This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

if next gen blocked used games but halved the retail price of new games...

#21Rapham0nPosted 1/28/2013 1:46:52 AM
I don't understand. How would they even do this? How would the consoles block used games?
---
Thus did man become the architect of his own demise.
#22riddlebox89Posted 1/28/2013 2:00:33 AM
I would still refuse to buy a next gen console, lowering the price of retail games does not get them a pass if they were to block used games.

A simple thing for them to do is not block used games and stop pissing and moaning about how people are buying used games when it doesn't, hasn't, and will never hurt a damn thing.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#23king_maddenPosted 1/28/2013 2:18:40 AM
Rapham0n posted...
I don't understand. How would they even do this? How would the consoles block used games?

make you register games, and tie them to an account.

and lol @ used games never hurt anything. people here have no idea about figures, sales, how much used is sold where, and how it affects a company down the line, yet they find it so easy to claim that they "know" what affects what. they want proof that it does affect it, but dont need proof to believe it doesnt.
#24nedrithPosted 1/28/2013 2:24:15 AM
I found the one comment about blocking used game sales stopping piracy to be funny, because pirates couldn't find there way around that.........

And it would never happen, Companies are complaining about not making enough money already due to used game sales. Now you expect them to half the price because used game sales stopped. They are more likely to increase the price and claim that it's because of the increased cost of producing all those extra copies.
#25riddlebox89Posted 1/28/2013 2:32:05 AM
king_madden posted...
and lol @ used games never hurt anything. people here have no idea about figures, sales, how much used is sold where, and how it affects a company down the line, yet they find it so easy to claim that they "know" what affects what. they want proof that it does affect it, but dont need proof to believe it doesnt.

How does it affect a company along the line? It doesn't, that's how. Every copy of every retail game is paid for before it's even put on the shelf, we don't pay the publishers or the developers, we pay the retailers, the retailers pay the publishers for the games, the games are shipped, they're put on the shelf, consumers buy them.

Used games have been around since the Atari days, now if used game sales had any negative impact on the sales of any game, why is it that nobody started a fuss about it until the PS3/360 era? Over thirty years of people buying and selling used games and it's a problem now? Lol no, if it was a problem, it would've been a problem from the start, not thirty years after the fact.

You're just another one of those brain dead kids who see publishers saying "Used games are hurting us!" and automatically believe it, odds are if they said that your mother was a blind Jewish prostitute before you were born, you'd believe that as well, what evidence have they offered? None, thirty years of people buying and selling used games and we're just supposed to take their word for it when they say that it's a problem now? No. And anyone who thinks used games actually does hurt them is nothing less than a fool.

And do yourself a favor, don't bother with the "Lol you hav n0 prufe dat used gaymze dont hurt industry!" arguments, that's nothing but a copout argument that shows you have no proof of your claims that used sales does hurt the industry.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#26NicodimusPosted 1/28/2013 4:22:58 AM
if it was a problem, it would've been a problem from the start, not thirty years after the fact.

It's amazing how few people seem to understand this.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#27silly_sausagePosted 1/28/2013 4:37:30 AM
Price isn't the issue for me, it's availability. So maybe if next gen blocked used games, but made sure every game ever made for the console was always available brand new everywhere, I'd be okay with it.
---
John Lennon, 1940 - (Infinite Symbol)
PSN: naathaann
#28king_maddenPosted 1/28/2013 10:50:15 AM
riddlebox89 posted...
king_madden posted...

How does it affect a company along the line? It doesn't, that's how. Every copy of every retail game is paid for before it's even put on the shelf, we don't pay the publishers or the developers, we pay the retailers, the retailers pay the publishers for the games, the games are shipped, they're put on the shelf, consumers buy them.

Used games have been around since the Atari days, now if used game sales had any negative impact on the sales of any game, why is it that nobody started a fuss about it until the PS3/360 era? Over thirty years of people buying and selling used games and it's a problem now? Lol no, if it was a problem, it would've been a problem from the start, not thirty years after the fact.

You're just another one of those brain dead kids who see publishers saying "Used games are hurting us!" and automatically believe it, odds are if they said that your mother was a blind Jewish prostitute before you were born, you'd believe that as well, what evidence have they offered? None, thirty years of people buying and selling used games and we're just supposed to take their word for it when they say that it's a problem now? No. And anyone who thinks used games actually does hurt them is nothing less than a fool.

And do yourself a favor, don't bother with the "Lol you hav n0 prufe dat used gaymze dont hurt industry!" arguments, that's nothing but a copout argument that shows you have no proof of your claims that used sales does hurt the industry.

im sorry when did I misspell words like that? or is that some kind of elementary humor? anyway back on point, how many markets have been the same for years, but now are in trouble? you cant say "well its always been like that so why is it a problem now". nothing in this economy is the same as it was 10-20 years ago. things are getting more expensive to make, and people arent getting as much money.

lmao I also love that i cant use the "you dont have any proof argument", yet you spent your entire rant saying the same exact thing! how is it viable for you, but a cop out for anyone else? seems a bit like a hypocrite.

and yes everyone is already paid when you buy the game, but answer this, will a publisher look at the amount of games sold? if the amount is lower than what they expected couldnt that affect how much they give devs next time? or if they even want to work with them again? do used sales show up as games sold? if they tell a dev ok get 1 million sold, and we will work together on a new project you have control over. then the game sells 900,000 you can easily assume 100k plus got it used, that will affect the dev. they didnt meet their goal and that could result in lost funds or times in the future.

your problem is if someone says "hurt a dev" you automatically jump to "they already got their money", thats not even what im talking about. I dont even think thats true, because the more a game sells the more money they make, if they were already paid for it, I dont know how games would flop and bankrupt a company. if you pay me a million to sell my games and then my games dont get sold, i already have your money right? why would that bankrupt me? unless the amount sold does affect the bottom line, in which that again proves used sales could affect.
#29AngelouRozakiPosted 1/28/2013 10:57:31 AM
They better hope sell their games on their online shops, for those who can't, this will be a MAJOR DISAVANTAGE, as the stores won't make any profits off used games.
#30TomoEK9Posted 1/28/2013 10:58:37 AM
fallenswords posted...
PStrife posted...
That would never happen. Launch prices would actually be increased on purpose, as now they have your metaphorical balls gripped inside a metaphorical vice.

but the argument for that would be that since they no longer have to compete against piracy or used games because of the intrusive DRM they could afford to lower the price.

edit: not to mention most games wholesale for $30

Why would they cut back on profit? That makes ZERO sense. They have been selling games for 60, they know consumers are willing to pay 60, no reason to drop the price.