This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have noticed alot of cussing and profanity in RECENT games

#101DocDeliciousPosted 1/27/2013 8:09:56 PM
SilentHawk29 posted...
Yes but I'm talking about the relevancy of sex in-game. I don't see how it could fit the Witcher game world... well, just my toughts.

Games with more of a "sexual environment" often exclude most of the strong sexual content (Saints Row or GTA)... I mean, The Witcher.... Gta...

How are "women of the night" out of place in that game world? They were commonplace in actual medieval history. Even TV shows and movies in a medieval era of sorts use a lot of sexuality. Even that old '80s "Excalibur" movie had nudity in it, same with the show Camelot that was a recent Starz series. Then there's Game of Thrones and Spartacus, both (especially Spartacus) have a ton of nudity in it.

You're just thinking in a "this is now" standard and are likening how life is now to what you think it should have been.

Exactly.

The same is true of modern games. Our day-to-day interactions are filled with "curse words". Why would a game uneccesarily censor itself? See, IMO, it sounds much more akward when a script writer goes out of their way to try not to use swear words.
Example: Ni No Kuni - Mr. Drippy says "flippin" in every other sentence and it just sounds so akward and out of place. It would be less noticeable if he just said f***in.
---
Ni No Kuni, Vanquish, DmC, Sound Shapes, Disgaea 4, Valkyria Chronicles, Need For Speed: MW 2012, Far Cry 3, Monster Hunter FU
PSN: DocDelicious
#102SilentHawk29Posted 1/27/2013 8:13:26 PM
Yawn. Please direct all your upset feelings to my future speech writer. Kthxbye

Continue proving my point that you have none, plz.
---
PSN - Srikar || WKC2 - Jinto
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#103ArthasRebornPosted 1/27/2013 8:25:30 PM
The only time profanity starts to bother me is when it's used excessively like in Bulletstorm.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/arthasreborn http://i49.tinypic.com/32znxno.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/4rrggy.jpg http://i46.tinypic.com/af7sdj.jpg
#104Jx1010(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 8:25:58 PM
DocDelicious posted...
The same is true of modern games. Our day-to-day interactions are filled with "curse words". Why would a game uneccesarily censor itself? See, IMO, it sounds much more akward when a script writer goes out of their way to try not to use swear words.
Example: Ni No Kuni - Mr. Drippy says "flippin" in every other sentence and it just sounds so akward and out of place. It would be less noticeable if he just said f***in.

My day to day interactions are not filled with curse words
neither are the ones I interact with or the people I work with
or the girls I sleep with

so ur point has no logic
#105Psychofang12001Posted 1/27/2013 8:30:27 PM
It fits we swear a lot all the time if not more. It's a good approach for a certain type of person. Nice people may finish last but doesn't mean they can't swear every now and then as well so its ok
---
Protocol 10 will commence whenever I feel like it
#106DocDeliciousPosted 1/27/2013 8:37:14 PM
Jx1010 posted...
DocDelicious posted...

so ur point has no logic

Exactly lol. Thank you.

This is a pointless, circular argument. Your life experience is different from my own. I'd be willing to bet that not everyone in medieval times slept with whores so, for some, it would seem out of place. Just as, in the modern day, most people swear (or hear others swearing) quite a bit so it seems perfectly natural when it shows up in games/movies.
If you don't like some of the content in the games you're playing; play different games.
---
Ni No Kuni, Vanquish, DmC, Sound Shapes, Disgaea 4, Valkyria Chronicles, Need For Speed: MW 2012, Far Cry 3, Monster Hunter FU
PSN: DocDelicious
#107CathickleSquallPosted 1/27/2013 8:38:22 PM
blackcry77 posted...
I for one don't care about the cussing in a video game. That's just nitpicking too much.

That. Although I love to swear. It's just so great.
---
Uh. Random signature?
#108spectermaster14Posted 1/27/2013 8:44:50 PM
I wish I was self righteous enough to look down on others because I don't use certain words.
#109squidgy617Posted 1/27/2013 8:45:37 PM
Cursing in anything should be used only when it fits the character, situation, etc.

I'm an aspiring writer, and when I first started writing I didn't have ANY characters swearing. Not a single one. This, of course, is because I myself don't curse, so it doesn't come naturally to me.

However, as I wrote, I began to find more and more situations, with specific characters, where making them curse seemed appropriate.

For instance, although I'm not going to have the main teenage boy curse, the ex-soldier might swear when it seems appropriate (for instance, when he is angry). On the other hand, the escaped prisoner might swear a whole lot more than the ex-soldier.

I haven't really noticed a problem with characters in games swearing when it didn't seem to fit the situation and the character. However, I have noticed that games are becoming more lax with just how bad the swearing can be. For instance, before I played AC3, I don't think I ever heard someone drop the F-bomb in a game.
#110NightDrifter05Posted 1/27/2013 8:46:27 PM
Jx1010 posted...
DocDelicious posted...

so ur point has no logic

Go to your local video game store, wal mart, mall, or local high school sporting event and listen to a conversation. The target audience for game's use profanity non-stop. Just because you and your friend's don't do it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't. Going by your logic, just because me and my friend's don't smoke then nobody else in the world does. See how that works?

To the people saying they have kid's around when playing these game's, first off why are you allowing your child to watch you play a mature game? Do the thing any good parent would do and only play when they aren't around. If you don't want to do that then take the initiative and use it to explain to your child what those words are, why those words aren't appropriate, and why they shouldn't use them. Chance's are even the youngest of kid's hear cursing all day long so you need to be the parent that exposes them and explains why it's not something they can use.