This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you guys think the PS4 will include an HDMI cable right out of the box?

#111glory of power metalPosted 1/28/2013 6:54:28 AM
Standard is not the same as lowest common denominator. Regardless, the point was that they shipped the consoles to stores with everything the commonwealth needed to just take their systems out, plug them in and play. Shipping with only the HDMI cables here in the US means that several million people will have to go out and buy an add-on attachment just to play the system. I guess it would be somewhat acceptable if the SDTV users were only about 1% of all people in the US, but the fact remains that only 2/3 of the US population has an HDTV in their home... that means there are roughly 100mil people who don't have one. Not 100 people, not 1,000 not 100,000, but 100,000,000 people still using SDTVs.

And I'd imagine those 100 million people are going to be the first ones to start sending Sony angry e-mails when their $600 PS4 doesn't come with the proper cord to use on a TV retailers haven't even stocked for 5 years. Then again you've proven through poor Eoin that you're hellbent on the idea that Sony needs to use dead technology no matter what logic suggests so I won't push the point. Just a suggestion though, based on your earlier posts, maybe your time twisting arguments would better spent looking for a second job. >_>
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#112king_maddenPosted 1/28/2013 11:35:24 AM
Trespasser2003 posted...
If something with three digits is considered expensive, what in the name of all that is good and holy are you doing buying a ps4?! How are you going to afford the games? Accessories? Go buy some groceries for your starving family.

lol i love how oblivious gamefaqs is to the real world.

to the other posters though, yes sdtvs havent been the hot thing in stores (a few bestbuys still have them), but the thing you all are forgetting is the majority of people still have sdtvs, so why not cater to the majority?

its odd people here know an hdmi cable can be found cheap just about anywhere, so why not just go buy it? you talk about families that cant afford a $100+ tv, but you complain about having to buy a $5 cord.

I dont even know why Eoin is sticking with this "monitor" argument, they are the smallest group, no one should ever cater to the smallest group. just because you and your buddies might do it, doesnt mean everyone else is. monitors dont even have cable connection do they?
#113RafedxPosted 1/28/2013 11:36:26 AM
Solnot posted...
Nintendo is doing it with the Wii U. Will Sony and Microsoft follow Nintendo's example?

Yes, and anyone that whines about it not coming with RGB cables needs to get with the times.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#114kuterPosted 1/28/2013 11:38:19 AM
calhoun1389 posted...
I hope not. Not everyone who is getting the next system has an HDTV... hell, not everyone who has this gen consoles has an HDTV. If they don't give the regular AV cables or at least make the PS4 compatible with the PS3's, then it alienates anyone who can't afford a $500+ TV.

500$ TV? a 25inch HDTV cost around 200$ to 250$. You don't need a 34573957943935inch tv to play games.
#115nihilist212Posted 1/28/2013 11:39:19 AM
I'll say no, just because I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. Not that I care, I have like 5 of them and I only need 4.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#116regsantotomasPosted 1/28/2013 11:43:46 AM(edited)
This is all but a given.

Considering that this console will have to have the most basic connections available, HDMI is the one that makes the most sense since HDTVs are the defacto standard now.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#117EoinPosted 1/28/2013 11:51:16 AM
king_madden posted...
I dont even know why Eoin is sticking with this "monitor" argument, they are the smallest group, no one should ever cater to the smallest group. just because you and your buddies might do it, doesnt mean everyone else is. monitors dont even have cable connection do they?

Firstly, I don't use a monitor, and I have no idea why you have blindly assumed that I do.

Secondly, I have already explained my argument, multiple times. The person I am arguing with feels that it is wrong to exclude some people (by not including composite cables) but magically perfectly okay to exclude other people (by not including HDMI cables). He can't have both sides of this argument. Either the cables should be as inclusive as possible (therefore a HDMI cable should be included) or else it's totally fine to exclude people (in which case he cannot argue against people who feel that composite cables should be excluded).

That is all I'm saying, and it's really not that hard to understand, despite your self-admitted failure in doing so.
#118secondhand1Posted 1/28/2013 12:02:02 PM
king_madden posted...
lol i love how oblivious gamefaqs is to the real world.

to the other posters though, yes sdtvs havent been the hot thing in stores (a few bestbuys still have them), but the thing you all are forgetting is the majority of people still have sdtvs, so why not cater to the majority?

its odd people here know an hdmi cable can be found cheap just about anywhere, so why not just go buy it? you talk about families that cant afford a $100+ tv, but you complain about having to buy a $5 cord.

Because it's not about the majority. It's about the group that will be more profitable. Who is more likely to buy the console in the release window at full retail? The one with the HDTV and plenty of disposable income, or the person with the SDTV who is going to wait for the price drop?

The first guy goes to BBY or Gamestop, or wherever on launch day and buys a $500 console, an extra controller and at least two games. That's the guy you cater to because he will continue to tell you to shut up and take his money. The second guy, by the time he's ready, becomes incremental. You play to your best customers, which oftentimes is not the majority.
---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.
#119regsantotomasPosted 1/28/2013 12:02:45 PM
Eoin posted...
king_madden posted...

Firstly, I don't use a monitor, and I have no idea why you have blindly assumed that I do.

Secondly, I have already explained my argument, multiple times. The person I am arguing with feels that it is wrong to exclude some people (by not including composite cables) but magically perfectly okay to exclude other people (by not including HDMI cables). He can't have both sides of this argument. Either the cables should be as inclusive as possible (therefore a HDMI cable should be included) or else it's totally fine to exclude people (in which case he cannot argue against people who feel that composite cables should be excluded).

That is all I'm saying, and it's really not that hard to understand, despite your self-admitted failure in doing so.

Yeah, there is no way a cross section is going to be left out with regards to what is included as standard equipment. That has been the case since multiple interfaces have been available.

It is really a quite a simple notion. Try to serve the largest user base; in this specific scenario: HDMI.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#120Juvart24Posted 1/28/2013 12:32:40 PM
calhoun1389 posted...
I hope not. Not everyone who is getting the next system has an HDTV... hell, not everyone who has this gen consoles has an HDTV. If they don't give the regular AV cables or at least make the PS4 compatible with the PS3's, then it alienates anyone who can't afford a $500+ TV.

$200+ TV
---
"A true hero turns into a werewolf, kills a village full of idiots, then pimps their women out for profit to buy new armor" - Exar0s
GT: Juvart24