This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gameplay vs. Story

#31RPG maniac87Posted 1/26/2013 9:50:00 PM
It's gotta be both, but if I had to choose one it'd have to be story. I wouldn't enjoy series like Kingdom Hearts nearly as much as I do if they didn't have a great story. I've never had great gameplay stick with me the same way a great story does.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#32glory of power metalPosted 1/26/2013 9:50:58 PM
Gameplay is more important without a doubt. Hell, for the majority of video game history story has been either non-existent or a simplistic means to an end. Gaming is an interactive entertainment medium and without engaging and rewarding interactivity it fails.

A game with no story and good game play (like pretty much any arcade game, game released pre-SNES era, or a multitude of current PSN and XBLA titles) can be very good. A good story added in can only help, a bad one can't hurt unless it impedes on the game play with drawn out cutscenes and stuff, but a good story with bad game play fails as a game. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed, though.

And to be clear, games like Heavy Rain (which I haven't played) that feature heavy story and limited game play aren't necessarily bad by my definition, I think that game play can be extremely limited and even take a back seat to story (TWD is another example of this) and still be very good, just as long as what ever game play is still there is tasteful and well executed.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#33themegaman7Posted 1/26/2013 9:51:40 PM
Gameplay. There is a reason why FF7, 5 and 4 are my favourite FFs.
---
PSN - Expa0
- The official Doppelganger of SMT IV boards -
#34mtjormitchPosted 1/26/2013 10:17:10 PM
glory of power metal posted...
Gameplay is more important without a doubt. Hell, for the majority of video game history story has been either non-existent or a simplistic means to an end. Gaming is an interactive entertainment medium and without engaging and rewarding interactivity it fails.

A game with no story and good game play (like pretty much any arcade game, game released pre-SNES era, or a multitude of current PSN and XBLA titles) can be very good. A good story added in can only help, a bad one can't hurt unless it impedes on the game play with drawn out cutscenes and stuff, but a good story with bad game play fails as a game. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed, though.

And to be clear, games like Heavy Rain (which I haven't played) that feature heavy story and limited game play aren't necessarily bad by my definition, I think that game play can be extremely limited and even take a back seat to story (TWD is another example of this) and still be very good, just as long as what ever game play is still there is tasteful and well executed.

Yet the very nature of how video games are going, You are going to hate them due to how many story based titles are being made. Also the fact that it has gotten more important because story based games win awards and praise at all times. So why bother making gameplay only ones anymore?
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#35doraemonllh1989Posted 1/26/2013 10:18:47 PM
gameplay definitely

Story?how long can a MAGNIFICENT story hold your interest?

gameplay is the one thats gonna prolong the replay value of a game
---
my grammar sucks and i dont care
disappointing game of the year = re6 (6.5/10)
#36mtjormitchPosted 1/26/2013 10:32:31 PM
doraemonllh1989 posted...
gameplay definitely

Story?how long can a MAGNIFICENT story hold your interest?

gameplay is the one thats gonna prolong the replay value of a game

Who cares about replayability when I can play Bioshock and have a great story all the damn time?

Replayability does not mean good. It just shows people that crack addiction that is gameplay only does to people.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#37glory of power metalPosted 1/26/2013 11:27:23 PM
mtjormitch posted...
glory of power metal posted...

Yet the very nature of how video games are going, You are going to hate them due to how many story based titles are being made. Also the fact that it has gotten more important because story based games win awards and praise at all times. So why bother making gameplay only ones anymore?

There's always going to be a market for throwback titles with little to no focus on story elements as many indie and arcade titles have proven. In the same sense, we still love love older titles that have been re-released with limited story telling like Castlevania: SotN, all the classic Mario and Sonic titles, ect. It's true that no game will be competing for game of the year without a well executed plot, but that doesn't mean people won't buy them up.

My favorite games of the last 2 years-ish have been Rayman Origins, Portal 2, Fallout: NV (this is the -ish game) and Borderlands 2. In their own unique way they are all good examples of games with excellent game play and a story that is well executed and appropriate for what they strive to do. They are great for their game play and held together and shine with a well made story. That's how I think games should be done.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#38Thor61Posted 1/26/2013 11:37:48 PM
You can make many games with virtually no story and it could still be fantastic but I've never played a game with mediocre or bad gameplay and liked it because of the story.
#39CuteBlueBabyBeaPosted 1/26/2013 11:39:02 PM
gameplay, duh.
#40fadecaPosted 1/26/2013 11:54:16 PM
Most definitely gameplay, i do enjoy a good story like anyone else, but if the gameplay sucks, then there's no point in me playing it.