This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dead Space 3 producer- we need to appeal to action fans who play phone games

#31beastwarkingPosted 1/27/2013 11:04:01 PM
I really don't understand how this is going to attract the iPhone demographic. From my understanding the appeal of iPhone gaming is the fact that you can pick it up and play anywhere without being tied down to one spot. The other appeal is that a great number of games are less than $15, not $60 MSRP

Secondly, why are they doing this for the THIRD (technically 4th) entry into the series? The vast majority of people who are buying this game at or near launch are going to be people who played earlier entries in the series. The rest will be those who like the push towards a more action oriented game with a horror atmosphere.

The whole BS spiel about them catering to iOS gamers is a bunch of crap. It's just an excuse to justify why they are putting in micro-transactions
---
ba-weep-gra-na-weep-ninny-bong
Hail to the king, baby
#32rockyoumonkeysPosted 1/28/2013 9:46:27 AM
kingrat2314 posted...
I'm a DS fan and I have it preordered. Microtransactions aren't going to affect me because I'm too smart to buy with real money what I can already get in the game just by playing. If they want to sucker some saps, I say go for it.

But it's not simply a matter of that stuff already being in the game...the point of microtransactions (at least in free mobile games) is that, while the stuff is in the game, it's prohibitively tedious and time-intensive to get.

So yeah, you'll be able to get this stuff in DS3, but if it's as tedious to do as it is in most of these mobile games, people will be lining up to just give them a buck or two and cut the waiting period. That's why these things work.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#33secondhand1Posted 1/28/2013 9:58:31 AM
Fungum posted...
SCCAN85 posted...
one answer, $ and a lot of companies this gen are losing out on it big time. more people play stupid games on their phones and it's taking a toll on the videogame business.

I hate that they are catering to the phone people, who imo aren't really traditional gamers to begin with

They're not.

Just because you play games on a smartphone doesn't make you a gamer.
Just because you play Wii Sports on your Wii doesn't make you a gamer.

I'm not buying DS3 until it has a steep price cut. I'm not paying a company and basically authenticating this type of bull ****. Leave smart phone morons to their stupid angry birds type garbage.

Does pissing and moaning about abstract definitions on the internet make you a gamer? Does crying about the direction a franchise takes because it doesn't jibe with your, "vision" make you a gamer? Does lambasting publishers and developers for the work they do because it's not how you would do it if you had the knowledge or drive to do it make you a gamer?

Cause if so, you're gaming in spades, my friend.
---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.
#34EricCraptonPosted 1/28/2013 10:06:22 AM
4dfmaEF posted...
Seifer_us posted...
Show me a developer who makes the kind of games they themselves want to play, and I'll show you satisfied customers. It's the same as a good director making a film based on what the audience wants rather than sticking to his / her own vision. You can't make quality products like that.

The only one that succeeds at this is Quentin Tarantino

Thats absolutely not true at all. Tarantino is hardly the only one.
---
Terrible, take a lap.
#35656stoogePosted 1/28/2013 10:12:49 AM
EricCrapton posted...
4dfmaEF posted...
Seifer_us posted...
Show me a developer who makes the kind of games they themselves want to play, and I'll show you satisfied customers. It's the same as a good director making a film based on what the audience wants rather than sticking to his / her own vision. You can't make quality products like that.

Yep, director's like Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson make what they like and have been pretty successful.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#36-Crazy_Dude-Posted 1/28/2013 10:21:25 AM
Game devs need to realise they can't please everyone. I get their thinking, DS 1 and 2 were hits, lets try and wrangle more people to play it but changing it to cater to them but also keep the loyal fans from the first games.

...of course this doesn't work. If they want to attract action fans make an action orientated third person shooter that goes the whole hog. They did this with resident evil 4, when first making it they realised it was too actiony so they took the RE logo off of it and called it devil may cry, and we all know how that went.

If they try to cater to everyone all they'll get is sub par games at that achieve any greatness in any of it's mechanics. I love chinese food and chocolate but wacking them together doesn't make a fantastic meal it makes something worse than both separately.

Of course this is a general term as apparently the environment is still dead spacey and the human enemies are few and far between. So lets try to reserve judgement til the games out.
#37pixel378Posted 1/28/2013 10:39:51 AM
Is this guy serious? Gamers 19-20 we're around for N64, PS1 days and are often most nostalgic about those games. I'm never buying another game again from these idiots. And this is the first Dead Space I won't buy. Hope it tanks.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#38jrr18Posted 1/28/2013 10:43:47 AM
656stooge posted...
EricCrapton posted...
4dfmaEF posted...
Seifer_us posted...

Yep, director's like Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson make what they like and have been pretty successful.

and I hear that george lucas did some good work in scifi and action movies when he used that idea before he became greedy.
---
Victory over Namco destroyer of games through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#39spectermaster14Posted 1/28/2013 11:18:53 AM
So people do know that quote is entirely out of context and refers only to the microtransactions, right? Because the title is sensationalist nonsense.
#40zender1999Posted 1/28/2013 11:25:44 AM
not buyng this game, not supporting this company or this kind of games and vusiness, not good for future of videogamea, they must fail for the good of the future of our favorite hobby