The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dead Space 3 producer- we need to appeal to action fans who play phone games

#1TheGrumpyCatPosted 1/27/2013 7:24:37 PM
http://www.fmvmagazine.com/?p=14916

Forthcoming horror sequel Dead Space 3 has been the focus of various controversies in recent months: from concerns over changes that appear to make it more of a standard third-person shooter, to last week’s revelations that the game uses micro-transactions as part of its weapon crafting system.

And this weekend, in an interview with CVG, producer John Calhoun appears to have only added fuel to the fire by suggesting that the use of micro-transactions is actually part of a strategy to attract the ‘smartphone generation’ to the game.
“We need to make sure we’re expanding our audience,” he said. “There are action game fans, and survival horror game fans, who are 19 and 20, and they’ve only played games on their smartphones, and micro-transactions are to them a standard part of gaming. It’s a different generation. So if we’re going to bring those people into our world, let’s speak their language, but let’s not alienate our fans at the same time.”
Of course, some are suggesting that alienating their fans is exactly what EA are doing through tactics such as these – with even Dead Space 3′s box art coming under attack this week for being “generic” and “mass market”.
Nonetheless, the game is predicted to be a monster hit when it hits stores in two weeks’ time.

smh. no DS fan should buy this.
---
I had fun once, it was horrible.
#2MourningReignsPosted 1/27/2013 7:26:41 PM
I'm still buying it.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#3abdouPosted 1/27/2013 7:27:20 PM
when will devs understand that drastically changing a game will only lead to disappointing sales? RE6 , DmC and now DS3...
---
#4bigdeezPosted 1/27/2013 7:29:47 PM(edited)
wtf? Why do game company's feel that there game should appeal to every type of gamer?
There are people who play phone games.
There are people who play console games
There are people who play pc games

KEEP THEM >>>>ING SEPARATE.

survival horror game fans, who are 19 and 20 --- wtf?

---
R* is amazing!!!
#5wstfldPosted 1/27/2013 7:28:38 PM
smh. no DS fan should buy this.

Well, since there is no other DS, I'm probably going to buy it.
---
Last Played: Civ 5 G&K (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civ 5, DmC, SOTC HD
#6idrc82Posted 1/27/2013 7:37:12 PM
And thats why im not paying full retail for it. Sure i wanna play it. Rental or $20 whatever comes first. If they had stuck to their guns and not gone all re6 then probably woulda been day 1 for me. Thats whats it all about nowadays unfortunately... MASS appeal.
---
3ds fc: 0817-4077-5176
Psn/wii u id: xGambloRx
#7SCCAN85Posted 1/27/2013 8:00:26 PM
one answer, $ and a lot of companies this gen are losing out on it big time. more people play stupid games on their phones and it's taking a toll on the videogame business.

I hate that they are catering to the phone people, who imo aren't really traditional gamers to begin with
---
PSN: Canqb5
Currently Playing:SSF4, DJ Hero, GTA4, WKC, Buzz Quiz World & a bunch more
#8SCCAN85Posted 1/27/2013 8:00:26 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9FungumPosted 1/27/2013 8:02:58 PM
SCCAN85 posted...
one answer, $ and a lot of companies this gen are losing out on it big time. more people play stupid games on their phones and it's taking a toll on the videogame business.

I hate that they are catering to the phone people, who imo aren't really traditional gamers to begin with

They're not.

Just because you play games on a smartphone doesn't make you a gamer.
Just because you play Wii Sports on your Wii doesn't make you a gamer.

I'm not buying DS3 until it has a steep price cut. I'm not paying a company and basically authenticating this type of bull ****. Leave smart phone morons to their stupid angry birds type garbage.
#10TheCyborgNinjaPosted 1/27/2013 8:03:58 PM
"Let's alienate fans of the series in an attempt to pull in the guys who will ignore it for CoD."
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo