This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Time for a new hard drive?

#1_Deadeye_CM_Posted 1/27/2013 10:12:01 PM
So I got a Slim PS3 three months ago(it was used, got it in a trade), and when I first started playing a disc game, the drive sounded bad. It does this every time I turn on the PS3, and it does it often while I'm playing disc games. I've had a couple of hard freezes, with Skyrim and Black Ops 2. However, it's always been able to read discs, and both of those games have known issues with freezing. I have assumed that the Slim just sounds different than the older PS3s, due to other people describing the same sounds with PS3s they've had for years.

Aside from that issue, I get the constant buffer lag on YouTube videos. The lag corresponds with the hard drive light's blinking, and it happens on most videos I watch. Netflix streams HD well, Amazon Prime works well, and games run smoothly. I know the issue is exclusive to YouTube, and after some research, I found out that many Slim PS3 users have the same issue, while others don't.

I get freezes and lag with digital games as well, ranging from as old as GTA: San Andreas, all of the way to Tokyo Jungle. I haven't had any hard freezes with digital games, but again, I do get freezing issues.

My PS3 stays clean. I put compressed air(from an air compressor, not a can) through it often, and it never has noticeable dust on any of the vents, including the hard drive. So I know the issue isn't random overheating. But, I also don't know that the issue isn't as serious as the motherboard either. I don't know what to do here, but the hard drive seems like the best thing to replace first, since it's the cheapest, and can also alternate as a laptop hard drive if it doesn't fix any of my issues.

I know I mentioned the disc loading issue, and I don't think it's related to the other hard drive issues, but I added it just in case the issue could be caused by my hard drive. The most important thing to me is fixing YouTube. I love the convenience of having a YouTube app that's watchable on my TV, and it kills me that I have to resort to a phone or laptop whenever I want to check something out.

tl;dr: My PS3 has what I think are HDD issues, and I need to know if I should get a new hard drive, or if the issue is more serious.
---
---
PSN: MisterDeadeye
#2_Deadeye_CM_(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 11:10:49 PM
Bump for fast moving board.
---
---
#34dfmaEFPosted 1/27/2013 11:16:12 PM
I think your issues, if not network related, can be fixed with the recovery menu instead of a new drive:
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/How-to-access-the-PlayStation-3-Recovery-Menu/td-p/19195118
---
Love sometimes kills and sometimes revives.
I need a revive.
#4beebarbPosted 1/27/2013 11:19:38 PM
Replacing the hard drive would be a very good idea, especially if it is a used system that still has the old hard drive from the prior owner in it.

It's hard to tell with used systems whether the previous owner actually maintained them properly.

I personally run the safe mode options "Restore File System" and "Rebuild Database" on a regular basis, though am yet to start a cleaning routine.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#5_Deadeye_CM_(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 10:46:00 PM
I have a small update and bump. I restored the file system(which was apparently corrupt; not surprising, as I have had more than a few crashes lately). I also rebuilt the database.

I watched two or three videos on YouTube, with only slight issues. Since then, it's been the same as always. The video is downloaded well beyond what I'm watching, but the hard drive light is almost constantly flashing and the video/audio is stop-go-stop-go. I can pause the video, and it will play for a few seconds before the hard drive light starts flashing and the video lags.

So, what's next? Should I do a full OS restore? If I do that, do I still have access to all of my downloaded stuff? By that, I mean I have two PS3s, and share my downloads with both. Will an OS restore give me a new console ID, making me go through deactivation/activation?
---
---
#6beebarbPosted 1/29/2013 11:10:53 PM
At this point it would be best to deactivate the PS3 and put in a new hard drive, seeing as the maintenance functions didn't work.

All a system restore does is format the hard drive. Which won't help in this case. The replacement hard disk should be a laptop hard disk with a height of no more than 9.5", that connects via SATA.

Best to go for a 500GB disk at most, as a lot of higher capacity disks exceed the height limit.

You will need a USB flash drive with the latest PS3 system update on it as well.
---
#74dfmaEFPosted 1/30/2013 12:06:54 AM(edited)
I'd still check if it's not your network perhaps. If you use wireless, plug in the cable, if you have a friend (hopefully) move your PS3 to his place, etc.

If there's an improvement it's your network, if not it's the PS3.

EDIT: Nah nevermind, I only read half of what you wrote.
---
Love sometimes kills and sometimes revives.
I need a revive.
#8_Deadeye_CM_(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 1:55:50 AM
beebarb posted...
At this point it would be best to deactivate the PS3 and put in a new hard drive, seeing as the maintenance functions didn't work.

All a system restore does is format the hard drive. Which won't help in this case. The replacement hard disk should be a laptop hard disk with a height of no more than 9.5", that connects via SATA.

Best to go for a 500GB disk at most, as a lot of higher capacity disks exceed the height limit.

You will need a USB flash drive with the latest PS3 system update on it as well.

9.5"? Wow, sounds pretty dangerous. Do you know the angle my PS3 would be with a hard drive that thick?! Yeah, I know that was a typo. 9.5mm height, 2.5" laptop HDD.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. If the new hard drive fixes the PS3, I'll definitely send you a PM with thanks.
---
---
#9beebarbPosted 1/30/2013 2:30:59 AM
_Deadeye_CM_ posted...
9.5"? Wow, sounds pretty dangerous. Do you know the angle my PS3 would be with a hard drive that thick?! Yeah, I know that was a typo. 9.5mm height, 2.5" laptop HDD.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. If the new hard drive fixes the PS3, I'll definitely send you a PM with thanks.
---

I hope it works out for you. Now that typo seems quite hilarious, especially considering had I realised I had made the error sooner, I could have corrected it with an edit.
---