This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ni No Kuni is the highest rated and overall BEST JRPG this gen

#91Spiroth_KweehhPosted 1/24/2013 10:33:09 AM
Zurrur posted...
Ni No Kuni got terrible score from famitsu even FFXIII-2 got 40/40
So Ni No Kuni must suck

95% for DS version and 90% for PS3 version are "terrible scores"? LOL.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#92kloud 11Posted 1/24/2013 10:34:01 AM
ScreamingMidget posted...
Nope!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/demons-souls
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dark-souls
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/xenoblade-chronicles

He defeated
#93Spiroth_KweehhPosted 1/24/2013 10:35:00 AM
kloud 11 posted...
ScreamingMidget posted...
Nope!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/demons-souls
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dark-souls
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/xenoblade-chronicles

He defeated

Post #87
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#94VasQwibQwibPosted 1/24/2013 10:50:16 AM
1. Defining a genre purely on mechanics is incredibly flawed. You don't define a game's genre simply by a superficial view of its mechanics, but by the underlying reason as to why one would play the game. The core element of a game's design. The name JRPG does indeed mean Japanese Role Playing Game, but an RPG doesn't immediately fall into that genre, simply because it's japanese. The same way Portal isn't an FPS, even though it's first-person and contains shooting a certain gun. Zelda is more of an action-adventure game, because even though the game tells you a story and you are playing the role of link, those are not the core aspect of the game. A lot of games contain mechanics most often seen in other genre's, but since it's not a core element of the game, it doesn't influence the genre.

2. WRPG and JRPG are two fundamentally different things, but their naming is flawed. The two genres often try to achieve two completely different things and by mashing both together, you'd basically be merging two completely different games in nearly every aspect into a single group.

3. Dark Souls is a Japanese RPG, but it's not a JRPG and is instead at its core a WRPG. The reason why this sounds odd is because we've been incorrectly dividing them by their geographical location, rather than concentrating what both genre's usually try to achieve. JRPG's are more often than not narrative driven and intend to tell you their story which are carefully crafted for you, whereas WRPG's focus on placing the player inside a story, creating a more personal story and allowing more room for expression and fulfilling a player's fantasy.

Dark Souls is a WRPG, because it doesn't focus directly on narrative, on interpersonal relationships and whatnot. It concentrates on allowing the player to express him/herself by creating an own character, forging an own adventure and allow you to take in the story at your own pace (or not take in anything at all. You can argue about turn-based gameplay and whatnot, but I doubt a lot of people buy JRPG's simply BECAUSE they're turn-based, but rather what they offer the player that other genre's cannot provide.

Thinking that Dark Souls isn't an RPG at all is beyond moronic, as you'd both be dismissing the core aspect of the game that falls into the western category and the customization element that is so frequent in role playing games.

Toxicum_S posted...
Well, i really want, but cant force myself to even try this game - overall style is SOOO CHILDISH, its unbearable :( Looks like cartoon for 4-6 years old. Even if game much deeper, than its look (and i believe that its true ), its look incredibly stupid.

If that is your problem, then this game is not for you. Ghibli's works have never concentrating on weaving complex storylines. They've always worked towards evoking emotion and creating a memorable, magical and unique world for the viewer/player. Of course, the emotion they want the viewer/player to feel differs with every movie -- See spirited away (awe, intrigue and joy) and Grave of the fireflies (soul-shattering drama) --, but they've always concentrated on allowing for a memorable experience that we cannot reach through reality.

I haven't bought the game yet, as it's not yet released in Europe, but if it is capable of creating a similar experience I've consistently gotten out of their movies, I don't care whether I'm playing a toddler, a teenager, an adult, a grumpy space marine or a sand-being with a long scarf. Also, their movies are not childish, they're child-like.

kingofall214 posted...
If you count vita as this gen then

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/persona-4-golden

Even though I'm a huge P4 fan, it's still technically a PS2 game, despite its upgrades.

Frankly, I don't care about comparing it to existing games or comparing genres. I only care whether the game is good or not.
#95renzsweetPosted 1/24/2013 11:00:41 AM
It is fun so far, but Eternal Sonata and Lost Oddyssey are really great games in my opinion.
---
I praise the name of Jesus.
#96RollingCradlePosted 1/24/2013 11:04:06 AM
Wind Waker Remake says otherwise!
#97toomanymouthsPosted 1/24/2013 11:04:14 AM
I haven't played Ni No Kuni yet, but I have a hard time believing it will beat out Xenoblade Chronicles.
#98alpo706Posted 1/24/2013 11:15:38 AM(edited)
VasQwibQwib posted...
1. Defining a genre purely on mechanics is incredibly flawed. You don't define a game's genre simply by a superficial view of its mechanics, but by the underlying reason as to why one would play the game. The core element of a game's design. The name JRPG does indeed mean Japanese Role Playing Game, but an RPG doesn't immediately fall into that genre, simply because it's japanese. The same way Portal isn't an FPS, even though it's first-person and contains shooting a certain gun. Zelda is more of an action-adventure game, because even though the game tells you a story and you are playing the role of link, those are not the core aspect of the game. A lot of games contain mechanics most often seen in other genre's, but since it's not a core element of the game, it doesn't influence the genre.

2. WRPG and JRPG are two fundamentally different things, but their naming is flawed. The two genres often try to achieve two completely different things and by mashing both together, you'd basically be merging two completely different games in nearly every aspect into a single group.

3. Dark Souls is a Japanese RPG, but it's not a JRPG and is instead at its core a WRPG. The reason why this sounds odd is because we've been incorrectly dividing them by their geographical location, rather than concentrating what both genre's usually try to achieve. JRPG's are more often than not narrative driven and intend to tell you their story which are carefully crafted for you, whereas WRPG's focus on placing the player inside a story, creating a more personal story and allowing more room for expression and fulfilling a player's fantasy.

Literally everything you say here is correct. It's what you don't say that is problematic.

JRPGs, as you point out, have a narrative on rails, and you simply play through THEIR story. The trouble with this premise is that there is absolutely no reason to make a story a game if you're going to do this. Got a great story? Great characters? No gameplay to speak of? Great, make a movie. Make an anime. Not a game. The gameplay that exists in these titles (to the extent that any exists at all), has no relationship whatsoever with the game's narrative or themes. It's merely a movie slapped together with a totally unrelated and really bad game (and if you don't believe me that these titles fail as pure games, try to imagine any FF without a narrative).

WRPGs have generally more limited narratives, but the gameplay exists to serve the narrative. You can't make a WRPG as an anime without losing the critical element of audience participation. It's a GAME, not a movie with some mini-games thrown in.

And as our expectations for gameplay grow, audiences are gradually becoming hip to how vacuous JRPGs are. This topic is fantastically irrelevant, it's a bit like making assertions about the best deck on the Titanic. Who cares? The genre is dying, and thank God for that. That will leave all of those talented writers, composers and animators free to make movies, which is what they should have been doing all along.
#99overmaxxPosted 1/24/2013 11:23:51 AM
Xenoblade is by far the best JRPG of this generation.

But feel free to try for second place.
#100The_DjokerPosted 1/24/2013 11:24:50 AM
Persona 4 Golden is the highest rated JRPG EVER not just this gen.

Can't beat Persona 4 baby.
---
http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/476663/p4an.gif