This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gameplay vs. Story

#21calhoun1389Posted 1/26/2013 4:26:26 PM
Both are extremely important, however, if a game has abysmal gameplay, then it becomes a chore to play regardless of how good the story is. The same can't always be said about the opposite however. If a game has amazing gameplay, but a terrible story, it can still be fun so long as you aren't playing a story based genre like RPGs.
---
http://digitalmasters.4umotion.com/ Join and make friends.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#22Lost_All_SensesPosted 1/26/2013 4:27:34 PM
This is a dumb question. I'm a gamer that likes a verity of games like most gamers. It all matters what Im in the mood for. Sometimes I want to relax and play a game that doesn't take a lot of attention but has a good story and other times I wanna play a game where my eyes have to be glued to the screen if I don't want to die.
---
"I might make threats I won't never fulfill,hopin your smart enough to use some will and do as I say outta fear that I will"
#23NejiHyuga900Posted 1/26/2013 4:49:45 PM
Story > Gameplay
For me.
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag & Nintendo Network ID: TDPNeji
Steam ID: NejiHyuga900
#24leopoldsharkPosted 1/26/2013 4:52:21 PM
It depends on what the main selling point of the game is. Something like an RPG is more focused on story than gameplay. Something like a platformer is more focused on gameplay than story. If my main focus in playing a game is the story, then I am able to tolerate less than quality gameplay (to a point). The same thing is with story. Doesn't mean a game can't have both. It is just a lot of developers nowadays like to put story at the forefront when the gameplay is the far superior part. They shove cutscenes in your face which interrupt gameplay and overall sours the game experience.
#25Draconas_LyrrPosted 1/26/2013 4:53:00 PM
I prefer both, but I've always leaned towards story. I like video games because they are interactive stories. I don't like movies because there isn't interaction with it. You just sit there and watch.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
I'll never look at an apple the same way again..
#26mtjormitchPosted 1/26/2013 6:44:34 PM
Story is always going to be more important in a modern video game. Why even play it if it doesn't have a story anymore?

Story based video games are great, gameplay only ones are meaningless crack addiction simulators.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#27Raven_CyarmPosted 1/26/2013 6:48:46 PM
A good story can make me forgive bad gameplay.
---
#AntiSmark
http://www.youtube.com/RavenCyarm
#28jammiesPosted 1/26/2013 7:13:11 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...

That makes one of us.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#29mtjormitchPosted 1/26/2013 7:18:10 PM
jammies posted...
Raven_Cyarm posted...

That makes one of us.

Deadly Premonition is one of the best games of the decade even though the gameplay is crap. The Story is amazing. Story is just far more well worth playing than for gameplay's sake only. Why play something which is only designed to addict you until the next version of it comes out?

At least story based video games are just plain better than gameplay only ones.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#30mtjormitchPosted 1/26/2013 9:39:25 PM
PS3 video gamers are way smarter than 360 ones at least. They know story is important unlike those children in the other board.
---