This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would a Steam Box "PC console" be more appealing to you than PS4/Xbox 3?

#61P00DGEPosted 1/25/2013 3:28:10 PM
Seeing as I would never consider buying a PS4 or Xbox 3 to begin with, Yes. It might be nice to use Steam in a console capacity.
#62CyhortI82Posted 1/25/2013 3:29:27 PM
Nope. I'd much rather have a real console made by people who don't hate consoles.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#63_DTM_Posted 1/25/2013 3:41:15 PM
regsantotomas posted...
_DTM_ posted...
If you want a PC then get a PC. A Steam Box will just be a PC that runs Linux.

That was the prototype but we really don't know what the final product will be. I think that it would severely limit the platform if it were Linux only since games would have to be able to support this platform more widely on Steam.

I think this product will change before it is released.

And with regards to getting the PC to work on your TV, the PC has the advantage of being the ultimate in flexibility and potentially a performance king especially when compared to their console counterparts. I think that it is worth noting that many console gamers aren't necessarily interested in investing in those type of workarounds.

The ubiquity and simplicity of a console solution is remarkably appealing.

The version Valve will release is gonna be 100% Linux. Windows is Microsoft and you think they will let a competitor use their OS? Even so Valve wants Linux to succeed lately and are porting all their games there to be ready for when it launches.

Other Steam Boxes might use Windows but those will probably just be PCs with Steam already installed so it really makes no sense to wait for one.
---
This is here only so people know when my post ends.
#64blackwaltz3Posted 1/25/2013 4:05:24 PM
Very much so, I don't think I would even buy a PS4/Xbox if the specs were good enough to play current games well
---
Trying is the first step towards failure.
PSN ID: Nieds
#65Zero254Posted 1/25/2013 4:10:55 PM
I already have one but this would make consoles I own step it up so yes.
---
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4318/sadhurtzeldarw8.jpg http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1761/sadhurtzeldaburnbh0.jpg
Official Roll player of vs games.
#66glory of power metalPosted 1/26/2013 10:40:40 AM(edited)
AsucaHayashi posted...
glory of power metal posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...
este914 posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...
have you seen the size of that thing?

Kind of irrelevant. You dont have any room next to your TV stand in your living room to put your PC?

not irrelevant at all.

he asked for advantages... the size alone is an advantage.

me(or anyone for that matter) not having room next to the TV or whatever, now that is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

You don't even need room in your living room, just run an hdmi cord through the wall with your ethernet. Getting your PC on a TV is getting increasingly easier unless you live in a truly giant house.

yeah, any experienced PC gamer would already have found a solution to the age old debate but that isn't really the demographic valve was aiming for.

That's my concern. So Valve isn't aiming this towards people who are already familiar with PC gaming because they either have or can create something more powerful, cheaper, and still capable of hooking up to their living room TV. They also aren't aiming towards your average consumer who wouldn't see the reason to get a $900 download only system when they can grab an Xbox 720 or PS4 multimedia device for (hopefully at least) much cheaper. So where's the middle ground this will appeal to? I don't think they exist.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#67Ryan SiPosted 1/26/2013 11:30:41 AM
Have a PC already and I regularly use an Xbox 360 controller I bought specifically for it. The reason I have my consoles is for the exclusives.
---
Most Wanted: Bit.Trip Runner 2 (PC), Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) Final Fantasy X HD (PS3)
#68LitCandlezPosted 1/26/2013 12:21:54 PM
kupo1705 posted...
I have a capable PC, so no.

---
GAMEFAQS- Where posting a different opinion is trolling, and moderators are always right! We all love this website!
I have a vita. PSN-LitCandles