This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say FFXIII is just "mash x" ?

#41RyuuHou25Posted 1/24/2013 10:37:21 PM
RPG maniac87 posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
There's no need for strategy until very late in the game, and even then, it's extremely minimal save for a few optional bosses.

There's that winning spirit of mediocrity. Doing the minimum necessary to get by.

Why would you drag out the fights longer than they have to be, simply for the illusion of depth in the game? "Oh, hmmmm, this time, I think I'll do fire, attack, fire, and then this time....switch it up a bit, attack twice, then firaga!"

And what happens differently? A slightly better 1 second long fire spell that does moderately more damage, and you spending more time than need be for it.

A game with good combat will actually require you to use differing tactics on a fairly consistent basis and will punish you for mashing, especially in RPGs and what not. Hence why people liked turn based a lot more.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#42TheBonfiniPosted 1/24/2013 10:42:44 PM
Who cares what buttons you press to exert your might in the battles.

The game is still a big, boring tunnel with hardly anything to explore.

I played for 15 hours and was still in what seemed to be a tutorial. I had all these boring text things to read that seemed like it was trying to teach me a new language. I know it was to build the games lore, but it just didn't grip me I guess.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#43RoxasANobodyPosted 1/24/2013 10:50:18 PM
Fungum posted...
Because you mostly just mash X. Sure, you have to use L1 to paradigm shift sometimes, but most random (lolnotrandom) battles you really can just hit X to win.

How is that any different from the past Final Fantasy games?
---
"Fantastic baby."
Currently playing: R&C HD Collection, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, and Assassin's Creed III
#44XMonkeySniperXPosted 1/24/2013 10:57:21 PM
Out of curiosity, what Final Fantasy game DOES have difficult random battles? I can't think of any in particular, though I haven't played 5 or 11.
---
PSN: MasamuneMonkey
"I'm the warrior of love and rage, Black Frost!"
#45agrissaPosted 1/24/2013 10:59:17 PM
RoxasANobody posted...
Fungum posted...
Because you mostly just mash X. Sure, you have to use L1 to paradigm shift sometimes, but most random (lolnotrandom) battles you really can just hit X to win.

How is that any different from the past Final Fantasy games?

The past FF games were fun.
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:2~ ~ Number of fans:7~
#4610000_needlesPosted 1/24/2013 11:00:18 PM
If you post a Tales of Graces F Evil difficulty beating the game using only the X (I'll allow the left analog stick and start button) button in combat, I'll give you a medal.
---
You dont know it yet, but you're already dead. "Hokuto no Ken"
#47Seifer_usPosted 1/24/2013 11:03:31 PM
It's an exaggeration. I don't like the game that much, despite getting the Platinum trophy, but even I can tell you that the combat takes a bit more preparation than that. I may not like the combat, but it's not just "mash x to win" either. You can complain about the game without oversimplifying the issue guys.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#48izza20Posted 1/24/2013 11:04:49 PM
Because when it comes to FFXIII, people tend to forget how every battle system in every turn based RPG ever made works. Haters gonna hate.
#49king_maddenPosted 1/25/2013 1:31:54 AM
izza20 posted...
Because when it comes to FFXIII, people tend to forget how every battle system in every turn based RPG ever made works. Haters gonna hate.

not too many of them were anything like 13, so whats the point here?
#50kupo1705Posted 1/25/2013 1:34:15 AM
izza20 posted...

Then you clearly haven't played many turn based RPGs.