This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say FFXIII is just "mash x" ?

#11DefYouthPosted 1/24/2013 5:23:42 PM
I find that, in most games, I press "X" a lot.
---
Well, if I'm going to hell, I'm going there playing the piano. - Jerry Lee Lewis
#12ScreamingMidgetPosted 1/24/2013 5:27:33 PM
Because they haven't played any other FF.
#13YomonachiPosted 1/24/2013 5:32:26 PM
In every FF pressing X is always there. I don't understand what people mean here. In fact, you press it more in other FF games because of the lack of auto battle. Auto battle saves my fingers from giving the constant attack attack attack command.
---
1st in the State (Again), 13th in the Nation :) SEN: Soruichi_Kitty
How is one to judge someone if secrets shroud the living?
#14matty549Posted 1/24/2013 5:39:14 PM
It's just not that difficult of a game.
"Mash X" is a hyperbole for sure, but it's hard to deny that 99% of the battles don't require thought.
#15tiornysPosted 1/24/2013 5:41:41 PM
matty549 posted...
"Mash X" is a hyperbole for sure, but it's hard to deny that 99% of the battles don't require thought.

That depends a lot on how much grinding you're willing to do, and how defensively you're willing to play.

t~
#16Still__RippinPosted 1/24/2013 6:09:02 PM
ScreamingMidget posted...
Because they haven't played any other FF.

Wow. Fanboy much?

XIII is completely beatable by holding forward and hitting X a few thousand times. Sure, you don't have to use autobattle but it makes no sense not to 90% of the time.
---
Lupe Fiasco is the best rapper alive.
Currently Playing~ XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Demons Souls, Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, Magic 2013, Skate 2
#17zyrax2301Posted 1/24/2013 6:14:43 PM
You can get through the meat of the game with a Rav/Com/Med paradigm and just using auto-battle. It won't be fun and it certainly won't be the fastest method, but its possible.

Obviously bosses and the occasional rap-battle will require some mediation.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#18Alky88Posted 1/24/2013 6:16:24 PM
matty549 posted...

That's completely false. Most encounters will obliterate you if you don't use the correct paradigms or strategies.
There are many enemies in the various areas that require specific paradigms to survive and if you don't switch that means death. If the target happens to be your character that's also a Game Over.
---
"Official Jill Valentine of the MvC3 boards!"
#19Project-CanaanPosted 1/24/2013 6:27:53 PM
You definitely cannot get past the final boss in chapter 3 by mashing x. He WILL obliterate you.
#20matty549Posted 1/24/2013 6:28:21 PM
Alky88 posted...
matty549 posted...

That's completely false. Most encounters will obliterate you if you don't use the correct paradigms or strategies.
There are many enemies in the various areas that require specific paradigms to survive and if you don't switch that means death. If the target happens to be your character that's also a Game Over.

Yes, you do have to switch paradigms often.... in boss fights. Normal encounters were fine with my generic attack paradigm. Switching paradigms didn't really keep my brain active. I found it to be really easy to switch to my predefined healing paradigm when I saw "yellow" hp in the corner of my eye.

Even if you do get obliterated, big deal. You start over at the exact enemy you died at.