This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Red Blinking Light on my ps3 and I have questions, help!

#1Masterpain22Posted 1/25/2013 10:46:56 AM
So it seems I got the YLOD for my 60GB ps3 and I have a few questions I couldn't find answered in other threads.
1- I'm sending it for repair at Gophermods. For people tha have tried them before, are they actually good, do I keep my save files after they fix it?
2- In the meantime, if I want to buy something from the psn store (there are some good deals that might not last until I get my ps3 back), is there a way to buy it now? (not sure if using the vita I can buy something for the ps3).
3-For future reference what is the best way to deal with my save files? For ps2 games can I back up the saves out of my ps3?

I think that's it for now, those are a bunch of random questions but I hope that I can get at least a few of those answered. Thanks in advance
---
PSN: Orca22
#2YOTAIncPosted 1/25/2013 10:56:23 AM
First - it's your lucky day because you can NOW, as of today, buy games, DLC, etc. from the actual PSN website. So you don't need your PS3 to purchase...you just need it to Download. So once you get your console back, those purchased items will be waiting on you.

Second - how much are they charging you to repair it plus shipping? Because honestly, hassle wise, it's almost as cheap to buy a used or even new system.
---
PSN: MacktasticDazzle
I am THE Macktastic Dazzle. Accept no substitutes.
#3Masterpain22(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 11:14:08 AM
Thanks a lot for your reply.
1-That's lucky that just now they made it available to buy games through the website, i will check it out :)

2-They charge about $80 with all included. I think it is a very good deal if it works because I don't need to worry about transferring files and I make sure i still have a backwards compatible system.
---
#4YOTAIncPosted 1/25/2013 11:24:19 AM
That's true about keeping a BC system. However, if it does indeed break again, then your out $80. So if you feel your repair is needed, do it. No one is here to tell you otherwise. :D
---
PSN: MacktasticDazzle
I am THE Macktastic Dazzle. Accept no substitutes.
#5Masterpain22(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 11:35:05 AM
I'm open to suggestions though, so yours are appreciated. When I get it back I will look for a way to get those save files transferred in case I need to get them to a new system.
I see now that I made a mistake playing my ps2 games on my ps3 because now that I already put over 80 hours on Dragon Quest 8 in there I have no option but to finish playing it there :(
---
#6ZHolyMadmanPosted 1/25/2013 11:57:54 AM(edited)
From what I hear, Gophermods won't do anything to delete your save data, so it should all be intact when you get your system back. If all they're doing is a simple "reflow", however, then you you will eventually get YLOD again because the damage is already done and any fix now will only be temporary.

Sorry. I mean that, having gone through the experience myself.

Once it's up and running, back up your data via USB or the cloud on PS+, get a new system and do a "system transfer" (because some save files are "locked" and can't be copied except by the cloud system or a system transfer) if you want to keep all your stuff and continue gaming happily. Everything should copy over in the transfer process, but the extra backup is just to be safe in case you YLOD again during the process (because a reflows can last anywhere from hours to months), then you can just shut down your account, activate it on the new PS3 and get your data back. Hope this helps.
---
ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY POST.