This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D Dark Souls has the best story this generation.

#41DaLaggaPosted 1/25/2013 10:34:13 AM
GwynsSonSolaire posted...
No.

Dark Souls is the best game of all time though.

For that to be the case, there would need to be some element to it that is truly exceptional, but there isn't. The main thing people praise is the combat, but most of the combat systems like magic and ranged are horrible and stealth doesn't even exist. The only thing left is the melee combat which has been much better done in games like Mount and Blade, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, or Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

If lore =/= story why is skyrim praised for its story?

Because it's not just about the main story. Skyrim has a tremendous amount of minor stories and sub-plots all throughout the game in addition to massive amounts of lore. Dark Souls only really has a main story that's so shallow and brief that the short opening cinematic literally covers more than half of it.

So aside for an incredibly shallow and brief main plot, all you've really got in Dark Souls is a small amount of lore - most of which is buried in item descriptions and doesn't tell you much about the game world even if you take time to analyze it. Mass Effect easily wins this generation for best story. Hell, there's more story and lore before you leave the Citadel in Mass Effect 1 than Dark Souls has in the entire game.
#42Rennik RepotsirPosted 1/25/2013 11:00:47 AM
Yeah, it ranks up there with Super Metroid's story...

*runs away*
---
FREE BUMP!!!
The person above suffers from IAD.</post>
#43antoinejonesPosted 1/25/2013 11:06:48 AM
in order to have the best story you have to first HAVE a story
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#44Mystickay86Posted 1/25/2013 11:10:25 AM
Dorfmann_ posted...
There's no way this a real topic.

Only Damien believed it.
---
Official Gai of the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations board
#45zyrax2301Posted 1/25/2013 3:34:47 PM
GwynsSonSolaire posted...
zyrax2301 posted...
Skyrim actually has a narrative. Dark Souls has an intro, and that's about it.

Bioshock has the best story I've had the pleasure of experiencing this gen, probably followed by Dead Space (1).

you OBVIOUSLY have not played the game

You're right, I have never played Dark Souls in my life. Not even once.

Latest troll ever >_>
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#46Chocobo115Posted 1/25/2013 3:45:06 PM
what story...?
#47DemonicDracoPosted 1/25/2013 3:50:30 PM
I haven't touched dark souls yet but considering demon souls doesn't really have a story i doubt dark souls has a decent one.
---
Beauty is the only truth in this world.