The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gameplay vs. Story

#1Hawke0Posted 1/26/2013 10:27:57 AM
what do you think is more important? - Results (216 votes)
Gameplay
69.91% (151 votes)
Story
30.09% (65 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Gameplay, partially because there are other mediums dedicated to story that do it better.
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.
#2jrr18Posted 1/26/2013 10:33:42 AM(edited)
You need both a game with good story and gameplay is better then a game with a bad story and great gameplay or a game with a great story and bad gameplay.
---
Victory over Namco destroyer of games through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#3monkeyman0111Posted 1/26/2013 10:36:15 AM
Very silly question, most people will say gameplay.

But I'd rather play a game like heavy rain, which doesn't have great gameplay, than watch a movie on heavy rain. Because a game driven by story is still a game.

The real question you're asking gamers is...

Do you prefer an interactive story game

or
Do you prefer every other game genre.

It's still not a good question because the margin people will choose will be disproportionate
---
"There are TONS of games that look BEAUTIFUL. It's not a matter of polygons anymore, it's a matter of ART DIRECTION now"
PSN: Monkeyman0111
#4You_Need_A_LifePosted 1/26/2013 11:51:33 AM
You need both, but gameplay is more important. It's right there in the name Video "GAME," not Video "STORY."

I also think that the bigger focus on providing a more cinematic story is part of why games are losing their appeal to gamers and getting more casual - you get less actual gameplay than before, and instead watch a bunch of cool looking videos, even if they're mildly interactive, like in Uncharted.

I've actually found myself bored of PS3 games and dug up the ol' NES & SNES, and I'm having an absolute blast. These games were about gameplay 100%, and they're so much fun to play again.
#5tracazoidPosted 1/26/2013 12:01:14 PM(edited)
Gameplay, there are many games and large chunks of genres(puzzle) like Tetris that don't have much or any story at all. A good story is nice yet Gaming has plenty of examples where story means jack, though in all honesty on the opposite side of the fence gaming has plenty of titles with good stories or atmosphere yet rather sub-par gameplay like Bioshock(compared to many shooters and its sequel the gameplay is bad), or Planescape Torment.

Still I will go with Gameplay.
#6jammiesPosted 1/26/2013 12:11:38 PM
Gameplay, yes, even in RPGs.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#7Hawke0(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 1:10:51 PM
bump
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.
#8badboyPosted 1/26/2013 1:32:45 PM
Gameplay is always the most important thing except in adventure games where the story is more important.

However, the story is also very important in many other genres like RPGs or action adventure games, but it's not more important than the gameplay.
#9Bayonetta_Posted 1/26/2013 1:35:21 PM
BOTH are important no matter what people say. If I'm going to spend big bucks on a console the games better look and play awesome.
#10TheTrueNubPosted 1/26/2013 1:36:17 PM
Either one can make up for the other.

Both.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png