This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would a Steam Box "PC console" be more appealing to you than PS4/Xbox 3?

#31kobalobasileusPosted 1/25/2013 11:54:15 AM
Yes.

If you're going to be forced to deal with security breaches, patches, DLC, DRM, and multi-platform everything, it might as well be on PC.
#32theshovellerPosted 1/25/2013 12:00:04 PM
I said "not sure," for the following reasons:

-I think a "Steambox" would be good. At best, it's a new competitor and it helps spark a bit more originality between the current "big three" console makers. At worst, they impact their respective online stores and help drive prices there to be a bit more reasonable and have more sales.

-I wouldn't get a "Steambox" myself, however. I have a good computer, I'm knowledgeable enough to build and upgrade computers, I wouldn't really get any benefit out of said "Steambox." I have my PC set up with a cable so I can pump it over to my TV no problem. I have a 360 controller hooked up, and Steam has a "big screen mode" to make it easier, not to mention I can easily play non-Steam games on it, also. Additionally, I don't know if them making a "Steambox" would mean they would remove Microsoft controller functionality from many of their features and / or games because of it, or what, in favor of promoting their own hardware and peripherals.

So, there could be some real good benefits, but there could be some nasty downsides should overwhelming greed dominate their business plan.
#33RoachmeatPosted 1/25/2013 12:12:11 PM
"Not sure"

No mod support for Steambox, no buy.

I could easily play the censored versions of BETHESDA games on a regular console.

---
"Cyclops isn't the only Summers kid with power.."
--Havok, X-men: Next Dimension(Ps2)
#34theshovellerPosted 1/25/2013 12:16:19 PM
Roachmeat posted...
"Not sure"

No mod support for Steambox, no buy.

I could easily play the censored versions of BETHESDA games on a regular console.

Censored? They're not censored - they're simply not modded with custom textures to show the bits and bobbits on the men and women. Censored would mean that they actually removed, blocked, or otherwise denied access to something - like a black bar on a screen, or "bleeping" out a line of dialogue. The line is intact normally, but the noise is played overtop the audio track to deny "access" to that portion of audio.

That's how I see it, anyway. Agree to disagree?
#35Anodyne11Posted 1/25/2013 12:21:44 PM
este914 posted...
Capable PC, I already have.

This. I play my PC games on my PC.
---
Valkyria Chronicles is the best RPG this gen!
Official Ultimecia of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim boards
#36Ep1taph303Posted 1/25/2013 12:23:35 PM
Kaliesto posted...
though I like Steam's concept, they won't be around forever considering it's all digital.

You kidding? Digital is the future like it or not.
---
Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966683944/
#37glory of power metalPosted 1/25/2013 12:35:47 PM
What's the advantage of the Steam box over a PC? I've yet to see one.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#38RoachmeatPosted 1/25/2013 12:37:38 PM
theshoveller posted...
Censored? They're not censored - they're simply not modded with custom textures to show the bits and bobbits on the men and women. Censored would mean that they actually removed, blocked, or otherwise denied access to something - like a black bar on a screen, or "bleeping" out a line of dialogue. The line is intact normally, but the noise is played overtop the audio track to deny "access" to that portion of audio.

That's how I see it, anyway. Agree to disagree?

I once saw a Skyrim mod someone put together of a whole temple filled with chained up damsels and gladiator pits and stuff. The fact that it could be done in Skyrim, but the original devs were too scared to go over the "M" rating, shows me that the PC version might as well be the "uncensored" one in comparison.

That "pixelated ladies" guilt trip doesn't work on me. Doing "fatalities" in Mortal Kombat on fictional characters does nothing for me either, but it sure gets on the shelf without issues.
#39EspicaGFPosted 1/25/2013 12:42:29 PM
If they have a way to make games more stable, get rid of crashes.
#40este914Posted 1/25/2013 1:31:25 PM
glory of power metal posted...
What's the advantage of the Steam box over a PC? I've yet to see one.

---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !