This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games, RPGs in particular, would be a lot better with rap music

#271NintendologicalPosted 1/28/2013 12:33:45 AM
CooperRC posted...

I have probably seen more anime than anyone else on this board and I have not yet seen a show with a full rap soundtrack. Finding even a single rap in a soundtrack is not even common. Rap is terrible no matter who sings it including rap in Japanese.

You haven't seen enough anime then because you missed Samurai Champloo and Afro Samurai, both of which features scores that are entirely comprised of hip hop songs. Samurai Champloo itself uses hip hop culture, aesthetics and music as a thematic device within the series (in fact, an entire episode is devoted to Mugen mastering the art of graffiti). Then you have shows like Tenjou Tenghe, which is not a hip hop oriented show, but the intro is a hip hop song.

TehRYNOL posted...
I'm a big fan of hip hop, but I believe that hip hop and video games rarely go well together.

I can't think of any good combinations off the top of my head except when hip hop is played on radio stations such as in GTA.

Street Fighter III Third Strike
The World Ends With You
Grand Theft Auto
Def Jam Vendetta
Need For Speed
Parappa The Rapper
Dance Dance Revolution
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#272coldwinePosted 1/28/2013 12:42:16 AM
Wow bad idea.
---
"Life is a mistake that only art can correct" - from Passing Strange
#273carsaucePosted 1/28/2013 12:43:21 AM
Ah no thanks, and they already did that with Star Ocean Till The End of Time, went a jazzy yet urban hip hop way, this is also in Grandia series, or somewhat of it, so no ty.
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#274TaikutsunaPosted 1/29/2013 8:40:57 PM
MlREFOX posted...
WestcoastMike posted...
Man, people still do the whole "rap isn't music" thing? Why? Because the vocals? What about the instrumentals; if that isn't music, wtf is it?

Instrumentals? You mean someone using computer then running that riff through a mixer? Hahahahahaha.....right, music...

You mean where they take 30 second sound loops from REAL musicians and talk while you're trying to figure out who they stole the sound bite from? That's not art, that's plagerism.
---
If god didn't want people eating animals...
He wouldn't have made them out of meat..
#275CooperRCPosted 1/29/2013 8:48:14 PM
Nintendological posted...
CooperRC posted...

I have probably seen more anime than anyone else on this board and I have not yet seen a show with a full rap soundtrack. Finding even a single rap in a soundtrack is not even common. Rap is terrible no matter who sings it including rap in Japanese.

You haven't seen enough anime then because you missed Samurai Champloo and Afro Samurai, both of which features scores that are entirely comprised of hip hop songs. Samurai Champloo itself uses hip hop culture, aesthetics and music as a thematic device within the series (in fact, an entire episode is devoted to Mugen mastering the art of graffiti). Then you have shows like Tenjou Tenghe, which is not a hip hop oriented show, but the intro is a hip hop song.

TehRYNOL posted...
I'm a big fan of hip hop, but I believe that hip hop and video games rarely go well together.

I can't think of any good combinations off the top of my head except when hip hop is played on radio stations such as in GTA.

Street Fighter III Third Strike
The World Ends With You
Grand Theft Auto
Def Jam Vendetta
Need For Speed
Parappa The Rapper
Dance Dance Revolution

I have seen Samurai Champloo and Tenjho Tenge and like I said they do not have a soundtrack completely filled with rap. I never said there are no rap songs in anime (although I wish this were the case). Otaku in Japan prefer their j-pop with female vocalists.
#276mohsin28Posted 2/1/2013 1:59:58 PM
What's with all this rap hate? It's one thing to not like a song but to make wide blanket statements about an entire genre is not only ignorant, its ******* stupid.
---
you better watch what the **** flies outta yo mouth,
or imma highjack a plane and fly it into your house.