This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hard Disk AND Hardware Failure??

#1Vodoochild81Posted 1/24/2013 12:16:01 AM(edited)
So I recently had a lot of weird issues with disk read errors on blue rays and games ... slow loading, and it hanging on black screens....

Support had me restore the disk but after the restore it just flashed a green then yellow light but then stayed red. I though the YLOD stays yellow...

So I took my hard drive out of the machine and hooked it up to a SATA charger and the hard drive made a loud clicking noise. This led me to believe that this was a dead HD.

I bought a 2.5 SATA 320gb HD and put that in the PS3, however I am still getting the quick green, yellow and then red light flashing.

Is it really possible that the ps3 had a hard drive failure and logic board failure??? CouldI possibly need to reset something for it to recognize the new HD?

Before total failure I backed up my PS3 save data to a USB stick. If I buy a ps3 slim tommorow how do I transfer the save files to the new one? As long as I recover my PSN account I should be okay right?
#2beebarbPosted 1/24/2013 12:24:08 AM(edited)
Vodoochild81 posted...
Is it really possible that the ps3 had a hard drive failure and logic board failure??? CouldI possibly need to reset something for it to recognize the new HD?

Before total failure I backed up my PS3 save data to a USB stick. If I buy a ps3 slim tommorow how do I transfer the save files to the new one? As long as I recover my PSN account I should be okay right?

The system should be booting into safe mode so that the hard disk can be formatted, and the OS installed from a System Update file on a USB flash drive (or as you called it USB stick).

The fact that it isn't definitely implies a hardware failure. Anyway, if the system won't even boot properly there is nothing you can do to get it to recognise the new hard drive.

When you get a new PS3, you have to remotely deactivate your old PS3 so you can properly use your PSN account with the new system. Normally a system deactivation should be done on the system to be deactivated, but that is no longer an option for you.

Once that is done, and the new system activated for your PSN account, you can easily copy save files from the USB flash drive using the Save Data Utility. You will have to unfortunately download any DLC, Patches and PSN Games again.

Edit: It is indeed possible (but highly unlikely) that someone could have the misfortune of two simultaneous hardware failures.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#3Vodoochild81(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 12:27:11 AM
are you sure about the system deactivation? When I got a new vita my PSN account loaded right up on the new one without deactivating my old one. I guess I will call customer support to verify.
#4beebarbPosted 1/24/2013 1:35:17 AM
Vodoochild81 posted...
are you sure about the system deactivation? When I got a new vita my PSN account loaded right up on the new one without deactivating my old one. I guess I will call customer support to verify.

You can only have a limited number of each type of system activated for your account, it's best you deactivate each system as they fail so if you have to replace your system again in the future, you'll be able to activate the new system.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644