This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are JRPG's

#1PurificationPosted 1/28/2013 12:08:45 AM
I'm going to argue that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls aren't JRPG because of where they were made, like most people that try to defend them, but because of how they are presented. The main reason people claim they aren't JRPG is because of their gameplay but I think their gameplay IS the reason why they are JRPG.

Firstly, the story presentation. The story is given to the player in a minimalist approach where the player has to piece together the story from items and minor pieces of dialogue. This is exactly a how the SMT series (which are JRPG) do things, they leave the story to the player and allow him/her to have his/her own interpretation of what happened and what's going on.

Next, the design...most of the bosses in both games are not anything I would see in WRPG's. I mean, look at Ornstein and Smough. They look very similar to SMT demon designs. And, most of the other bosses (ex. Four Kings, Fool's Idol) are bosses I would expect to see in the FF series. A lot of the armor and boss designs are quite outrageous looking and what I would see in JRPG's like FF.

Next, the music. Alright, Demon's Souls has music that's more WRPG'ish but there's quite a few themes, like Astraea's theme and Fool's Idol theme that sound as if they were taken right out of JRPG's. Dark Souls, especially the Ornstein/Smough theme, and the final boss theme....sound quite similar to the compositions by Shoji Meguro.

You could also argue that the action gameplay is WRPG but there are many JRPG games that also use an action approach, like the Tales series. Especially the stat building....in most WRPG's I've played, the stat building rarely grips me like it does in some of the JRPG's I've played. The character building in the souls games is quite reminiscent of older JRPG's from previous generations (ex. SNES).

Finally, my last argument for why Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are JRPG's is because I finished them. Now before some flames me on this, let me explain. I like WRPG's and JRPG's but for the most part, I have never finished a WRPG. I've played ALOT of WRPG's (ranging from older titles like Fallout and Baldur's Gate, to recent games like Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc). Even if I get hooked onto them for some time, I have never made it to the end of a WRPG. In contrast, I finish almost 90% of all JRPG I play.

When I first played Demon's Souls, I was looking for a new WRPG to play and one of my friends recommended me it.....so I played it, and after I beat the Phalanx, the first thing I noticed was how it didn't feel like a WRPG to me...so I looked up the developer and lo and behold, it was a Japanese company. I've never finished a WRPG before, so if these are WRPG's...then I guess Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are the greatest WRPG ever, since they're the only ones I've managed to finish.
---
The Judge, Jury, and Executioner
#2agrissaPosted 1/28/2013 12:12:27 AM
Not this again.
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:2~ ~ Number of fans:7~
#3Ninja4HPosted 1/28/2013 12:12:56 AM
agrissa posted...
Not this again.

---
"Riding the Lightning"
PSN - VoodooPimp138 {-} MGO - thelastninja
#4copycat2008Posted 1/28/2013 12:13:39 AM
if they are made by japanese then its jrpg
if its a shooting game made by japanese then its a JFPS

end of discussion
#5leopoldsharkPosted 1/28/2013 12:21:53 AM
I'm not arguing that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls aren't JRPGs, but that defining a genre from what region it was made is stupid. If you break down the category of RPG by the type of combat, Dark Souls has more in common with many "western" RPGs which are action RPGs and have dynamic combat. Most "JRPGs" would be tactical RPGs which use turn-based combat and focus on party over controlling just the individual.
#6HeiedonoPosted 1/28/2013 12:23:49 AM
copycat2008 posted...

end of discussion

I like this guy
---
"If the worst comes to the worst, you can always try summoning nipples and glue. Probably vulgar though :("
PB FC:1549-9392-8987
#7Ben_ShinobiPosted 1/28/2013 12:29:51 AM
I don't understand why people keep trying to force games into one genre or another like this. These categories are completely arbitrary, and some games will never be completely described by a single classification. There's no reason not to allow some flexibility.
---
PSN/NNID: TheSilentShinobi
#8Reinsol70Posted 1/28/2013 12:38:01 AM
Heiedono posted...
copycat2008 posted...

end of discussion

I like this guy

Agreed ^_^
#9Camiguin99Posted 1/28/2013 12:40:43 AM
leopoldshark posted...
I'm not arguing that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls aren't JRPGs, but that defining a genre from what region it was made is stupid. If you break down the category of RPG by the type of combat, Dark Souls has more in common with many "western" RPGs which are action RPGs and have dynamic combat. Most "JRPGs" would be tactical RPGs which use turn-based combat and focus on party over controlling just the individual.

you just want them to say that it came from western ideas and that japan should praise us.
maybe western games making "ninja" should praise japan then.. ..
come on any country should be able to make any type of games, if the game came from russia and they used RPG style then so be it, your creating barriers just to get a honorable mention? come on give japan some praise they made a lot of great games and plus sony gives free online gaming.

praise the sun
by: sunbro
---
moew mix
#10Seifer_usPosted 1/28/2013 12:42:59 AM
We should never have started using the term "Role Playing Game". If the definition was going to become as broad and all encompassing as it has. We should have just called them "Statistically Managed Adventure Games" so it could be a subheading of "Adventure" and then we wouldn't have this stupid argument.

As a side note, SMAG is a pretty great acronym, don't you think?
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji