This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say FFXIII is just "mash x" ?

#61Seifer_usPosted 1/25/2013 3:53:57 AM(edited)
RyuuHou25 posted...
Seifer_us posted...
It's an exaggeration. I don't like the game that much, despite getting the Platinum trophy, but even I can tell you that the combat takes a bit more preparation than that. I may not like the combat, but it's not just "mash x to win" either. You can complain about the game without oversimplifying the issue guys.

Nobody is oversimplifying anything - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZX508264U

It's not even a glitch, it's actually intended to be played that way >.<

It's still not just pressing "X". I distinctly saw the directional keys pressed, along with the L1 button and occasionally the O button to back out if needed.

Now let me remind you what buttons I most commonly used to win battles in Final Fantasy I-VI:

"A"
"Up"
"Down"
"Left"
"Right"

Don't oversimplify the issue. There are legitimate complaints about the battle system to be made, but you sound incredibly foolish trying to pigeonhole your argument on complexity into, "mash X to win". You have a point to make? Then make it eloquently and with a detailed explanation!
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#62RyuuHou25Posted 1/25/2013 4:00:42 AM
And your argument is a thin technicality.

If you can get by pressing a single button 80% more than directionals or any of the other face buttons, that's considered a game where you simply mash that button, in order to win.

We're not literally saying "DUDE, YOU JUST PRESS X CONSTANTLY AND THAT'S IT! NOTHING ELSE!"

The fact you're taking it that literally and then creating a technicality out of that assumption in order to provide an argument should show you have no leg to stand on here. You're creating things out of nothingness.

People are well aware you have to use the other buttons as well, but the main one you press, and you can press it a lot to slot in all the attacks/spells in the blink of an eye, again and again and again and again until you win and use no thought besides "Yeah yeah, just press x on attack over and over, shift your paradigm once in awhile, win....can we move on please game"

In older games, you used the directionals just as much as the button(s) designated for confirming attacks. Not so in this one, it's not required, it's optional.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#63Seifer_usPosted 1/25/2013 4:18:04 AM
RyuuHou25 posted...
And your argument is a thin technicality.

If you can get by pressing a single button 80% more than directionals or any of the other face buttons, that's considered a game where you simply mash that button, in order to win.

We're not literally saying "DUDE, YOU JUST PRESS X CONSTANTLY AND THAT'S IT! NOTHING ELSE!"

The fact you're taking it that literally and then creating a technicality out of that assumption in order to provide an argument should show you have no leg to stand on here. You're creating things out of nothingness.

People are well aware you have to use the other buttons as well, but the main one you press, and you can press it a lot to slot in all the attacks/spells in the blink of an eye, again and again and again and again until you win and use no thought besides "Yeah yeah, just press x on attack over and over, shift your paradigm once in awhile, win....can we move on please game"

In older games, you used the directionals just as much as the button(s) designated for confirming attacks. Not so in this one, it's not required, it's optional.

I still think you're overstating the amount of time spent pressing a single button. Maybe that's because I played through the game before the US launch, so I didn't have the benefit of any particularly "mashy" strategy being out there all over the internet.

Anyway, i agree that the battle system is weak, but I just get tired of people spouting the same tired line without really explaining their reasoning fully and then they wonder why people disagree. That's the point I'm trying to get across here.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#64Retroxgamer0Posted 1/25/2013 4:19:36 AM
majin nemesis posted...
because they didn't play the game
#65tiornysPosted 1/25/2013 6:57:31 AM(edited)
RyuuHou25 posted...
Why would you drag out the fights longer than they have to be, simply for the illusion of depth in the game?

Interesting. You use this argument to attack the battle system. I use a very similar argument to attack claims that there's no strategy in the battle system. Why would you drag out the fights longer than they have to be, simply for the illusion that there's no depth in the battle system? Because I guarantee that if you aren't putting thought into the game that I can win the battles faster. And even if you are thinking about your paradigms, your setups, and your timing, if you primarily use Auto-battle, I can still win the battles faster.

A game with good combat will actually require you to use differing tactics on a fairly consistent basis and will punish you for mashing, especially in RPGs and what not. Hence why people liked turn based a lot more.

I don't agree. A game with good combat will reward you for using differing tactics on a fairly consistent basis. FFXIII certainly does this. Whether or not a game can also be won by mashing is determined by how accessible it's meant to be. Modern Final Fantasy games have all been designed to be relatively accessible.

Devil_wings00 posted...
If you are going to make your game so painfully linear at least make the combat interesting and don't make the most efficient way to beat nearly every battle outside of bosses an automated system.

They did, and it's not. Auto-battle is almost never the most efficient way to beat a given battle. Basic stagger and attack tactics are also almost never the most efficient way to beat a given battle. Trying to figure out the best strategies is a very interesting and difficult problem, and executing many strategies well requires a great deal of technical skill.

Seifer_us posted...
Anyway, i agree that the battle system is weak, but I just get tired of people spouting the same tired line without really explaining their reasoning fully and then they wonder why people disagree. That's the point I'm trying to get across here.

Out of curiosity, what's your argument against the battle system? Because I don't at all agree that it's weak, as noted above.

t~
#66MyPhantomilePosted 1/25/2013 8:29:02 AM
Bunch of whining nerds complaining about the command that you don't even have to use. You can have the cursor hover over 'Abilities' instead.

Any reason to complain, that's why I detest GFaqs so much.
#67superbowl54Posted 1/25/2013 8:32:34 AM
because it's like it's #1 fan on this board, a small person who shouts... it plays with itself all the time.

Seriously though, auto-battle FTL
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Persona 4 Arena, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, ZOE HD, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC
#68creamncookiePosted 1/25/2013 8:34:33 AM
In FFIV-FFVI, you only had to hold down the button to win.
#69StickyJumperPosted 1/25/2013 8:34:58 AM
I mashed X/auto-battle up until the end boss of Ch11, that was the first real roadblock where i had to play manually
#70Lazy JonesPosted 1/25/2013 8:44:07 AM
I have finished the game, and I liked it fine, but I would have to admit, I did mash that x a lot.
---
This is gonna sound weird, but for a second, I think you took on the shape of a unicorn
PSN:drpokerface