This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to replay a tomb raider game on ps3

#11este914Posted 1/25/2013 11:15:12 AM
Tomb Raider 2 (playable on your PS3)
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#12GradyHooverPosted 1/25/2013 11:35:29 AM
este914 posted...

Are there actually people who prefer the old PS1 Tomb Raider games above the modern ones from Legend and onward?

I thought that population was precisely zero, because everyone realizes the controls and gameplay of the old ones was always terrible now, it just seemed so "new" at the time.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#13MKDShola69Posted 1/25/2013 1:55:27 PM
GradyHoover posted...
este914 posted...

Are there actually people who prefer the old PS1 Tomb Raider games above the modern ones from Legend and onward?

I thought that population was precisely zero, because everyone realizes the controls and gameplay of the old ones was always terrible now, it just seemed so "new" at the time.

Yes. I was brought up with those games. They are real Tomb Raider games, not these stupid new ones with checkpoints. If you made a mistake back then you started over, none of this restarting 5 feet from where you fell

Sure the controls weren't the greatest but they worked. They contained huge levels and most of them you could go anywhere you wanted. There was no direct path. That was true exploration
---
The moment you declare your own topic an epic win is the moment you fail. ~ kjrokanoshi
#14RafedxPosted 1/25/2013 2:02:06 PM
GradyHoover posted...
este914 posted...

You are totally out of the loop when it comes to Tomb Raider fans. Most are fans of the old one; The controllers while tank like still get the job done. Legend, Anniversary and Underworld failed to deliver the atmosphere of the originals, the feeling of isolation and actually getting spooked by some of the different enemies. The levels were uninspired, the characters were pretty bland and they have technical issues mainly Underworld.

With your logic though you make it sound like all old games are terrible and their new incarnations are the more popular versions, which just is not true for a whole bunch of games.

People still make mods for the old TR games, new levels and all that good stuff.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#15GradyHooverPosted 1/25/2013 2:28:22 PM
MKDShola69 posted...
Yes. I was brought up with those games. They are real Tomb Raider games, not these stupid new ones with checkpoints. If you made a mistake back then you started over, none of this restarting 5 feet from where you fell

Sure the controls weren't the greatest but they worked. They contained huge levels and most of them you could go anywhere you wanted. There was no direct path. That was true exploration

But you could save anywhere in the PC versions, so I always just reloaded two seconds before my mess-up and tried again, over and over, a bazillion times.

Rafedx posted...

With your logic though you make it sound like all old games are terrible and their new incarnations are the more popular versions, which just is not true for a whole bunch of games.

No, I don't think that's true at all. It's just, y'know, Lara didn't control like any realistic human being or in any reasonable way in those old games. That's kind of a big deal. In a game that's focused on acrobatic, fluid movement, the movements you can make are incredibly limited and unrealistic.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#16ShineboxerPosted 1/25/2013 2:32:41 PM
Just get the Trilogy, it's under 30$ used

lol, all the tomb raider games are on sale today on steam for $15.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#17RafedxPosted 1/25/2013 2:36:04 PM
GradyHoover posted...
MKDShola69 posted...

But you could save anywhere in the PC versions, so I always just reloaded two seconds before my mess-up and tried again, over and over, a bazillion times.

Rafedx posted...

No, I don't think that's true at all. It's just, y'know, Lara didn't control like any realistic human being or in any reasonable way in those old games. That's kind of a big deal. In a game that's focused on acrobatic, fluid movement, the movements you can make are incredibly limited and unrealistic.

Most games on the PS1 didn't control realistically. The controls were fine for the way the game was designed. To make specific jumps you knew you had to walk to the edge, jump back and take a running start, or just walk to the edge and jump forward. I was able to beat the good majority of the games on PS1, my wife played and beat them on the PC just using a keyboard. I wouldn't say her movements are limited but they are definitely unrealistic which I mentioned above is like most PS1 games.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#18CTU_007Posted 1/25/2013 8:54:16 PM
GradyHoover posted...
este914 posted...

Aside from prettier graphics and easier controls, what exactly did Legend do that was superior to the classics?

- The game was about 3 hours long.
- Has no challenge whatsoever.
- It was so linear that there is absolutely NO exploration. It might as well be renamed Corridor Raider.
- There is no atmosphere, especially with the 2 morons never shutting up on the radio.
- QTEs thrown in for the sake of having them there.
- 95% of the puzzles involve moving objects onto preasure plates. Its quite hypocritical when people bash the classics for having too much block pushing yet praise Legend's "puzzles" when they're really no different.

Legend was all flash with little substance, and didn't offer anything that Prince of Persia: Sands of Time already had. Most of its praise stems from the fact it was the game that came after Angel of Darkness, and any game could be considered "saving the franchise" after that cluster**** of a game.
#19NovaKaneXPosted 1/25/2013 8:59:51 PM
Underworld was ass cheeks.
---
http://i40.tinypic.com/f50jfr.jpg
Cot damn!
#20don_juan_darkoPosted 1/25/2013 9:15:04 PM
Aside from prettier graphics and easier controls, what exactly did Legend do that was superior to the classics?

Aside from prettier graphics, easier controls, and multi-player what exactly did the Uncharted series do that was superior to Tomb Raider 1 (1996)?

lol, to answer both questions, Tomb Raider Legend and the Uncharted series are actually fun to play.