American Wasteland
Underground
Proving Ground
Project 8

Too many rebrandings that destroyed the core of the original gameplay. They would be on Tony Hawk Pro-Skater 10 and that would've been okay by me.

The first Underground was awesome though. IMO, it was the last great Tony Hawk game.
#15Reginleif20Posted 1/24/2013 4:18:59 AM
Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
Blame Neversoft for driving a great franchise in the PS1/PS2 era into the ground.

American Wasteland
Underground
Proving Ground
Project 8

Too many rebrandings that destroyed the core of the original gameplay. They would be on Tony Hawk Pro-Skater 10 and that would've been okay by me.

Tony Hawk... Great... *hysterical laughter*
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#16MrSmadSmartAlexPosted 1/24/2013 4:38:53 AM
wstfld posted...
Underground was awesome.

The first Underground was okay, although the gameplay and graphics were inferior to THPS4. The second one was crap.
#17Evel138Posted 1/24/2013 5:12:41 AM
LionheartCJ posted...
Evel138 posted...

I've tried to get into Skate 3 but its just too hard for me. I basically suck at everything apart from those missions where you have to injure yourself haha

i liked THPS more because of its simple "arcadey" style of gameplay, but seeing as you're a skater irl i could see why you like skate more

Yeah, 3 is my least favorite. The first game was the best by far IMHO. The realism was the closest out if the three and had there been a few of the tweaks put in by game 2 (such as getting off your board to walk and placing obstacles), the first would have been perfect.

Don't get me wrong though, I have a lot of love for the THPS games.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Sackboy
http://fav.me/d5qo006