This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why Cant wrpgs and jrpgs live together in harmony?

#1GOZYTPosted 1/24/2013 11:51:20 PM
Is it not acceptable to like both?
---
PSN:GOZYT
#2xReflectingGodxPosted 1/24/2013 11:55:04 PM
Why can't these topics just stop being made? They're just troll bait or get taken over by trolls or idiots.
---
PSN: Spaghetti_Socks XBL: Scorpion1085
#3Golden MavenPosted 1/25/2013 12:00:25 AM
This topic is thought-provoking.
#4jammiesPosted 1/25/2013 12:05:17 AM
Pearl Harbor.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#5kobalobasileusPosted 1/25/2013 12:08:14 AM
They can and did co-exist for a long time. This is really the first generation where there has been a major divide. And the divide is caused by the fact that "W"RPGs aren't RPGs at all, but other Action-based genres with a few RPG accoutrements tacked-on, thus fooling the simple minded into thinking they are cool and cultured because they are playing and enjoying an RPG... which is a shooter.

Go back and look at some Western-developed RPGs from the past: Baldur's Gate, Torment, Fallout 1 & 2, Ultima, Wizardry.

Then look at some Japan-developed RPGs from the past: Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Suikoden, Breath of Fire.

There is little appreciable difference between these games. They are all RPGs.

Borderlands, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Oblivion & Skyrim... These are straight-up action games. Sure, some of them are in franchises that started as RPGs, but they aren't anymore! Some people don't seem to realize that it's possible for games in the same franchise to be different genres.
#6peter_888Posted 1/25/2013 12:08:54 AM
because of it's fans.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#7red eye dragoonPosted 1/25/2013 12:15:52 AM
Because action/adventure games are now classified as RPG's
---
"I am in the empire business!" -Walter White
Gamertag: Kenshin5435
#8BeknessPosted 1/25/2013 12:17:40 AM
Welcome to life
---
Lost in a dream, nothing is what it seems, searching my head for the words that you said. Tears filled my eyes as we said our last goodbyes
#9DefYouthPosted 1/25/2013 12:31:36 AM
I like both, for what it's worth...nothing, I guess.
---
Well, if I'm going to hell, I'm going there playing the piano. - Jerry Lee Lewis
#10methosagainPosted 1/25/2013 12:40:44 AM
kobalobasileus posted...
They can and did co-exist for a long time. This is really the first generation where there has been a major divide. And the divide is caused by the fact that "W"RPGs aren't RPGs at all, but other Action-based genres with a few RPG accoutrements tacked-on, thus fooling the simple minded into thinking they are cool and cultured because they are playing and enjoying an RPG... which is a shooter.

Go back and look at some Western-developed RPGs from the past: Baldur's Gate, Torment, Fallout 1 & 2, Ultima, Wizardry.

Then look at some Japan-developed RPGs from the past: Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Suikoden, Breath of Fire.

There is little appreciable difference between these games. They are all RPGs.

Borderlands, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Oblivion & Skyrim... These are straight-up action games. Sure, some of them are in franchises that started as RPGs, but they aren't anymore! Some people don't seem to realize that it's possible for games in the same franchise to be different genres.

LOL at calling FO and Skyrim straight up action games
---
Law of the universe states the strong shall survive and the weak fall by the way, I don't give a damn what idealistic plan is cooked up, nothing changes that