This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say FFXIII is just "mash x" ?

#21tiornysPosted 1/24/2013 7:38:52 PM
matty549 posted...
Yes, you do have to switch paradigms often.... in boss fights. Normal encounters were fine with my generic attack paradigm. Switching paradigms didn't really keep my brain active. I found it to be really easy to switch to my predefined healing paradigm when I saw "yellow" hp in the corner of my eye.

Engaging your brain is necessary for efficient victories, but you're right that you can use a fairly basic strategy and make it through most of the game. I have just one problem with those who use this fact as a criticism of FFXIII relative to the rest of the series, and that's the fact that every modern FF game can be mostly beaten with a fairly basic strategy.

Even if you do get obliterated, big deal. You start over at the exact enemy you died at.

This is a criticism of how punishing the game is, not how difficult the game is. A game can be difficult without being punishing, punishing without being difficult, both, or neither. FFXIII is fairly difficult, especially in optional content, but it is not punishing at all.

t~
#22SightoPosted 1/24/2013 7:50:35 PM
Fungum posted...
Because you mostly just mash X. Sure, you have to use L1 to paradigm shift sometimes, but most random (lolnotrandom) battles you really can just hit X to win.

blahblahudidntplay

I platinumed and 1000/1000'd the game and have over 300 hours on it. Yeah, I know how to play it.

Pulling on a push door until you eventually get it open doesn't mean you know how to use it.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#23ScreamingMidgetPosted 1/24/2013 7:51:58 PM
Still__Rippin posted...
ScreamingMidget posted...
Because they haven't played any other FF.

Wow. Fanboy much?

XIII is completely beatable by holding forward and hitting X a few thousand times. Sure, you don't have to use autobattle but it makes no sense not to 90% of the time.

Just like every FF then.
#24cell2355Posted 1/24/2013 7:54:38 PM
majin nemesis posted...
because they didn't play the game

---
http://www.backloggery.com/Kysuke
Not changing sig until Drew McIntyre wins a Title. (07/12/12)
#25Still__RippinPosted 1/24/2013 7:55:54 PM
Still__Rippin posted...

Wow. Fanboy much?

XIII is completely beatable by holding forward and hitting X a few thousand times. Sure, you don't have to use autobattle but it makes no sense not to 90% of the time.

Just like every FF then.

Clearly you never played the other FF games. Sorry you have so little going on you have to be such a diehard fanboy of a videogame.
---
Lupe Fiasco is the best rapper alive.
Currently Playing~ XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Demons Souls, Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, Magic 2013, Skate 2
#26king_maddenPosted 1/24/2013 7:57:39 PM
Still__Rippin posted...

Wow. Fanboy much?

Just like every FF then.

i dont know, most FF I just press X in will just do a basic attack, and i will get killed majority of the time. At least in those games I HAVE to find a weakness or something to exploit an enemy, in 13 the game does all of that for you.

I think they wanted to make it easier though, to attract more people. easy, flashy, pretty games usually get a lot of attention.
#27matty549Posted 1/24/2013 8:02:33 PM
For me, the difference (relative to other FFs) is what happens outside of battle.
Totally agreed that the actual battle mechanics are simple in almost the entire series.

I'll use some examples from FF5 and FF6 to demonstrate what I liked:
1. Letting enemies hit me to learn skills (enemy skills)

2. Seeking out rare weapons, and enjoying the results. That never happened for me in FFXIII.
Actually, I don't think I ever changed out of my initial equipment... because there was no incentive to.

3. MOST IMPORTANT: Feeling like I developed my party. In FF5, my party is very likely to be
different than yours. I plan out which characters are going to get exposed to which weapons / classes
throughout the game. The Crystallarium is not free enough, and I feel like my Lightning is exactly
like yours.
#28RPG maniac87Posted 1/24/2013 8:03:02 PM
king_madden posted...
i dont know, most FF I just press X in will just do a basic attack, and i will get killed majority of the time. At least in those games I HAVE to find a weakness or something to exploit an enemy, in 13 the game does all of that for you.

That's why I loved FF13. It doesn't treat you like an idiot. It knows you're smart enough to exploit a weakness once you've discovered it, and doesn't roll out the red carpet for doing the obvious. It even offers to automate it. The bulk of the battle system is in the timing/cancels/gauges/spacing.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#29Lunitik MuzikPosted 1/24/2013 9:05:54 PM
It's just a way for criticizing the game for how frustratingly easy it is; though it's not far off. Honestly, the only time I ran into a difficult spot where the basic "press x" strategy didn't work was when I fought Barthandelus & Hecatoncheir. I remember being stunned at how much of a push over the final boss was. I wish I still had the game so I can look at my save to see exactly what I did, but I remember finishing all those fights off in around 5 or so minutes and not even giving two ****s about a strategy.
#30ScreamingMidgetPosted 1/24/2013 9:07:36 PM
Still__Rippin posted...
Still__Rippin posted...

Wow. Fanboy much?

Just like every FF then.

Clearly you never played the other FF games. Sorry you have so little going on you have to be such a diehard fanboy of a videogame.

ITT: Not hating a game to the death makes you a fanboy.

Still__Trolling is on a roll today!