This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking back at it from today ,was adding Bluray a smart move by sony?

#11SigmaHacielPosted 1/24/2013 12:08:09 PM
Blu-Ray tried becoming the defining standard, but it really hasn't yet.

It also caused the PS3 to almost require an install of some kind of the game data because the Blu-Ray has too much capacity to be read with any kind of efficiency.
#12EoinPosted 1/24/2013 12:09:04 PM
JoveHack posted...
As far as I understand it, Sony doesn't own BluRay. So by using it to beat HD-DVD Sony won a battle for the companies that do own it. With no big reward for their efforts that I can see.

No one company owns Blu-ray. The format is owned and licensed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) of which Sony is a member (and in fact a Board member). The license fees paid to the BDA are split several ways, including to Sony. This means that Sony get some money out of every single Blu-ray player sold, every Blu-ray drive sold, and every Blu-ray disc sold.
#13Dave4202Posted 1/24/2013 12:09:32 PM
Eoin posted...
Dave4202 posted...
If it couldn't play blu-rays, GoW3 and MGS4 would have been 4-5 discs.

Or they'd have compressed things more and gotten them down to one disc, or two at the most.

Ok then let me re word that,

If it couldn't play blu-rays, GoW3 and MGS4 in all their uncompressed glory would have been 4-5 discs or had to deal with compressed grainy sounding audio.

There, happy?
---
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=KingGuy420&platform=ps3
#14Lelouch71Posted 1/24/2013 1:34:51 PM
As far as the format goes, it paid off. However, it came at a price for the PS3. Losing a lot of money is never a good thing.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#15Great_Pudding_3Posted 1/24/2013 1:38:14 PM
PHEEliNUX posted...
este914 posted...
PHEEliNUX posted...
If PS3 couldn't play Blu-ray it couldn't play games

It would just be some other format then

Make 2 Models i guess then, Movies are for boring people

A model only for children may not sell very well though.
---
NNID: ChocoboDragoon
GT: Chocobo Dragoon
#16Ace_StrifePosted 1/24/2013 2:13:10 PM
I was going to say "yes, definitely," but then I realized that I've only ever played a handful of Blurays on my PS3, and most of the movies I watch I stream through a service, either through my PS3 or other devices.

In fact, what Sony did right was allow for us to use external HDDs rather easily, rather than buying Sony brand HDDs at a ridiculous price (ahem).

Moving forward, I think the focus should be on online services/streaming, which should probably include a massive internal HDD, but as long as we can still use our own external devices, and if the PS4 can quickly stream such data, then it should be fine anyway.
---
"Only good thing about Sephy was his music; Only thing he ever did was throw his mom at you and stab a flowergirl." - BattleJesus
#17private400(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 1:15:00 AM
Bump
---
you don't really know a woman 'til you've had a strong drink and a fistfight with her. - nord wisdom from utgherd the unbroken
#18EternalDividePosted 1/25/2013 3:37:24 AM
Considering the initial cost of it to be in the PS3 to begin with and now considering it hasn't dethroned DVD as the main medium people buy their movies on. Plus the advent of streaming services eating at their market from what I've read.

Is it nice to have? Yes. I know I wouldn't own a BR player otherwise. But even then I buy most of my titles on DVD unless it's something really worth it to me like Avengers was.

Was it necessary for this generation? I don't think so. 360 got on fine without it. This coming generation would have been the better starting point IMHO. But whatever, it doesn't really matter.
---
I support Alex Smith #11
#19killakPosted 1/25/2013 3:50:50 AM
Would've been better off with DVD as it's media, and adding alot more RAM
---
Greer Logic: "I don't want a game that's always the same. I want a game that never changes"
#20EoinPosted 1/25/2013 3:52:23 AM
EternalDivide posted...
Considering the initial cost of it to be in the PS3 to begin with and now considering it hasn't dethroned DVD as the main medium people buy their movies on.

I don't think the BDA really expected Blu-ray to take over from DVD in the same way that DVD took over from VHS. However, Blu-ray has captured a significant portion of the home video market, probably including the most profitable parts of it, and it would have provided an overall sales boost to that market due to repeat sales and increased levels of consumer interest. It'll probably become the most popular physical disc format over the next few years.

EternalDivide posted...
Plus the advent of streaming services eating at their market from what I've read.

I suspect that they're eating more at DVD than at Blu-ray (right now, at least).