This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Metal Gear Rising comes off as a B game.

#61tracazoidPosted 1/27/2013 1:59:55 PM(edited)
So it's like half of the series, which comes off as a B movie/game. Do people miss the cheesy parts in Metal Gear games or miss the last decade of the series? I love the series but do people think it's some super serious series? It has a series tone to yes, to a degree, yet it has just as much cheese and jokes all the freaking time.

Fatman who's catchphrase was pretty much, "Laugh and grow fat", Vamp, Fortune and the Cobra unit which got no characterization yet were all crazy individuals with a degree of supernatural power or just weird crap. Oh yeah and the MGS2 crotch grab,node/nerd, Johnny's family, talking about how great boxes are. *points to headband* "Infinite ammo".

Probably missing tons yet until Metal Gear Solid 4 came out and tried to "science" everything seven years after 2 and four after 3 most people just assumed those were supernatural elements as odd as they were. Yet even 4 doesn't explain bits of MGS3 which pre-date the Patriots and have stuff like cloaking tech in 1964, the Sorrow, the Pain.

MGS3 is basically one big B movie and it's the best one.

So yeah the series has always had the B movie vibe with over the top villains, etc. Not like Kojima gave the B&B corp or Cobra Unit any characterization either. "Oh she's dead, hey Drebin tell me her life story."
#62ZOMGkawaiidesuPosted 1/27/2013 1:53:40 PM
Just be glad it wasn't outsourced to a Western developer, like so many other Japanese IPs. I can't even imagine anything worse. Yuck!
#63necro00Posted 1/27/2013 1:53:51 PM
Platinum games is overrated as hell
#64spectermaster14Posted 1/27/2013 1:57:59 PM
Just be glad it wasn't outsourced to a Western developer, like so many other Japanese IPs. I can't even imagine anything worse. Yuck!

I know, if they outsourced MGS to a western developer it might go down the Splinter Cell or Thief route and have stealth more complex than hiding in a box. Scary thought.
#65enigma2274Posted 1/27/2013 1:59:35 PM
Vanquish is a brilliant game. I have faith MGR will be awesome. Demo was sick.
---
Currently playing:EDF 2017, P3P, LBP Vita, Far Cry 3, Ni No Kuni, MGS4
#66PoorCountry(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 2:05:03 PM(edited)
tracazoid posted...
So it's like half of the series, which comes off as a B movie/game. Do people miss the cheesy parts in Metal Gear games or something?

Fatman who's catchphrase was pretty much, "Laugh and grow fat", Vamp, Fortune and the Cobra unit which got no characterization yet were all crazy individuals with a degree of supernatural power or just weird crap. Oh yeah and the MGS2 crotch grab,node/nerd, Johnny's family, talking about how great boxes are.

Probably missing tons yet until Metal Gear Solid 4 came out and tried to "science" everything seven years after 2 and four after 3 most people just assumed those were supernatural elements as odd as they were. Yet even 4 doesn't explain bits of MGS3 which pre-date the Patriots and have stuff like cloaking tech in 1964, the Sorrow, the Pain.

MGS3 is basically one big B movie and it's the best one.

So yeah the series has always had the B movie vibe with over the top villains, etc. Not like Kojima gave the B&B corp or Cobra Unit any characterization either. "Oh she's dead, hey Drebin tell me her life story."

A carefully phrased opinion, the nuances of which gone overlooked by a million slow and dim-witted individuals, brought up again with obvious guidelines as to how it should be read and interpreted
I hate these side characters -- they're just gimmicky buffoons. There's clearly no ambition behind this game. It isn't compelling or atmospheric, but a silly action romp. It's fun to play and Raiden looks cool. That's it. Bothered that they didn't make more out of this.

EDIT: Also, I hate the way you said, "MGS3 is basically one big B movie and it's the best one bluh buh wbdud!" Like it's obvious. "Of course," I'm supposed to say. "Heck, yeah, blah blah." I disagree, bozo, and if you continue to lord popular opinion over my head, I will spew vomit pathetically inside my own guts.