This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say FFXIII is just "mash x" ?

#121RPG maniac87Posted 1/26/2013 6:24:03 PM(edited)
tiornys posted...
Auto-battle may do the thinking for you

I disagree. Auto-battle is there to handle the portion that requires little-to-no thinking. Things like exploiting elemental weaknesses. Leaving time for the player to concentrate on what's really important - timing/cancels/formations/enemy condition.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#122IChangedMyNamePosted 1/26/2013 6:28:29 PM
Mashing X is doable, as long as your not one of those people who like to be anal about it.

For example: Yes, I need to use the stick to move my character and yes pressing start to mess with items is there.

But mashing X can get you through most battles especially auto-battle pretty much takes care of everything for you.

Unless your like me, and you paradigm shift and continue to use auto battle but even then, X does it all for you in the end.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#123SightoPosted 1/26/2013 6:38:46 PM
There's way more to the battle system than selecting the attacks. That's one of the least important parts, hence auto-battle.
How this continues to allude some people is embarrassing.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#124kupo1705Posted 1/26/2013 6:39:38 PM
Sighto posted...
There's way more to the battle system than selecting the attacks. That's one of the least important parts, hence auto-battle.

Changing paradigms, so deep.
#125tiornysPosted 1/26/2013 6:43:16 PM
RPG maniac87 posted...
I disagree. Auto-battle is there to handle the portion that requires little-to-no thinking. Things like exploiting elemental weaknesses. Leaving time for the player to concentrate on what's really important - timing/cancels/formations/enemy condition.

Good points, although once you become adept at handling those, manual entry adds a whole new layer of available tactics and strategies.

kupo1705 posted...
Sighto posted...

Changing paradigms, so deep.

It's certainly capable of more depth than most RPGs.

t~
#126SightoPosted 1/26/2013 7:01:03 PM
True, but there's a whole lot to keep track of. Few people even explore the battle system enough to take advantage of cancels, or timing an attack so your character runs back to their spot just as the enemy tries to hit them, avoiding the attack.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#127king_maddenPosted 1/26/2013 7:08:08 PM
i think some of you are really making the the shifting or switching much bigger than it actually was, it was what like 3 or 4 of them, and for the most part certain members can stay in the same one for the majority of the game. it just felt like i pick the plays before hand then just simply watch them do it. but in most cases i didnt have to pay it too much attention.

sure you can say that i didnt have to take the easy route and do auto battle, but if i wouldve put too much thought into it the game wouldve been a breeze. i may have died twice the whole game, both towards the end.
#128RPG maniac87Posted 1/26/2013 7:14:22 PM
king_madden posted...
sure you can say that i didnt have to take the easy route and do auto battle

I wouldn't call it the easy route. More like the slow, boring route.
FFXIII can be made boring if you choose to play it that way just like any other game.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#129tiornysPosted 1/26/2013 7:16:50 PM
king_madden posted...
sure you can say that i didnt have to take the easy route and do auto battle, but if i wouldve put too much thought into it the game wouldve been a breeze. i may have died twice the whole game, both towards the end.

Sure, the main storyline would have been easier, but you could have easily challenged yourself through optional content. Like killing Juggernaut on your first trip through Mah'habara, or taking out the Adamanchelids for their Gold Nuggets soon after reaching the Steppe for the first time. Or completing the Faultwarrens before leaving chapter 11. Etc.

t~
#130digidevilwilPosted 1/26/2013 8:33:08 PM
tiornys posted...
digidevilwil posted...
We are just trying to establish that FF has been crap all along, no reason in pointing out this game specifically.

I'm well aware that there are gamers who idolize reflexes and hand-eye coordination and have no respect for games that emphasize brainpower in isolation. I just don't see any reason why I should respect those gamers or their opinions.

I'm sorry you have difficulty comprehending those with different tastes than you.

t~

It requires brainpower to apply reflexes and hand eye coordination. This is why the JRPG fanbase is so looked down on. They think everything real time and genres like FPS are mindless flail fests, when in reality applying top level skill in those games/genres requires far more brainpower than any turn based rpg ever will. Competitive pokemon is about as deep as turn based gets, which is actually a very deep scene, but FF being a mainstream everyday RPG has never required any level of brainpower in comparison to other options. XIII has been the most unconventional entry in the series, and high level XIIi is definitely far beyond high level of any other FF, granted that's not much, but the NCU game, particularly in XIII-2 is a pretty fun application of reflexes and brainpower.

XIII being an FF game still had to be playable for your everyday person. This formula would have been better suited for a game that could have emphasised the strengths of it without being held back by the mainstream image of FF.

I'm not sure where taste and comprehension came into play. Everyone here is establishing that FF has always been a rather easy romp where you can rely on mashing attack and barebones strategies to complete. People are making it sound like XIII is the only game to ever emphasis this. Seeing the game over screen is more practical in XIII than in any FF from VII on. Not to mention many of us were playing older FF's when we were kids in elementary school, and yet the games were still very completable! We are all significantly more intelligent now, and it's only becoming more and more apparent how much of a mindless mashfest older FF are as well.

You may like those style of games more, sure, but they are just as mindless. Just because everything is slowed down to a point that your mind can comprehend each action doesn't make it any more strategic, as it's very possible to manage the importance of each little attack that goes off in XIII as well.
---
PSN: PandaKingEX