This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The senator's right about gamers having little say in gaming violence

#1FenriswolfPosted 1/27/2013 11:26:28 PM
Not that he's any better being a career politician with a pet cause, but most of the gamers who defends it resort to either personal anecdotes or deflection tactics about other industries. I've even seen someone at this very board serious claiming that Hitler played no video games and killed people, thus it makes him playing violent games alright.

Just look at the top played videogames such as CoD and LoL, and there's no shortage of aggressive trash talk designed to bring out the competition. While these games aren't indicative of the gaming community as a whole, it is equally ridiculous to pretend that videogames causes no aggression, addiction and other social problems whatsoever.
---
Hello
#2Jx1010Posted 1/27/2013 11:29:00 PM
Facts:

- Politicians are liars
- Call of Duty is overrated
- Violence in video games is as bad as in movies and tv shows
- Anti depressants are completely ignored when looking into violent acts
#3SophisticationPosted 1/27/2013 11:31:37 PM
So...? Who the hell are you to tell me or anyone else what we ourselves find tolerable? I don't give a damn about COD, but I damn sure won't sit here and tell anyone else they can't or shouldn't enjoy it on the pretense that it promotes "trash" talking or "aggressive" moments of behavior.

Gamer rage is old and it's well documented... It last maybe 2 to 5 seconds, at most. It doesn't last all day long and it certainly doesn't get inside your head and make you want to shoot up children in a school.

The Government is to blame for all of that with all the heavy metals and vaccines they give everyone. All the pills they shove into people's throats to keep the pharmaceutical companies booming... The government has more responsibility here than anyone, yet we pay those idiots to tell us what to do and to tell us that it's our fault when something goes wrong.

I'm sick of all the scapegoating America does... It's beyond time to stop pandering -- If I lived in America full time I'd have more of a voice, but since I'm not a citezen I cannot speak out in absolutes.
---
It takes a true sophistocrat, like myself, to bring about total change to gamefaqs--you all love my judicious topics & the debate I bring.
PSN:sophistocrat
#4Draconas_LyrrPosted 1/27/2013 11:31:55 PM
If a video game causes a person to be violent, they had issues to begin with.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
I'll never look at an apple the same way again..
#5jubjub360Posted 1/27/2013 11:32:07 PM
Fenriswolf posted...
Not that he's any better being a career politician with a pet cause, but most of the gamers who defends it resort to either personal anecdotes or deflection tactics about other industries. I've even seen someone at this very board serious claiming that Hitler played no video games and killed people, thus it makes him playing violent games alright.

Just look at the top played videogames such as CoD and LoL, and there's no shortage of aggressive trash talk designed to bring out the competition. While these games aren't indicative of the gaming community as a whole, it is equally ridiculous to pretend that videogames causes no aggression, addiction and other social problems whatsoever.

A. Most politicians have a motive for their stupidity.
B. Most personal anecdotes can be put towards other people as well.
C. Hitler never played video games. What caused him to order genocide?
D. Just video games? What about sports fans? That s***'s more aggressive than gaming.
E. Aggression is human nature. Addiction is when someone feels that he/she *needs* (this is important) it to maintain themselves in the day (By the way, addiction is a mental problem). Social problems are psychological.
---
I am the TRUE Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:2~ ~ Number of fans:10~
#6beebarbPosted 1/27/2013 11:38:43 PM
TC, I agree with what you are saying, at least in part. In cases where games trigger some sort of violence and/or aggression there is usually an underlying unresolved psychological issue.

The biggest solution is education, gamers, the gaming industry and parents all need to take a part in educating children from a young age that games are merely a form of entertainment, and can actually be an outlet for violent or aggressive thoughts.

One thing seldom taken into account with things like this, are the people on medications they don't need to be on, with potentially psychologically damaging side effects (granted not everyone gets those side effects). Often it's something like that which is the real cause.

But, it's human nature to look at the surface trigger and assume it is the root cause, until sufficient evidence proves otherwise.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#7PoorCountryPosted 1/27/2013 11:51:59 PM
Fenriswolf posted...

The example you gave -- trash talk -- is an instance of human interaction, via games, being the cause of aggression. If you just cite every instance of aggression as evidence that X "causes aggression", where do you draw the line? That's obviously crap.
#8TheBuddsPosted 1/28/2013 12:59:35 AM
Fenriswolf posted...

Hmm... you want to comment on this then?

Update: Senator Yee’s chief-of-staff, Adam Keigwin, responded to our inquiry with a phone call. He wanted to note that Senator Yee’s choice of words wasn't the best: “It wasn’t the most artful thing he ever said.” He also said that, although the Senator was quoted accurately, his statement was in the context of the gaming industry; the quote “was not directed at individual gamers.”

His chief-of-staff noted that he himself is a gamer, as well as other staffers in the Senator’s office, and even the Senator’s children.

In short, Yee feels that the gaming industry doesn’t have credibility, but rather a “vested interest” in continuing the status quo, as “violent games are successful.” As such, “their position isn’t relevant in this debate.” Rather, the Senator wants to know “what’s the science?” behind any correlation between violent games and violent acts.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/25/elected-officials-continue-to-blame-games-for-violence
---
TBC on the security matter regarding the PS3 " I see what you mean now. I have zilch experience in programming. "
#9danny_S_06Posted 1/28/2013 1:02:54 AM
Draconas_Lyrr posted...
If a video game causes a person to be violent, they had issues to begin with.

Completely and utterly this.

Anyone who plays a game, then decides to go buy a gun or some other weapon and acts violently towards others is not violent gamings fault, they are just insane.
---
PSN: CaptainSellers (UK)
#10Impaired MedicPosted 1/28/2013 1:23:18 AM
Obvious troll is obvious.
---
PSN: Impaired_Medic