This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would a Steam Box "PC console" be more appealing to you than PS4/Xbox 3?

#51glory of power metalPosted 1/25/2013 2:22:28 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
este914 posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...
glory of power metal posted...
What's the advantage of the Steam box over a PC? I've yet to see one.

have you seen the size of that thing?

Kind of irrelevant. You dont have any room next to your TV stand in your living room to put your PC?

not irrelevant at all.

he asked for advantages... the size alone is an advantage.

me(or anyone for that matter) not having room next to the TV or whatever, now that is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

You don't even need room in your living room, just run an hdmi cord through the wall with your ethernet. Getting your PC on a TV is getting increasingly easier unless you live in a truly giant house.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#52AsucaHayashiPosted 1/25/2013 2:32:40 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
este914 posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...
What's the advantage of the Steam box over a PC? I've yet to see one.

have you seen the size of that thing?

Kind of irrelevant. You dont have any room next to your TV stand in your living room to put your PC?

not irrelevant at all.

he asked for advantages... the size alone is an advantage.

me(or anyone for that matter) not having room next to the TV or whatever, now that is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

You don't even need room in your living room, just run an hdmi cord through the wall with your ethernet. Getting your PC on a TV is getting increasingly easier unless you live in a truly giant house.

yeah, any experienced PC gamer would already have found a solution to the age old debate but that isn't really the demographic valve was aiming for.

personally i would get one if it meant i could set up LAN at a buddy's house without having to either bring over a tower or an expensive laptop for above-medium gaming(of course that last one depends entirely on the price of the steambox).

what worries me though is how it'll affect non-steam games... stuff like guild wars 2 or D3 etc. are huge MP games but not available through steam so we'll just have to wait and see.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#53_DTM_Posted 1/25/2013 2:36:23 PM
If you want a PC then get a PC. A Steam Box will just be a PC that runs Linux.
---
This is here only so people know when my post ends.
#54KOTRwhoopsPosted 1/25/2013 2:37:57 PM
JohnHitman47 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
I have a capable PC, so no.

---
PLAYING - Torchlight II (PC), Walking Dead (360), Okami HD (PS3)
MOST WANTED - FFvsXIII, GTAV, Ni No Kuni, Tales Of Xillia, Lightning Returns
#55D E E G SPosted 1/25/2013 2:45:28 PM(edited)
Probably not. It is still going to have the same draw backs as a console (over time will become under powered). I'm not much for KB/M gaming from my couch so it would need to at least support the PC Xbox 360 controller. There will also be a dedicated lack of exclusive content for the system. Like it or not, exclusives and exclusive content drive the industry, unless Valve wants to commit to steambox by themselves and drastically expand their game development division they won't be able to compete with the likes of Nintendo and Sony. Microsoft on the other hand has gutted the bulk of their internal development wing but buys exclusive content from other companies every chance they can get. Personally, I'd only be interested in a Steambox if A) It was cheap and B) It was extremely small (Piston Sized). Anything more than $500 and I might might as well stick with my desktop PC because it is pointless.
---
Clearly, sir, you have gone mad with reason.
#56regsantotomasPosted 1/25/2013 2:54:09 PM
_DTM_ posted...
If you want a PC then get a PC. A Steam Box will just be a PC that runs Linux.

That was the prototype but we really don't know what the final product will be. I think that it would severely limit the platform if it were Linux only since games would have to be able to support this platform more widely on Steam.

I think this product will change before it is released.

And with regards to getting the PC to work on your TV, the PC has the advantage of being the ultimate in flexibility and potentially a performance king especially when compared to their console counterparts. I think that it is worth noting that many console gamers aren't necessarily interested in investing in those type of workarounds.

The ubiquity and simplicity of a console solution is remarkably appealing.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#57shawnmckPosted 1/25/2013 2:55:45 PM
It sounds good on paper, but its nothing more than a console box that plays PC games.
It's basically for people who can't or don't build their own PC's and want the PC quality of games in a console type setting.
Put it in your living room, hook it up to your HDtv...and play the latest PC games from your couch.
Given that most PC games get ported to the consoles anyways...what would be the point ?

Keep in mind that the steam box is going to be expensive.
It would be cheaper to just build your own PC.
#58SanboxmagicianPosted 1/25/2013 3:01:25 PM
For me it would depend on if I should just invest in a good pc rig or not.
#59EroyumePosted 1/25/2013 3:03:23 PM(edited)
No, I already have a gaming PC, so I'm not part of Valve's intended audience. This is for the console gamer that wants to play PC games but doesn't want the hassle that comes with it.

I've weighed pros and cons, and I can't find any reason to get a Steambox. Even form factor isn't much of an advantage, as I could just as easily build a powerful HTPC that is console-sized (maybe not as small as the Piston, but that's really excessive anyway).

The one good thing about Steambox is that it'll drive competition and force Sony and Microsoft to lower prices in their digital stores, but that has no bearing on whether or not I purchase it.
---
http://eroyume.com
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eroyume
#60Hicks233Posted 1/25/2013 3:03:53 PM
Why would I want a hamstrung pc when I've just put together a more than capable one?
---
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9458
Sheep are propper dumb, they run away when you go to stroke em