This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have you ever bought a used game just to not support the company?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Have you ever bought a used game just to not support the company?

User Info: regsantotomas

regsantotomas
4 years ago#41
Buying used or not is a personal choice. I don't think anyone should be judged for choosing to support that market or not.

The idea, however, that buying used is a form of protest is a preposterous one.
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego

User Info: Great_Pudding_3

Great_Pudding_3
4 years ago#42
No, and I don't really get the point. They've already made money on the sale of the copy in the first place. It just seems hypocritical of the supposed "values" you're fighting for.
NNID: ChocoboDragoon
GT: Chocobo Dragoon

User Info: mjc0961

mjc0961
4 years ago#43
justchill433 posted...
No. If you actually do this then you are a sad POS. Have some self control. If you hate a company that much then you don't get to play it. Seriously, its like going on strike but still asking for pay.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6187-Why-Boycotts-Fail-Where-Whining-Tantrums-Win
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey

User Info: PPPPLAASSUMA

PPPPLAASSUMA
4 years ago#44
The only time I ever do this is to screw over a Scientologist.

I refuse to spend money on movies with Will Smith, John Travolta, Tom Cruise, etc.. IF it's a title I actually do want to see (it happens, albeit very rarely, scientologist actors tend to suck), I acquire it.... differently.

But video games? No, I don't have a vendetta against anyone in the game industry. Yet. Square is getting there though..... a few more awful decisions and I may opt to put the company out of its misery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.

User Info: Kungfu Kenobi

Kungfu Kenobi
4 years ago#45
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6187-Why-Boycotts-Fail-Where-Whining-Tantrums-Win

Jim is a guy with his head screwed on straight. Thank god for him.
Check out www.axemurderingworms.com . And remember kids: Sound isn't music, Books aren't stories, This is not a pipe, and The medium is the message.

User Info: Ertrick36

Ertrick36
4 years ago#46
I am planning to buy a used game to hurt a company, while still symbolically supporting it. I plan to buy an inexpensive, used copy of Resident Evil 6 because from what I've heard, there are many shortcomings with this game that I believe Capcom deserves less than they hoped for because of them. I am not one of those fans that just outright hates the new games; I like both the classic and new games. However, I believe that some of the aspects of their more recent games need to be addressed and they need to hurt for that. So I buy a used copy so that I will show that I am still willing to buy their games, but I don't want to reward them for a lackluster job. I will not help them reach a goal they don't deserve to reach.
What determines whether a game is good is your experience every time you play the game, not the opinions of other people (unless you let it do so).

User Info: ultron

ultron
4 years ago#47
I simply won't buy or get the game at all if I didn't approve the company's methods, like Enslaved/DmC from ninja theory.

Regardless of whether it's used or free, I simply won't get it because I don't like them.

User Info: don_juan_darko

don_juan_darko
4 years ago#48
You want a game but the company that makes it is greedy and has disc locked content/a lot of overpriced dlc/ignores fans. Do you buy the game used in this situation?

Nope, I just wait for the price to drop. Most of the time you can find games brand new for the same price (or less) than used anyway.

User Info: CyhortI82

CyhortI82
4 years ago#49
Of course not. I never get mad at someone for trying to make money. The only reason I don't buy a game new is because I'm not interested in it enough to get it on release day.
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)

User Info: Jon_God

Jon_God
4 years ago#50
The Halo games, post 2.

Besides that...? I thought about buying some activision games used, but I've ended up not buying a single activision game this generation.
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Have you ever bought a used game just to not support the company?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived