This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have noticed alot of cussing and profanity in RECENT games

#61Dirk_McHardpeckPosted 1/27/2013 6:46:01 PM
SilentHawk29 posted...
That video games are not meant to be a representation of real life. So using real life as a defense for why there is swearing in video games doesn't hold water.

Yet they use things in real life, regardless on whether or not it's a representation of it, same with movies. Your argument is completely silly. Why are there guns in games? Why are there humans in games? Why are there languages that we understand in games? Why are emotions people can relate to in games? Get the point?

Because games include human beings and guns then swearing is a necessity? Of the two of us here I don't think I'm the one at risk of not getting the point.
#62jon davisPosted 1/27/2013 6:49:15 PM
User Name Dirk_McHardpeck
User ID 6702816
Board User Level 20: New User (2)
Awarded to users with at least 20 Karma. Can create 10 topics, 75 messages per day. Can now mark messages for moderation and view own posting history.
Account Created Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:23 PM
Last Visit Monday, January 28, 2013 1:47 AM
Karma 39
Active Messages Posted 50

Balls, i engaged with a troll.
---
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.
#63NuuTypePosted 1/27/2013 6:50:25 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
Zero Dark Thirty had a lot of profanity and it didn't feel immature or obnoxious.

It just depends how you use them.

This is how I felt about cussing in Prototype 2. It fit the setting of the game snugly.

DmC on the otherhand? *lonnnngface* And my entire family cusses like sailors, but not for no reason.
---
Probability of mission hiderance..zero percent
#64Dirk_McHardpeckPosted 1/27/2013 6:51:18 PM
kingrat2314 posted...

Your defense for why there shouldn't be swearing in video games doesn't hold water either.

LOL! Let me stop you right there because that's not what I said.
#65killakPosted 1/27/2013 6:51:30 PM
I'd like to know what version of DmC you guys have been playing, because he seriously doesn't swear anywhere near often.
---
LoL... DSP did his funniest moments of 2012 set.... except they're all about his own content.
#66Dirk_McHardpeckPosted 1/27/2013 6:52:38 PM
jon davis posted...
User Name Dirk_McHardpeck
User ID 6702816
Board User Level 20: New User (2)
Awarded to users with at least 20 Karma. Can create 10 topics, 75 messages per day. Can now mark messages for moderation and view own posting history.
Account Created Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:23 PM
Last Visit Monday, January 28, 2013 1:47 AM
Karma 39
Active Messages Posted 50

Balls, i engaged with a troll.

ITT we learn that any new poster who disagrees with your point of view is a troll. Got it.
#67killakPosted 1/27/2013 6:55:10 PM
ITT we learn that any new poster who disagrees with your point of view is a troll. Got it.

Don't you remember, when we signed up, it was to troll.

That's why a new user is a troll.

New User = troll = cop out.
---
..you're supposed to put spoilers when you talk about the color of the sky. some people haven't seen it yet. - llaW_Enots
#68Grizzle1981Posted 1/27/2013 6:56:08 PM
Thinking back on Batman: Arkham City ... I don't know where there is profanity in the game. There is language in the game that is offensive but not what I describe as profanity. The boards here probably prohibit my posting of said words so I wont say them specifically. The words I will mention are ones that used to silence a room when uttered but can now be found on WB/ABC/FOX television programming. One word is a female dog ... and it's used in the game to refer to Catwoman most oftenly. That word is so main stream that it's even played in songs on the radio without edit. "B" word. There used to be a day where "suck" as in "this show sucks" was seen as obscenely vulgar. Now it's on the Disney Channel.

I think what the TC is referring to is the evolution of vulgarity and how modern society does not find words of the past to be as insulting as they used to be. The 7 dirty words don't even hold their impact any more (most of them) despite still be heavy hitters. As far as I can tell there are 2 dirty words ... one towards women and one towards an ethinicity (embraced yet hated).

Everything else is just Irish to me. lol
---
This post is 100% opinion unless stated otherwise.
#69Dirk_McHardpeckPosted 1/27/2013 7:00:10 PM
killak posted...

Don't you remember, when we signed up, it was to troll.

That's why a new user is a troll.

New User = troll = cop out.

Good to know, thanks. ;)
#70SilentHawk29Posted 1/27/2013 7:13:58 PM
Because games include human beings and guns then swearing is a necessity? Of the two of us here I don't think I'm the one at risk of not getting the point.

You're not making a point though. You're just saying, "games should have all of these things but not swearing because I said so."
---
PSN - Srikar || WKC2 - Jinto
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg