This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have you ever bought a used game just to not support the company?

#41regsantotomasPosted 1/24/2013 3:41:13 PM
Buying used or not is a personal choice. I don't think anyone should be judged for choosing to support that market or not.

The idea, however, that buying used is a form of protest is a preposterous one.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#42Great_Pudding_3Posted 1/24/2013 3:41:58 PM
No, and I don't really get the point. They've already made money on the sale of the copy in the first place. It just seems hypocritical of the supposed "values" you're fighting for.
---
NNID: ChocoboDragoon
GT: Chocobo Dragoon
#43mjc0961Posted 1/24/2013 3:52:52 PM
justchill433 posted...
No. If you actually do this then you are a sad POS. Have some self control. If you hate a company that much then you don't get to play it. Seriously, its like going on strike but still asking for pay.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6187-Why-Boycotts-Fail-Where-Whining-Tantrums-Win
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#44PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 1/24/2013 3:52:58 PM
The only time I ever do this is to screw over a Scientologist.

I refuse to spend money on movies with Will Smith, John Travolta, Tom Cruise, etc.. IF it's a title I actually do want to see (it happens, albeit very rarely, scientologist actors tend to suck), I acquire it.... differently.

But video games? No, I don't have a vendetta against anyone in the game industry. Yet. Square is getting there though..... a few more awful decisions and I may opt to put the company out of its misery.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.
#45Kungfu KenobiPosted 1/24/2013 3:58:34 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6187-Why-Boycotts-Fail-Where-Whining-Tantrums-Win

Jim is a guy with his head screwed on straight. Thank god for him.
---
Check out www.axemurderingworms.com . And remember kids: Sound isn't music, Books aren't stories, This is not a pipe, and The medium is the message.
#46Ertrick36Posted 1/24/2013 4:00:35 PM
I am planning to buy a used game to hurt a company, while still symbolically supporting it. I plan to buy an inexpensive, used copy of Resident Evil 6 because from what I've heard, there are many shortcomings with this game that I believe Capcom deserves less than they hoped for because of them. I am not one of those fans that just outright hates the new games; I like both the classic and new games. However, I believe that some of the aspects of their more recent games need to be addressed and they need to hurt for that. So I buy a used copy so that I will show that I am still willing to buy their games, but I don't want to reward them for a lackluster job. I will not help them reach a goal they don't deserve to reach.
---
What determines whether a game is good is your experience every time you play the game, not the opinions of other people (unless you let it do so).
#47ultronPosted 1/24/2013 4:03:06 PM
I simply won't buy or get the game at all if I didn't approve the company's methods, like Enslaved/DmC from ninja theory.

Regardless of whether it's used or free, I simply won't get it because I don't like them.
#48don_juan_darkoPosted 1/24/2013 4:04:40 PM
You want a game but the company that makes it is greedy and has disc locked content/a lot of overpriced dlc/ignores fans. Do you buy the game used in this situation?

Nope, I just wait for the price to drop. Most of the time you can find games brand new for the same price (or less) than used anyway.
#49CyhortI82Posted 1/24/2013 4:04:47 PM
Of course not. I never get mad at someone for trying to make money. The only reason I don't buy a game new is because I'm not interested in it enough to get it on release day.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#50Jon_GodPosted 1/24/2013 4:07:47 PM
The Halo games, post 2.

Besides that...? I thought about buying some activision games used, but I've ended up not buying a single activision game this generation.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/