This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can You Name a Game with Terrible Gameplay and Excellent Story?

#1DagorhaPosted 1/27/2013 8:34:50 AM
I was thinking about the topic of Gameplay versus Story and something crossed my mind. I have never played a game with terrible gameplay and a good story. You see the thing of it is, the gameplay is what sets the stage for the narrative and pacing of the story. The two are interlocked completely.

The examples of Good Story Bad Gameplay often come across as misinformed. Some cite Silent Hill without realizing how different the game's narrative would be if the game play was different or more manageable.

Another is Spec Ops the Line which is cited to have mediocre gameplay. Not bad, mind you, just dull but even then that is all to power of the game's story where it lulls you into a haze of gun fights so the game can bash you over the head for not thinking during a later point.

A game with terrible gameplay ultimately hinders the game's narrative. A fast paced JRPG story can be ruined by sluggish turn-based-combat. As game's progress and developers learn how to meld gameplay and narrative closer together, the divide between good games and bad games will probably widen.

In any event, I'm curious, what game has a good story but terrible gameplay and I do mean terrible, not simply mediocre.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#2MattUK07Posted 1/27/2013 8:41:03 AM
Maybe umm something like Mass effect haha nah but story better than gameplay
---
Games looking forward to this year- The Last Of Us,God Of War Ascension, Beyond:Two Souls, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite,
#3kupo1705Posted 1/27/2013 8:43:12 AM
Planescape
#4Zantetsuken_GPosted 1/27/2013 8:50:16 AM
Mass Effect games. Mainly for being a hybrid genre, is why the gameplay didn't mesh well for myself.
---
"Men in battle, do not need women. My love is my Sword!" - The Almighty Dekar from Lufia II
#5PururutPosted 1/27/2013 8:54:12 AM
Pokemon
#6Dagorha(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 8:59:33 AM
Zantetsuken_G posted...
Mass Effect games. Mainly for being a hybrid genre, is why the gameplay didn't mesh well for myself.

But can you honestly say it's terrible? The shooting was more the functional and the leveling up aspect usually made killing things a lot more satisfying. Plus, running around on some of the worlds as everything goes to hell and talking to your crew members and learning their stories is bad as well?

Pokemon

Pokemon has terrible gameplay and an excelllent story? Really?
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#7nouseravailablePosted 1/27/2013 9:22:20 AM
Many Visual Novels... and Nier.
---
NP: R&C A Crack in Time and Tales of Symphonia.
#8craelonPosted 1/27/2013 9:24:58 AM
Spec Ops: The Line

Earthbound (Mother)
---
I declare this post a VICTORY ( ^-^ )v
#9dacekidPosted 1/27/2013 9:26:20 AM
Alpha Protocol
---
Here lies the graves of gamefaq users pwn'd by dacekid. May they rest in peace: RyuuHou25
#10blakmogPosted 1/27/2013 9:26:20 AM
FFVII
---
: PSN : Blackmog : PLAYING : WoW - DIABLO III :
: Best game ever : DEMON'S SOULS (>^^)>