This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say FFXIII is just "mash x" ?

#51kingrat2314Posted 1/25/2013 2:37:04 AM
Putting auto-battle in the game was one of the dumbest mistakes Square Enix has ever made. I only play FFXIII with the default set to abilities.
---
I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of ass. I'm out of gum too. I guess I'll just sit here.
#52PoorCountryPosted 1/25/2013 2:37:52 AM
Every Final Fantasy has you doing the same moves every turn. They might as well have had autobattle.
#53kingrat2314Posted 1/25/2013 2:43:07 AM
PoorCountry posted...
Every Final Fantasy has you doing the same moves every turn. They might as well have had autobattle.

What I mean is putting in auto battle completely took away the illusion of control. That's a big reason why even fans of the earlier Final Fantasys didn't like XIII. It broke the spell, so to speak.
---
I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of ass. I'm out of gum too. I guess I'll just sit here.
#54RPG maniac87Posted 1/25/2013 2:43:50 AM
How so kingrat? Selecting abilities is one of the least important parts of FFXIII.
People just fall into that rut of trying to play it like every other game, which it isn't.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#55izza20Posted 1/25/2013 3:08:46 AM
kupo1705 posted...
izza20 posted...
Because when it comes to FFXIII, people tend to forget how every battle system in every turn based RPG ever made works. Haters gonna hate.

Then you clearly haven't played many turn based RPGs.

I've played plenty. FFXIII is so far from the most basic ones. Honestly, in terms of simplicity it is surpassed by multiple entries in its own series.
#56Still__RippinPosted 1/25/2013 3:16:30 AM
ScreamingMidget posted...
Still__Rippin posted...
Still__Rippin posted...
Because they haven't played any other FF.

Wow. Fanboy much?

XIII is completely beatable by holding forward and hitting X a few thousand times. Sure, you don't have to use autobattle but it makes no sense not to 90% of the time.

Just like every FF then.

Clearly you never played the other FF games. Sorry you have so little going on you have to be such a diehard fanboy of a videogame.

ITT: Not hating a game to the death makes you a fanboy.

Still__Trolling is on a roll today!

Trolling? l bought XII day 1. Final Fantasy has been one of my most treasured series' since l played Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on Super Nintendo when l was young. l beat XII (mainly by mashing X) and was extremely let down by it. But, being a fan of the series l Preordered the Collectors Edition of XII-2 and hoped they'd fix their mistakes. They didn't. l didn't even bother to finish XII-2. So, if anyone is in a position to criticize, it's someone like me. It is a fact that the bulk of the game can be beaten bt doing nothing but mashing X during battle. You rarely ever need to shift. Just face it.
---
Lupe Fiasco is the best rapper alive.
Currently Playing~ XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Demons Souls, Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, Magic 2013, Skate 2
#57true_gamer80Posted 1/25/2013 3:26:54 AM
is this a topic that further proves new age gamers just want to complain....how ridiculous is it to hear ppl complain about using autobattle....when they dont have to.....you chose to play it that way.....geez ppl
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#58RyuuHou25Posted 1/25/2013 3:27:15 AM
Seifer_us posted...
It's an exaggeration. I don't like the game that much, despite getting the Platinum trophy, but even I can tell you that the combat takes a bit more preparation than that. I may not like the combat, but it's not just "mash x to win" either. You can complain about the game without oversimplifying the issue guys.

Nobody is oversimplifying anything - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZX508264U

It's not even a glitch, it's actually intended to be played that way >.<
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#59Aimes87Posted 1/25/2013 3:43:17 AM
It is possible to go through the game almost entirely on auto battle, thus the "mashing x". Yes, it means you can have some pretty dumbed down combat. However, if you don't like that then don't use the auto battle option and play it creatively!
#60Devil_wings00Posted 1/25/2013 3:49:34 AM
The game can be nearly won by nothing but mashing 1 button...just go look up the one of hundreds if not 1000's of youtube videos proving it. Sure you can put a ton of strategy and plan everything out but the game rarely ever requires you to make that effort.

I'd also like to note that you could beat the majority of FF7's random battles my holding down x (or circle can't remember which). If i remember the game auto selected attack if you just held down x. This was all that was really ever needed for the randoms.

My problem with 13 wasn't so much the battles as the overly linear nature of it that amounted to a single 20-30 hour corridor sequence. The game is just so tightly controlled and scripted it's barely a game and the auto battle just exacerbated the problem. If you are going to make your game so painfully linear at least make the combat interesting and don't make the most efficient way to beat nearly every battle outside of bosses an automated system.
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).