This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say FFXIII is just "mash x" ?

#81Dark_EpathyPosted 1/25/2013 10:34:50 AM
The way I saw it, FFXIII was more about efficiency than anything else. You were graded on how quickly you dispatched enemies. Boss battles would put you on a timer if you took too long.

The design of the game wasn't meant for you to think about strategy during battles. You were supposed to sample battles, probably lose or not doing all that well in terms of time, and then rethink your equipment and paradigms. Once you did that, obviously the combat would come down to "mashing X" because most of the strategic legwork's already been taken care of.

It's true that you don't need a whole lot of preparation to get by, but it seemed like the game was challenging you more to do your best (via battle rankings) than to just get by. Whether or not you heeded that call, particularly with regards to boss battles, is another story.

Though, obviously it's not really that great of a system since very few people are going to go out of their way to make the game more interesting when an easier strategy will get them by on a consistent basis.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#82king_maddenPosted 1/25/2013 11:36:31 AM
true_gamer80 posted...
MyPhantomile posted...
Bunch of whining nerds complaining about the command that you don't even have to use. You can have the cursor hover over 'Abilities' instead.

Any reason to complain, that's why I detest GFaqs so much.

yup, so much fighting over complete nonsense...it really is ridiculous, even after a few ppl pointed out this, the fighting goes on....pure nonsense, typical gf topic

its the whole fact of how simple they tried to make it, in past games you at least had to find the weakness and find the best attack, or acquire the best weapon/attack/strategy to win. this game made it overly easy for you. it would be like COD adding an auto shoot button, all you have to do is look and the game shoots by itself. or in street fighter you can set it to where just pressing square and 1 direction you can perform any special attack.
even though it would all be optional its the fact that they are dumbing down these games. i know it only works when its a game you dont like, then every little detail you hate, but if you love the game you dont view any issue as that bad. the game is overly easy as it is, that just made it casually easily.
#83NettoSaitoPosted 1/25/2013 11:40:45 AM
Actually I've played through the older FF games (1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7) just by mashing X and it worked just fine. Didn't even heal in battle. Doesn't quite work the same in 13 lol
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | Nintendo Network - [NettoSaito]
My Backloggery - http://www.backloggery.com/NettoSaito
#84Impaired MedicPosted 1/25/2013 11:46:11 AM
If you were trying to be sarcastic, then I'd have to ask, if you were getting bored, why didn't you start using better strategies as they became available?

Because 90% of the game doesn't require any strategy. It's mostly "flip this thing into the air with Commando then let your Ravagers kill it".
---
PSN: Impaired_Medic
#85tiornysPosted 1/25/2013 12:39:58 PM
kupo1705 posted...
Mashing X is the best strategy.

Lol no. Easiest =/= Best.

Impaired Medic posted...
If you were trying to be sarcastic, then I'd have to ask, if you were getting bored, why didn't you start using better strategies as they became available?

Because 90% of the game doesn't require any strategy. It's mostly "flip this thing into the air with Commando then let your Ravagers kill it".

Ah. So we're back to this:

RPG maniac87 posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
There's no need for strategy until very late in the game, and even then, it's extremely minimal save for a few optional bosses.

There's that winning spirit of mediocrity. Doing the minimum necessary to get by.
#86drclaeysPosted 1/25/2013 12:43:03 PM
Friends,

I think they played 1 hour of it, and quit. I only got 2 hours in, and I quit. The first hour was alot of X, but the next hour was thinking and start to be some strategy. Well just a heal potion now and then. If thats strategy.

There is a rumor that if you finish the game, you like it, if you only play the first hour, you hate it. it comes from those one hour people.

BUT I could not play it. Not sure why, I love X and X-2 and XII but 13 I dont like.

Thank you for sharing.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#87docholliday504Posted 1/25/2013 12:43:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, I still think FFXIII had its share of problems, but anyone who says that didn't play the game.

I'd like to see someone "Mash X" through a Long Gui or the Super Boss Battle (Can't remember what its name was...started with a "V")
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Dark Souls, Halo 4
#88tiornysPosted 1/25/2013 12:59:09 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
Though, obviously it's not really that great of a system since very few people are going to go out of their way to make the game more interesting when an easier strategy will get them by on a consistent basis.

I think this comes down to what kinds of motivations you have for playing games. For those who play games primarily to beat them, then you're right. FFXIII does not do much to motivate those people to investigate the battle system's depth. This type of gamer needs a game to be more punishing, thus forcing them to improve in order to advance.

On the other hand, those who play games primarily to excel at them have a different need. They need the game to reward them for increasing their skill at the game. For this type of gamer, punishment isn't necessary. FFXIII delivers in spades for this motivation. Incremental improvements in strategy are rewarded with incrementally improved battle results. Conceptual leaps in strategy see massive gains in battle.

Obviously, I consider myself to belong in the second camp. And I'm willing to bet that many of FFXIII's detractors belong in the first.

In light of this, I'd like to apologize to Impaired Medic for my rather snarky reply. On a more serious note, yes, stagger--launch--kill functions against almost every enemy. It's also inefficient and unnecessary against most wandering encounters. As for bosses, it's true that you'll want to stagger most of them, but you'll also want to employ other forms of damage multiplication if you want an efficient victory.

t~
#89darkshadowmasterPosted 1/25/2013 1:02:37 PM
ShadianVise posted...
Mashing X also won't even get you past Chapter 4.

I made it to chapter 12 mashing X outside of bosses
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#90Impaired MedicPosted 1/25/2013 1:11:03 PM
I think they played 1 hour of it, and quit. I only got 2 hours in, and I quit.

http://i.imgur.com/NoKZd8L.jpg
---
PSN: Impaired_Medic