This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

if next gen blocked used games but halved the retail price of new games...

#31nihilist212Posted 1/28/2013 11:03:12 AM
If next gen blocked used games for me it's a deal breaker. On principle alone I can't support that.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#32regsantotomasPosted 1/28/2013 11:05:52 AM
fallenswords posted...
what would be your reaction.

i think i could live with that.

I would call Hell and tell the Devil to put on a jacket.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#33Stanger5150Posted 1/28/2013 11:07:42 AM
Even if the games are $10 each, I wouldn't support it.

Blocking used games guarantees it will be a temporary console with no retro market ever. That's why I have a problem with it. It isn't about money. It's about longevity. I've never stopped playing any console I've ever owned, and taking that away would make me stop at 7th gen consoles. I'm fine with that, since there are still hundreds of games I need to pick up.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Far Cry 3, Jak and Daxter, Mega Man X Collection, Yo! Noid, Batman Returns, Jaws"
#34Godly_GoofPosted 1/28/2013 11:10:39 AM
What would happen? The end of gaming because it would no longer be proffitable to make a game anymore when you get nothing from its sales as the developer that's what would happen :/

What a stupid topic :/
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#35svenbjornPosted 1/28/2013 11:16:29 AM
unless things have changed significantly since I ran a store, wholesale on games is closer to a 20% markup, not 50% as mentioned (~$30).

meaning, a store's cost per (new) game is probably $45-50 and they make their margin on the $60 price tag. margin on systems is less and periodically zero.

accessories are in the 50-70% range. used games are in the 40-90% range, newer releases having the lowest margin.

and since accessory sales are quite low on game systems, it makes sense for retailers to attempt to sell used product in favor or new. that profit buys additional product, satisfies lean margins in other areas of product, and keeps people employed.
---
PSN & XBL: svenbjorn
all our shows are secret shows.
#36Stanger5150Posted 1/28/2013 11:27:35 AM(edited)
This seems really hard for people to understand.

The initial sale between the publisher and retailer is the only one that counts! When a business posts sales numbers, they are posting the number of items sold and shipped to retailers.

I huge amount of success publishers enjoy, is due to places like GameStop buying their s*** in bulk.

Put GameStop out of business (just hypothetical), sales decrease dramatically and in the end, gaming dies.

So basically, if Call of Duty sells 5 million copies, that does not mean 5 million people are playing the game. It only means retailers collectively bought 5 million copies in anticipation for huge sales.

---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Far Cry 3, Jak and Daxter, Mega Man X Collection, Yo! Noid, Batman Returns, Jaws"
#37king_maddenPosted 1/28/2013 2:49:46 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
This seems really hard for people to understand.

The initial sale between the publisher and retailer is the only one that counts! When a business posts sales numbers, they are posting the number of items sold and shipped to retailers.

I huge amount of success publishers enjoy, is due to places like GameStop buying their s*** in bulk.

Put GameStop out of business (just hypothetical), sales decrease dramatically and in the end, gaming dies.

So basically, if Call of Duty sells 5 million copies, that does not mean 5 million people are playing the game. It only means retailers collectively bought 5 million copies in anticipation for huge sales.

more games arent sold to the retailer if enough new arent being sold. all im saying is used games take away from those sales figures which can affect them in the future. if your goal is 10, but you only sell 7 and 3 used its going to show up as 7 sold and means you failed your goal. which can affect how much funding goes into your next game from the publisher

i know riddlebox since im aware used games can affect companies it means im a brainwashed child. sorry to tell you im a 30 year old man with a family that buys more used than new. im aware im not helping them, but gaming is just a hobby for me if it ended tmw i would be fine. im more concerned with wasted money. something i never understood, people like to say buy new and support the small dev team that created the niche title. then turn around and say buying used doesnt affect them. buying new affects them but buying used doesnt
#38Jon_GodPosted 1/28/2013 4:02:36 PM
fallenswords posted...
edit: not to mention most games wholesale for $30

Actually no, I work in retail, and most games cost the retail outlets around $51. That's also the reason that pretty much everywhere doesn't take returns on opened new games.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/