This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is saints row 3?

#1XNo_FearXPosted 1/24/2013 12:52:51 PM
never played SR 2 or 3 and i might wanna try SR3 but how is the story, replay value, overall fun and the DLC?
---
PSN ID: Ctx_Ghost
Playing: Far Cry 3, Payday The Heist, DmC (PS3) and Mark of the Ninja
#2theshovellerPosted 1/24/2013 1:00:53 PM
My personal opinion:

I loved it of the three games because it's the least serious of the three games. While the original one was more of a GTA clone, the second one had some lighthearted missions, this one's over-the-top with the insanity. It's fun to play, and you can do some pretty cool stuff later on, as well as get some neat vehicles and weapons and such while playing - you can even unlock a Tron-style motorcycle and car.

As for the DLC, a lot of it is fluffer material - costumes, maybe a few joke-style weapons, that sort of thing. The Season Pass is mostly worth it, but if you absolutely must try to make it cheaper, then I would say to pass on the GenkiBowl DLC, as it doesn't add a whole lot, in my opinion - a few minigames, and that's it. As for the other DLC stuff, I would say grab the Spec Ops pack - the VTOL comes in extremely handy early on in the game, and nothing says cool like flying around the city in that thing.

Whole game has co-op - story missions included - but the only downside to that is you only see your character in the cutscenes, and not their character, regardless if you're the one hosting or joining. Also, once you learn a few tricks, getting money becomes a lot easier (but I won't mention those since it'd ruin the fun for some people.)
#3ninjarobot_22Posted 1/24/2013 1:01:21 PM
The story is WTF but the game is more about the fun game play. I rate it an 8.5/10
---
"Thanks for the input Jeff."
#4Crimson SkysPosted 1/24/2013 1:02:37 PM
I liked it better than the other games in the series.
---
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)
#5superlativeformPosted 1/24/2013 1:06:32 PM
It's great, especially if you're into over the top action, dry humor, or open world games.
---
Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here.
PSN: Contra_Croix
#6Teepo64Posted 1/24/2013 1:10:50 PM(edited)
Saints Row 2 and Saints Row: The Third is probably one of the best gaming examples of quantity vs quality.

Saints Row: The Third has an awesome melee system but doesn't have the Fight Club feature from Saints Row 2.

Saints Row: The Third has WAY better driving than Saints Row 2, but the races present in Saints Row 2 are now gone.

Saints Row: The Third has way better looking clothes/suits/costumes but the feature to wear clothes in different manner are now gone.

I do believe Saints Row: The Third is a better game. The controls of Saints Row 2 are basically XBOX 360 controls ported to the PS3 (R2 is fire weapon, instead of R1). It's rather annoying.
---
"If I kept it any more real, physics as we know it, would cease to remain the same."
#7ElDudorinoPosted 1/24/2013 1:22:08 PM
I guess I'm one of the only ones who very much . prefers SR2. I don't really find myself having all that much fun in SR3, and the story does nothing for me. There don't seem to be as many fun side activities and there's also no real sense of progression because you start out rich and well-equipped.
#8SolidLiquid25Posted 1/24/2013 1:25:35 PM
It saved THQ from bankruptcy that's how good it is!!!

Imagine if that statement was true.
---
------------------------------
#9theshovellerPosted 1/24/2013 1:30:36 PM
SolidLiquid25 posted...
It saved THQ from bankruptcy that's how good it is!!!

Imagine if that statement was true.

If only they didn't bank on every game being the next Halo, they'd still be around and I'd be happy. I think that was their biggest downfall, personally. They tried to build Red Faction into a "media franchise" like .hack or something, what with that deal with Sci-Fi Channel, but that bombed when Armageddon didn't take off. Then they needed to sell a ton of copies of Darksiders 2 or so to break even, and while it was good, it didn't sell the millions of millions of copies they needed it to. Then with them already working on the next Saint's Row "thing," I think it just broke the THQ camel's back.

Personally, I'd like to see Red Faction and maybe even Summoner (if Koch Media somehow got that as part of the Volition deal) make a comeback, and be somewhat close to their original roots (a story-based FPS with Red Faction and a D&D-esque RPG with Summoner.)
#10judge doomPosted 1/24/2013 1:43:39 PM
Saints Row 2 can be described as "you got some crazy in my sanity"
Saints Row 3 is "you got some crazy in my insanity"

I liked the over the top parts of Saints Row 2 because it had normal parts to really make the over the top stuff stand out and seem funny. SR3 removes all the normal so that the crazy stuff became the norm and I got bored with it fast. There's only so many times I will laugh at killing someone with a dldo baseball bat before it's just not funny anymore, and SR3 is still trying to pass it off as hilarious till the end.

I also didn't like the direction they took a few of the characters from SR2 in when it came to SR3, but you won't know the difference if you skip 2.