This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend an RPG!

#1Artof_WarPosted 1/26/2013 5:43:41 PM
I've played the following on PS3: Valkyria Chronicles, Skyrim and Demon's Souls.

I'm interested in anything -- PSOne Classics, PS2, anything new on PS3.

I've looked into Ni No Kuni and played the demo. First impressions I didn't like the combat. LOVED the art. I haven't had much time to revisit it. I watched the GiantBomb QL and it looked good, but I'm still not $60 sold for now. Just not sure if I like the idea of Familiars or bubbles to select combat mechanics. If you can alleviate those concerns, feel free.

Anyway, I'm looking for a game with a solid, captivating story (like your favorite book) and combat that is simple in understanding but complex to master (like the board game Carcassone -- odd comparison I know). I'm not sure if I'm too much into level grinding, though I know it's at least something to expect with an RPG. Let's put it this way, if the grinding is enjoyable (like playing skirmish maps on Valkyria Chronicles), then I'm in.

Cheers.
---
PSN: Artof_War
#2jbl8199Posted 1/26/2013 5:44:36 PM
Persona 3 FES
#3tiornysPosted 1/26/2013 5:49:57 PM
Reports I've seen suggest that the demo does a really bad job of showcasing NNK. If it otherwise looked interesting to you, I'd suggest Ni No Kuni.

It gets a lot of criticism, but FFXIII fits your definition of combat that is simple to understand but complex to master. I personally liked the story, but I'm not sure I'd call it solid (it has various presentation issues).

For older games there are plenty worth recommending, but Grandia was the first thing that popped into my head. It definitely fits what you're looking for in story and combat.

t~
#4darkseid09Posted 1/26/2013 5:59:24 PM
i would go with any fire emblem games(they have stategy involved as well).

Also Tales of Vesperia is one of my favorite games as well., Personally FFXIII the combat to me is kinda sucky, i would prefer FFXII instead.
---
PSN= Ragnarok09
You don't suck, I'm just better.
#5Artof_War(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 6:29:46 PM
jbl8199 posted...
Persona 3 FES

I've heard good thing about Persona 4 Golden, but dismissed it quickly because I don't own a Vita. I'll look into this one.
---
#6Artof_War(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 6:32:45 PM
tiornys posted...
Reports I've seen suggest that the demo does a really bad job of showcasing NNK. If it otherwise looked interesting to you, I'd suggest Ni No Kuni.

It gets a lot of criticism, but FFXIII fits your definition of combat that is simple to understand but complex to master. I personally liked the story, but I'm not sure I'd call it solid (it has various presentation issues).

For older games there are plenty worth recommending, but Grandia was the first thing that popped into my head. It definitely fits what you're looking for in story and combat.

t~

Is Grandia available on the PSN? Forgot to mention it has to be playable on PS3.
---
#7Artof_War(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 6:37:52 PM
darkseid09 posted...
i would go with any fire emblem games(they have stategy involved as well).

Also Tales of Vesperia is one of my favorite games as well., Personally FFXIII the combat to me is kinda sucky, i would prefer FFXII instead.

Is Fire Emblem an SRPG? Grid based instead of open like Valkyria Chronicles. Also, is it on PSN and which one would you recommen most? /End Questions... lol.
---
#8psfanatix18Posted 1/26/2013 6:43:31 PM
Try Dragon Age: Origins or Nier
---
You are your own personal reflection...
PSN: psfanatix
#9zaingasmPosted 1/26/2013 6:44:54 PM
jbl8199 posted...
Persona 3 FES

---
3DS Friend Code: 2019-9981-2913 [PSN:ZainEatsAirplane]
Official Glaceon of the Pokemon X Boards
#10tiornysPosted 1/26/2013 6:49:12 PM(edited)
Artof_War posted...
Is Grandia available on the PSN? Forgot to mention it has to be playable on PS3.

Had to check, but yes it is. Only $5.99, easily worth more than that.

darkseid09 posted...
Personally FFXIII the combat to me is kinda sucky, i would prefer FFXII instead.

I found FFXIII's combat to have more depth and better responsiveness to strategy than FFXII's combat, but that might just be because I didn't like FFXII's control options (inputting commands for everyone was clunky, and gambit optimization didn't appeal to me).

t~