This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say FFXIII is just "mash x" ?

#101king_maddenPosted 1/25/2013 11:41:22 PM
digidevilwil posted...
And its funny that just needing to mash X still makes this harder than any FF before, or at least harder than the hipster installments (7 and up)

I dont think so, the only reason I beat it was because it was so easy. The story wasnt too interesting to me, and the characters werent really memorable, but I figured I would see how far I could go before it got frustrating, but it never did.

the other FF wouldve been more difficult but I loved the combat so I constantly found myself fighting numerous battles and becoming strong enough to take out a lot of people, without doing that I wouldve died more than I already was. 13 didnt require grinding, and was still fairly easy.
#102Benny-26Posted 1/26/2013 6:50:57 AM
Seifer_us posted...

Here are my problems with the battle system:

- It's oriented towards being fast-paced, so the option to put in actions one at a time quickly becomes extraneous. My memory of the game is a bit fuzzy since it's literally been since the end of 2009 that I played it, but I don't recall needing to put in actions manually for the majority of the latter half of the game.

- The ranking is fairly unimportant. Five-star rankings don't really offer rewards that are worth the effort. It doesn't really give you any motivation to do better in battles when the rewards are only slightly better for a five-star rank as opposed to a three-star rank.

- The need to "transition" into battle seems unnecessary. This is obviously a memory issue because they devoted so many resources to graphics that they couldn't display large groups of enemies along with all three party members at the same time and thereby create a smooth transition. A minor quibble, but after Final Fantasy XII's seamless combat, it was somewhat disappointing.

- The need to "break" enemies before being able to deal large amounts of damage makes minor battles take longer than they need to. If they had made it so that only certain creatures needed to be broken, it might have been acceptable; but every creature in the game requiring it makes generic battles take longer than they should and slows down the overall pacing of the game. It's like taking the Pudding's from FFIV and making every enemy in the game require the same tactic of blasting them with magic in order to defeat them. I don't know about you, but if every enemy in FFIV was a variety of Pudding I don't think I'd have ever been able to finish the game.

- The paradigm system is a fine idea, but for a large portion of the game, much of it is locked out to you, and even when everything becomes available there really isn't a lot of variety in it. Early in the game, it's pretty much Blaster to Attacker and occasionally Healer if you need it and that pattern doesn't even change much later on in the game either. The only time you even need the other ability sets is for (some) bosses and maybe the mission based enemies.

All of this.

XIII's battle system was a major step back on XII, that's what cemented it's place as a poor game for me. There's no defending it in my opinion.

Sure i got the platinum in XIII, without just "mashing X" (you need strategy with the toises, that's for sure) but that's not to say most of the game can't be beat on auto-battle which is a let-down.

I'd just like to add to the list above the party leader death = game over.....big mistake there. That's one of the things that annoyed me the most with XIII, especially after how easy that was handled in XII.
#103RomangeloPosted 1/26/2013 6:58:30 AM
king_madden posted...
ShadianVise posted...
Mashing X also won't even get you past Chapter 4.

just pressing x got me through the whole game really

cool story bro
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > X-2 > XIII > TLR > VIII > VII > IV > IX > III > I > II
#104DavCubePosted 1/26/2013 8:00:24 AM
DefYouth posted...
I find that, in most games, I press "X" a lot.

---
http://backloggery.com/davcube
#105true_gamer80Posted 1/26/2013 8:18:20 AM(edited)
DavCube posted...
DefYouth posted...
I find that, in most games, I press "X" a lot.

shhh, we are epretending thats not the case so we can hate on FFXIII. we can also pretend a game that was just released and praised to no end(Ni no Kuni) your not able to simply mash X eitheer lol....cause its completely possible to get veery very far in game simply by sitting back and mashing X to win battles, do you have to do this, of course not, just like FFXIII you dont have to mash X.

Again all this topic does is prove ppl complain just to hear themselves complain. You get what you put into a game, its your choice if you want to mash X to get through the game, you dont have to, you can play how oyu want to. Complete control or autobattle, its up to you. Now whats amazing is ppl choosing to play one way then complainig about it....welcome to the world of new age gamers-they live to complain , they game to whine
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#106RPG maniac87Posted 1/26/2013 8:15:12 AM
tiornys posted...
StickyJumper posted...
to be honest i didn't mind it, i felt the battles went way too fast for manual input to be effective (unless i put it on Slow, which i didn't want to)

I found that with a little practice, it became easy to input manual commands fast enough to enter a command string while my ATB bar was filling. This meant I only used Auto-battle on preemptive strikes and some ATB refreshes (when I couldn't repeat a previous command string).

With a lot of practice, I'm now fast enough that it's usually worth it for me to use manual input over Auto-battle even when my ATB bar is already full.

Seifer_us posted...
Here are my problems with the battle system:

- It's oriented towards being fast-paced, so the option to put in actions one at a time quickly becomes extraneous. My memory of the game is a bit fuzzy since it's literally been since the end of 2009 that I played it, but I don't recall needing to put in actions manually for the majority of the latter half of the game.

Thanks for the straightforward reply. I'm going to address your points where I think you've drawn conclusions based on incomplete or incorrect information. This point I've partially addressed, in my comments about the feasibility of manual entry. As far as the advantages, I'd have to write multiple posts to cover everything. In short, I can list AI deficiencies for every role, meaning that I can almost always gain in efficiency through manual entry. I can also list numerous effective strategies that are impractical or impossible with Auto-battle.

As far as ranking, scoring 5-stars does quintuple your chance at a rare drop, but I agree that's not a huge reward. That part of FFXIII is better suited to players like me who want to excel for the sake of excellence.

- The need to "break" enemies before being able to deal large amounts of damage makes minor battles take longer than they need to.
Early in the game, it's pretty much Blaster to Attacker and occasionally Healer if you need it and that pattern doesn't even change much later on in the game either. The only time you even need the other ability sets is for (some) bosses and maybe the mission based enemies.

Here's where I think the biggest disconnect is, and these two issues are related. The perceived need to stagger all enemies stems from three factors: underestimating the power of buffs and debuffs, underestimating the Commando role, and failing to realize that building chain multiplies damage even if you don't build up all the way to stagger.

In essence, you're correct that killing enemies in any reasonable time frame requires you to boost your damage output. But you're wrong that the chain gauge is the only means to provide that boost. Buffs and debuffs can combine to multiply your damage by as much as 520% against most enemies. That's about twice as much damage boosting as you get from staggering an enemy with a lowish stagger point, and over half the full potential of the chain gauge. Most wandering encounters can be rapidly defeated by employing specific buffs and/or debuffs alongside heavy COM presence--no staggering required.

For a more explicit breakdown, see post 56 in this thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/681990-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/65038417

Well said.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#107SightoPosted 1/26/2013 8:16:42 AM
true_gamer80 posted...
we can also pretend a game that was just released and praised to no end(Ni no Kuni) your not able to simply mash X eitheer lol....cause its completely possible to get veery very far in game simply by sitting back and mashing X to win battles, do you have to do this, of course not, just like FFXIII you dont have to mash X.

NNK actually reminds me a lot of a watered down FFXIII.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#108chaosflame108Posted 1/26/2013 12:36:13 PM
Here's the thing about autobattle.

It takes away the tedious, boring command selection.

Halfway through the game, deciding whether 4 fire commands, or 2 Fira commands is more efficient; really becomes a pain in the ass. Auto battle does the "math" for you.
---
I AM SATANAIL. HE WHO SHALL SET RIGHT THIS DISTORTED UNIVERSE!!!
#109true_gamer80Posted 1/26/2013 12:51:19 PM
chaosflame108 posted...
Here's the thing about autobattle.

It takes away the tedious, boring command selection.

Halfway through the game, deciding whether 4 fire commands, or 2 Fira commands is more efficient; really becomes a pain in the ass. Auto battle does the "math" for you.

which brings up a point...all the haters agree with you apparenly lol. They say thy hate autobattle yet thy are the ones choosing to use it lol...It like a huge contradiction with their hate lol...ppl are just complaining to hate...it an option there choosing to use.

Yet again for the haters...its really really funny seeing ppl say you can hit X through the game, bash it 4 tht, thn go on n praise a diff gm where you could mash X through most of the game aswell if you wanted....

there is absolutely so much hate n whining here, its come to the point you cant make a complaint about one game without completely contradicting some other game thts praised yet the same nonsense can apply to it. GF lol
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#110Jason_HudsonPosted 1/26/2013 12:52:49 PM
lol I remember farming on there whilst raiding in WoW. Had the controller perched on the keyboard.
---
"My name is Spartan Jay, the greatest MW3 player of all time. Because I am on your team, this team will win" ~ Spartan Jay