This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do we go about getting rid of the black and white choices that plague games?

#1The_Zora_KingPosted 1/24/2013 11:49:00 AM
Even in the most critically acclaimed games (Mass Effect, Bioshock, Fallout series), the games suffer from having the most easy choices ever. It's extremely blatant what is the morally right choice and what is the evil choice. Obviously freeing the slaves and not killing little girls is something good and enslaving people and killing little girls is something evil. It's not that difficult to go down the path you want. It's too easy.

I kind of wish these games didn't have a karma meter and instead would focus on the choices alone and how they affect the game. Don't even tell us whether they're good or not and make whether they're good or not less obvious.

I've never played the Witcher 2, but I hear it does something like that.

Even making the missions more grey would be better. For example, the Oasis mission in Fallout 3 Let's you decide if you want to end a man's suffering, as he asks or if you will keep him alive for the good of humanity. That was interesting and made me think. I felt bad whichever way I did it. Or, have a nice little twist, like completing Tenpenny Tower by Integrating the Ghouls and the Humans...you know what happens.

Life is rarely black and white. Video games should reflect that.
---
Favorite Game of the Year thus far: Silent Hill: Downpour 8/10
A true throwback to classic survival horror
#2The_Zora_King(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 11:55:30 AM
I'm going to delete this topic now.
---
#3656stoogePosted 1/24/2013 12:02:02 PM
No you're not.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#4656stoogePosted 1/24/2013 12:03:28 PM
Anyway, play games like The Witcher 2, Fallout NV and Alpha Protocol.
---
#5The_Zora_King(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 12:08:00 PM
Are the choices in New Vegas more grey?
---
#6656stoogePosted 1/24/2013 12:21:19 PM(edited)
The_Zora_King posted...
Are the choices in New Vegas more grey?

Yes. There's no immediately clear right or wrong answer to many important choices. For example, one of the towns in the game needs a new sheriff because their old one was shot.
They nominate you to elect one and the choices are something like: A prisoner who used to be a sheriff but was jailed for taking the law into his own hands and murdering someone, a robot that you re-programmed but you're not sure if he could be re-programmed by someone else and used for wrong (he might also kill everyone in town. you never know), a Lt from the army, but he's very strict, not from the town and wants to offer shelter to his regiment which could cause trouble down the line, or you tell them to get lost and sort it out themselves.
---
#7HaigicotsuPosted 1/24/2013 12:24:15 PM
Go play Catherine.
---
UMVC3 --Nemesis/Phoenix Wright/ Akuma
#8theshovellerPosted 1/24/2013 12:26:26 PM
I've heard the choices in Spec Ops: The Line are fairly good at presenting the whole "morally gray" area thing. They don't really say "this is good!" or "this is bad!" and the ending adjusts and, from several people, I've heard it feels like it's "the only way it could have ended."
#9656stoogePosted 1/24/2013 12:28:08 PM
But The Witcher 2 is probably the best of the bunch. One of the main characters in the game was being a huge ass and eventually I'd had enough, so I got one of the characters to kill him for me. I wasn't punished, I didn't feel evil because IMO he had it coming, and the story changed to accommodate the fact that I'd just killed an important character.

That's not a spoil by the way, as I'm pretty sure you can arrange to have a few characters killed and you don't have to if you don't feel it's the right call.

The other thing I love about it is I can demand people repay me for my services. You know how in Mass Effect when someone offers you a reward you get a bunch of paragon points if you tell them to keep it? Well for some reason I always feel forced to play the goody, goody and let them keep the reward. Well in The Witcher 2 you can demand they pay you even more then they offer and it doesn't punish you. It also doesn't make you feel like a jerk because, as your character points out, you're a bounty hunter and this is your job.
---
#10TheMcKnightMarePosted 1/24/2013 12:29:50 PM
The Walking Dead..
---
PSN: TheMcKnightMare - Twitter: @TheMcKnightMare