This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gameplay vs. Story

#41shabaabaPosted 1/27/2013 12:19:51 AM
You don't need both. If you needed both video games wouldn't exist today. Because for 2 decades or so, all games were was gameplay. Any story they had was some cockamamie text wall inside an instruction manual, or a mushroom in a castle telling you to keep looking.

A game might have the best story in the world, but if you can't play it, you'll never experience it.

So, Gameplay.
#42mtjormitchPosted 1/27/2013 12:57:32 AM
s posted...
You don't need both. If you needed both video games wouldn't exist today. Because for 2 decades or so, all games were was gameplay. Any story they had was some ****amamie text wall inside an instruction manual, or a mushroom in a castle telling you to keep looking.

A game might have the best story in the world, but if you can't play it, you'll never experience it.

So, Gameplay.

Yet Virtual Novels, Text games, and even point and click games have ALWAYS existed and proven this wrong constantly.

A video game without a story is utterly meaningless. A video game made today without a story does not deserve to exist.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#43glory of power metalPosted 1/27/2013 1:19:02 AM
mtjormitch posted...
s posted...
You don't need both. If you needed both video games wouldn't exist today. Because for 2 decades or so, all games were was gameplay. Any story they had was some ****amamie text wall inside an instruction manual, or a mushroom in a castle telling you to keep looking.

So, Gameplay.

Yet Virtual Novels, Text games, and even point and click games have ALWAYS existed and proven this wrong constantly.

A video game without a story is utterly meaningless. A video game made today without a story does not deserve to exist.

What qualifies as not having a story? Are Pacman, Centipede, Asteroids, and Mario utterly useless? Do smaller titles like NightSky, World of Goo, and bit.trip not deserve to exist? This all goes back to my argument. Game play needs to be there and needs to work. There are simply too many great games to flat out deny that story is the most important aspect of a game.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#44TheCyborgNinjaPosted 1/27/2013 1:26:09 AM
Excluding fighting games, I can ignore bad gameplay if I love the story. That said, without a good story, it doesn't matter how well something boring runs or controls, it's still boring.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#45mad_hax_manPosted 1/27/2013 3:21:13 AM
calhoun1389 posted...
Both are extremely important, however, if a game has abysmal gameplay, then it becomes a chore to play regardless of how good the story is. The same can't always be said about the opposite however. If a game has amazing gameplay, but a terrible story, it can still be fun so long as you aren't playing a story based genre like RPGs.

glory of power metal posted...
Gameplay is more important without a doubt. Hell, for the majority of video game history story has been either non-existent or a simplistic means to an end. Gaming is an interactive entertainment medium and without engaging and rewarding interactivity it fails.

A game with no story and good game play (like pretty much any arcade game, game released pre-SNES era, or a multitude of current PSN and XBLA titles) can be very good. A good story added in can only help, a bad one can't hurt unless it impedes on the game play with drawn out cutscenes and stuff, but a good story with bad game play fails as a game. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed, though.

And to be clear, games like Heavy Rain (which I haven't played) that feature heavy story and limited game play aren't necessarily bad by my definition, I think that game play can be extremely limited and even take a back seat to story (TWD is another example of this) and still be very good, just as long as what ever game play is still there is tasteful and well executed.

Ultimately, it comes down to these two post. No matter how bad a games story is, its ignorable. Bad gameplay isn't.

While there are some great games out there that focus on story over gameplay, they still need to have serviceable gameplay at the very least. A game that focus's on gameplay would benefit from a good story, its not necessary.

It should also be noted that what constitutes good gameplay changes over genre. Point and click adventure games are more about puzzles and challenges than they are controlling a character

And Glory of Power Metal God, I wouldn't bother with mtjormitch. Soon he will start using massive fallacies and straw man arguments and by the end of the debate he will just post complete gibberish. .
---
"Hey bridesmaid, love the beard! Give's me something to hang onto!!"- Lord Flasheart
#46sharinguyPosted 1/27/2013 3:34:17 AM
Gameplay is the most importance part of a video game. Part of the reason some games are feeling souless this gen is because devs are trying to make cinematic experiences and pretty cut scenes.

In reality a game just needs good gameplay, good atmosphere(includes art style/visuals and music ) and good/interesting characters. You could say that the story is completely unimportant because most of the time when people say a story is good they talk about the characters and not the actual story and maybe how the story was told.

As far as story goes you just need a solid introduction/prologue, an ok conflict, some climax, maybe a twist and a ending/epilogue.
---
PSN: Dorman_777
Pokemon Black FC: 5414-9379-0757
#47mtjormitchPosted 1/27/2013 3:36:56 AM
mad_hax_man posted...
calhoun1389 posted...
Both are extremely important, however, if a game has abysmal gameplay, then it becomes a chore to play regardless of how good the story is. The same can't always be said about the opposite however. If a game has amazing gameplay, but a terrible story, it can still be fun so long as you aren't playing a story based genre like RPGs.

Gameplay is more important without a doubt. Hell, for the majority of video game history story has been either non-existent or a simplistic means to an end. Gaming is an interactive entertainment medium and without engaging and rewarding interactivity it fails.

A game with no story and good game play (like pretty much any arcade game, game released pre-SNES era, or a multitude of current PSN and XBLA titles) can be very good. A good story added in can only help, a bad one can't hurt unless it impedes on the game play with drawn out cutscenes and stuff, but a good story with bad game play fails as a game. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed, though.

And to be clear, games like Heavy Rain (which I haven't played) that feature heavy story and limited game play aren't necessarily bad by my definition, I think that game play can be extremely limited and even take a back seat to story (TWD is another example of this) and still be very good, just as long as what ever game play is still there is tasteful and well executed.

Ultimately, it comes down to these two post. No matter how bad a games story is, its ignorable. Bad gameplay isn't.

While there are some great games out there that focus on story over gameplay, they still need to have serviceable gameplay at the very least. A game that focus's on gameplay would benefit from a good story, its not necessary.

It should also be noted that what constitutes good gameplay changes over genre. Point and click adventure games are more about puzzles and challenges than they are controlling a character

And Glory of Power Metal God, I wouldn't bother with mtjormitch. Soon he will start using massive fallacies and straw man arguments and by the end of the debate he will just post complete gibberish. .

Considering the very best video games out there are STORY BASED. Sorry to tell you, but gameplay only video games being best is DEAD. Why bother playing them? They are all the same and all made to do one thing to people like you, make you addicted until the next version arrives. Lets be honest. This is exactly what they do!

A video game without a story deserves no respect and deserves nothing in terms of merits. All it does is spit in the name of what a modern video game is meant to be and anyone who disagrees with me is part of the problem and part of the reason why people do not respect us or our medium!

Oh, and reviewers even disagree at this point. Considering The Walking Dead was the best video game last year without having any gameplay or barely any at all. It pretty much prove you pacman addicts that story is more important! BHWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#48sharinguyPosted 1/27/2013 3:46:01 AM
mtjormitch posted...
mad_hax_man posted...
calhoun1389 posted...

Considering the very best video games out there are STORY BASED. Sorry to tell you, but gameplay only video games being best is DEAD. Why bother playing them? They are all the same and all made to do one thing to people like you, make you addicted until the next version arrives. Lets be honest. This is exactly what they do!

A video game without a story deserves no respect and deserves nothing in terms of merits. All it does is spit in the name of what a modern video game is meant to be and anyone who disagrees with me is part of the problem and part of the reason why people do not respect us or our medium!

Oh, and reviewers even disagree at this point. Considering The Walking Dead was the best video game last year without having any gameplay or barely any at all. It pretty much prove you pacman addicts that story is more important! BHWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

And this is why we have corridor games that run bad folks. You know Shadow of the colossi had no story whatsoever yet the game was memorable and fun. If what you say games with good gameplay only exist to release sequels then where is my godhand 2?

If you want a real good story just go read a book mate. A story in a book is a 1,000 times better than a story in a video game, heck even movies have better stories considering that most of the video game story writers are leftovers from the movie and tv industry.
---
PSN: Dorman_777
Pokemon Black FC: 5414-9379-0757
#49mtjormitchPosted 1/27/2013 3:46:43 AM
sharinguy posted...
Gameplay is the most importance part of a video game. Part of the reason some games are feeling souless this gen is because devs are trying to make cinematic experiences and pretty cut scenes.

In reality a game just needs good gameplay, good atmosphere(includes art style/visuals and music ) and good/interesting characters. You could say that the story is completely unimportant because most of the time when people say a story is good they talk about the characters and not the actual story and maybe how the story was told.

As far as story goes you just need a solid introduction/prologue, an ok conflict, some climax, maybe a twist and a ending/epilogue.

Which made them better than any other gen DUE to actually, you know, caring about the medium instead of caring about retro drones such as you. This is effectively what you like more, DO YOU LIKE STORY, OR DO YOU LIKE KILLING AND EXPLOSIONS!!!!!!

One is not like the other and the one that is right is the former one. If you honestly think that the latter is better. Sorry to tell you, but you are honestly wrong. Story has actually become far more important in video games and is here to stay kiddos! Otherwise they would have stopped TEN YEARS AGO! When in reality, it is getting more and more story based, just look at video game designers, they want to tell stories, not create games. That is a insanely good thing. and if you deny them that you are just as bad as Micheal Bay is about anything!

The very fact that people like you exist sickens me as a writer. You don't deserve good video games nor do you actually deserve anything at all. You people who pick gameplay are just as hopeless as those old people who denied TV a right to tell stories, or books, or movies, or comic books, sooner or later, you are all going to die in vain to try and keep your values like this when in reality, you have been wrong from the beginning, just take a look at how video game games are evolving now. They don't need you old fools anymore. Neither do I, I am going to stop talking about this crap, and I am going to become a video game designer... going to be hilarious when you all praise my video games while I pretty much make money off you all. Then when I announce the fact that I will be killing off all my characters due to people like you existing I will cause a very big debate on story vs gameplay, and I will keep doing this until everyone is on my side.

Also, the very fact that people got pissed off at ME3's ending like they did, pretty much does prove story is more important as well. Judging by the reactions it made.
---
#50mtjormitchPosted 1/27/2013 3:55:42 AM(edited)
And this is why we have corridor games that run bad folks. You know Shadow of the colossi had no story whatsoever yet the game was memorable and fun. If what you say games with good gameplay only exist to release sequels then where is my godhand 2?

If you want a real good story just go read a book mate. A story in a book is a 1,000 times better than a story in a video game, heck even movies have better stories considering that most of the video game story writers are leftovers from the movie and tv industry.
------------------------------------------
First of, Shadow of the Colossus has a story, and it is still better than any gameplay only video game ever made. If there wasn't a story in it it wouldn't be worth playing then. It wouldn't be art.

Also, Gameplay only games made by Japan suck. Didn't you realize that?

Oh, and that statement, go away. A story in a video game is JUST like a book, both of them are pretty much equals in terms of story power. And denying that is literally just opinion judging how video game developers actually do care about story. Unlike you who just pisses on devs who make story because you got to damn addicted to mario to know what the word story even is.

Books are also 1000 to more years old, movies are 100 years old and video games already beat them in the story department. You are nothing more than an insect and even the crappiest writer in video games probably makes more money than you will in your entire life. That is also a fact. They are more important than YOU!

People like you are the reason why politicians attack video games. You make me sick as a video game enthusiest and as a person who thinks they know about stories.

You know nothing, and you don't deserve to be listened to when video game developers keep proving you wrong daily.
---