This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ni No Kuni is the highest rated and overall BEST JRPG this gen

#111CronoGuyverPosted 1/24/2013 11:47:16 AM
It is a good game but the best it is not (Jrpg that is), it all depends on the preference of the gamer at question.
---
Those who come with a sword, will die by the sword.
#112ToadWarriorPosted 1/24/2013 11:47:18 AM
Dark and Demon's Souls aren't JRPGs, neither is Dragons Dogma.....

It's a genre, doesn't matter where the game was developed.
#113HeyItsZantPosted 1/24/2013 11:55:40 AM
ToadWarrior posted...
^ NNK is much better than Xenoblade......

http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/
---
Click This Link For a Moment of Epicness:
http://tinyurl.com/9wap6t4 (Works every time!)
#114ToadWarriorPosted 1/24/2013 12:02:35 PM
I guess......

But seriously if you like that dialogue and acting you have very questionable taste.
#115timborobotPosted 1/24/2013 12:02:59 PM
ZenGamer64 posted...
The "souls" games, while good, are not RPGs. Unless, of course, anything with an inventory is counted as an RPG.

If you really want to get down to it, almost every video game is an RPG. Because you are "role"-playing as a character that is not yourself.
But if you want to get technical about it Demon's/Dark Souls would probably classify as an Action RPG, or at least an Action Game with strong RPG elements. Its leveling system makes it more a RPG than its inventory system does.

Ni No Kuni is friggin awesome, I'm only a couple hours into it. So far it is more like watching a video than playing a game, and I enjoy that.

But come on, Demon's/Dark Souls are probably the best games so far to hit the market in my adult lifetime, and should not even be compared to any other games let alone Ni No Kuni.

If you are criticizing Ni No Kuni because the main character is a child, you obviously have a naive and superficial understanding of symbolism.
If you are criticizing it because you feel that the artwork is childish, again you obviously have a naive and superficial understanding of symbolism.
Do a little research.
---
This message was made with recycled electrons.
#116VasQwibQwibPosted 1/24/2013 2:34:46 PM
alpo706 posted...

The trouble with this premise is that there is absolutely no reason to make a story a game if you're going to do this. Got a great story? Great characters? No gameplay to speak of? Great, make a movie. Make an anime. Not a game.

and if you don't believe me that these titles fail as pure games, try to imagine any FF without a narrative.

WRPGs have generally more limited narratives, but the gameplay exists to serve the narrative. You can't make a WRPG as an anime without losing the critical element of audience participation. It's a GAME, not a movie with some mini-games thrown in.

The genre is dying, and thank God for that. That will leave all of those talented writers, composers and animators free to make movies, which is what they should have been doing all along.

I agree that most JRPG's are starting to go down the path you mention (Visual fidelity + cutscenes with little gameplay = bad JRPG like FF XIII), but I couldn't disagree more on the death of the genre.

While the genre does mostly focus on narrative, this does not automatically mean that gameplay in all of such games will be disconnected from the story it is trying to tell. JRPG's can have engaging gameplay, link this with its narrative and cause the player to be more engaged with the game as a whole. The problem isn't that it is not possible, but that the genre's kings have mostly gone down the wrong path.

You couldn't change old-school JRPG's into movies or anime's just like that. Gameplay doesn't merely engage on a batte-to-battle basis. Spending more time with characters can create a deeper involvement around the plot if its interactivity is well executed, it can cause you to look at things and characters in a different light, simply because of the effort you (and the game's characters) put into them. The gameplay can alter your view and experience of the game and dismissing these things merely on the fact that you're not in control of everything at all times is not the right choice.

Look at Tales games, for example. Their battle system is often incredibly fun to play and their gameplay adds to the game, rather than subtracting from it. They allow for tons of exploration and allow you to experience multiple things in a different order, rather than forcing you to walk in a straight path towards the next cutscene. Spending time with the characters made me feel a stronger connection to them and the chat during other quests and dungeon explorations and the occasional talks they have during and after fights only adds to that. I would hate ToS/V if it were an anime, but I love it as a game. Persona 3 & 4 also added a blank slate character, allowing for a more personal story and allowing you to slightly alter the game's events and outcome. They are incredibly well executed games and they do not have a huge following for no reason. The WRPG genre steals from other genres to improve itself and so should the JRPG

The problem isn't that it is a bad genre, the problem is that the industry refuses to improve. They are no longer the single good genre for engaging narrative, but they've stuck to old-fashioned gameplay and went down a cinematic road. I don't want it to die, I want it to improve itself and thrive. There are so many things, such as brilliantly designed and magical worlds with fun and quirky characters, that JRPG's are often capable of delivering if they actually decided to move forward. Losing JRPGs would be losing an incredibly important and unique part of games as a whole.

Your example of taking out a single aspect of a game is also flawed. Take out Skyrim's narrative and the game is just about mindlessly slashing or shooting things without any context. WRPG's lose a core aspect if you take out their narrative. Besides, JRPG's thrive on the narrative, which is exactly why they should start working on their gameplay. They don't need to stop existing, they need to improve.
#117RomangeloPosted 1/25/2013 10:16:05 PM
VasQwibQwib posted...
I agree that most JRPG's are starting to go down the path you mention (Visual fidelity + cutscenes with little gameplay = bad JRPG like FF XIII), but I couldn't disagree more on the death of the genre.

FFXIII has an awesome gameplay and battle system. people just hate it for its linearity and boring story.

don't be a blinded hater.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > X-2 > XIII > TLR > VIII > VII > IV > IX > III > I > II