This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can You Name a Game with Terrible Gameplay and Excellent Story?

#61Ep1taph303Posted 1/28/2013 8:22:16 AM
qwertyMrJINX posted...
Dragon Age Origins, easily. The only game I've ever played in which I was genuinely upset that the cutscenes were over, and I had to actually play the damn thing.

The game play was much better on pc, it was a totally different game.
---
Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966683944/
#62deprofundis442Posted 1/28/2013 8:36:40 AM
TC is right. Story and gameplay are undeniably interconnected. Many developers will tell you that as well. What people list as exceptions aren't really. People still excuse a lot of things in video games when it comes to story, ie. unrealistic dialogue sequences, poor subtext, character motivation that doesn't fit their behavior, and the list goes on, yet they're "amazing" stories to gamers.
#63gamestop27Posted 1/28/2013 8:52:48 AM
Sounds like most Western games.
---
Evolution is not true, I've had a dog for 14 years and its still a dog no change into a cat.~William Simms
#64pakathecatPosted 1/28/2013 11:04:26 AM
Xenosaga 2
#65carib2gPosted 1/28/2013 11:15:26 AM
googler posted...
Kane and lynch...mediocre gameplay but some of the best characters in recent memory and a pretty decent story despite some potholes

+1
---
Best of 2012: Sleeping Dogs, Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3, Far Cry 3
Gamercard: http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Carib2g.png
#66ShadianVisePosted 1/28/2013 11:22:07 AM
Xenogears. Anyone who's played it knows what I'm talking about. The story is incredible, one of the best I've ever seen in any form of media. The gameplay... Eh. It felt outdated when it was released. It's the only game of its kind, at least among those I've played. However, it had several useless mechanics, grinding for deathblows was tedious (especially since they're all you use after you learn them), and ether attacks were useless until most of the way through the game. I think the encounter rate was too high as well.
---
http://www.youtube.com/ShadianVise
TLoZ: Oracle of Ages playthrough in progress.
#67ThePatrickPosted 1/28/2013 11:29:15 AM
I can think of games that have "O.K." gameplay, but fun stories and characters. I would say that of the series I really love, Ryûga gotoku / Yakuza, even.

Games with *terrible* gameplay and reportedly good stories would be like ... Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire, tho' I personally think they're a little easy to figure out and once you know the cliché twists and such, they're just not really worth playing.

I think games that are almost purely story can definitely sell and be appreciated, but I think they are not going to fare well compared to games that focus on delivering more gameplay than story. The whole "debate" is silly to me as the actual theory behind the game and how they deliver it are obviously way more important than a story or presentation, but I would also say that if you do not have good designs, a compelling tale, or interesting characters, the game will probably just be ignored in this saturated market.

So, I mean, presentation is important, still, if you want to create an "A" title. However, it's just not as important as crafting a good system and challenging people to want to keep doing the basic things of the gameplay.

At the same time, I don't think games have to all be completely new approaches to gaming theory with completely unique ideas, or anything. Those are always nice when they show up but they don't usually go to far past that gimmick. Games just need to be crafted well.
---
Ryuuga Gotoku (Yakuza) series text FAQs available at GameFAQs
PSN: hatoriki_kai, XBL: hatoriki, YouTube: ryled, Twitter: @Hatoriki, Me: Bored
#68spooonybardPosted 1/29/2013 7:29:17 PM
Xenosaga 2.
#69EvilCactusPosted 1/29/2013 7:36:23 PM
The Uncharted series is the poster boy for this. Great cutscenes, but no concept of good game design.
---
sig here
#70MegaMettaurPosted 1/29/2013 7:37:45 PM
Metal gear solid 3. I hate the game play in that game, but love the story.
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2