This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gameplay vs. Story

#11CloakedNubPosted 1/26/2013 2:36:59 PM
Gameplay is always the most important aspect. That doesn't mean Story isn't right behind it, however.
#12Hawke0(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 3:07:25 PM
Bayonetta_ posted...
BOTH are important no matter what people say. If I'm going to spend big bucks on a console the games better look and play awesome.

That would be graphics and gameplay, not story and gameplay.
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.
#13tiornysPosted 1/26/2013 3:08:42 PM
CloakedNub posted...
Gameplay is always the most important aspect. That doesn't mean Story isn't right behind it, however.
#14peter_888Posted 1/26/2013 3:24:33 PM
jammies posted...
Gameplay, yes, even in RPGs.

---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#15MrFroonPosted 1/26/2013 3:33:13 PM
I feel it depends on genre really...

Consider Grim Fandango, an adventure game. I feel it has one of the best stories of all time. Game-play wise, however, it is pretty weak. The same can be said about many of the point-and-click adventure games.

Compare that to the classic FPS, Duke Nukem 3D. The story was pretty weak... Aliens shot down your ride, so save the world and get back the chicks. But the game-play was solid and a lot of fun. Classic FPS and platformers, as well as many other genres, don't need much of a story. Game-play is what is important here.

Of course, these days both good game-play and good story can be found within the one game. But I feel that either can make a good game.
#16kingofall214Posted 1/26/2013 3:42:27 PM
MrFroon posted...
I feel it depends on genre really...

Consider Grim Fandango, an adventure game. I feel it has one of the best stories of all time. Game-play wise, however, it is pretty weak. The same can be said about many of the point-and-click adventure games.

Compare that to the classic FPS, Duke Nukem 3D. The story was pretty weak... Aliens shot down your ride, so save the world and get back the chicks. But the game-play was solid and a lot of fun. Classic FPS and platformers, as well as many other genres, don't need much of a story. Game-play is what is important here.

Of course, these days both good game-play and good story can be found within the one game. But I feel that either can make a good game.

Point n click games have tons of puzzles though right?
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#17wstfldPosted 1/26/2013 4:09:25 PM
Gameplay. Stories and writing getting better is just a bonus from this gen.
---
Last Played: Civ 5 G&K (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civ 5, DmC, SOTC HD
#18tiornysPosted 1/26/2013 4:23:32 PM
MrFroon posted...

I don't agree. Either can make a game entertaining enough to be worth playing, but it takes both to make a a game good. And I think a game with great gameplay and a poor story will generally be more enjoyable than a game with poor gameplay and a great story, so gameplay is slightly more important than story.

t~
#19jbl8199Posted 1/26/2013 4:23:38 PM
As an rpg player I'm going to be the oddball and go with story. I hate it when games have a crappy story or no story at all.
#20kupo1705Posted 1/26/2013 4:24:34 PM
Anyone who says story needs to stop playing games immediately.