This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The senator's right about gamers having little say in gaming violence

#31king_maddenPosted 1/28/2013 11:52:03 AM
riddlebox89 posted...
king_madden posted...
I wouldnt say violence in games is just as bad as movies and shows. in movies and shows its someone else acting out something.

In games it's an animated character performing the acts, in movies and shows it's a real person.

If you honestly think video games are more visually violent than movies and shows, you're not right in the head.

but in a lot of games, your character isnt overly violent unless YOU want him to be. look at all the people who love playing GTA just to run around and kill people, they have the choice not to do that, but thats what they want to do. in movies the individual has no control over what happens.
#32Lefty128kPosted 1/28/2013 1:26:32 PM
theshoveller posted...
Fear the MONKEY posted...
i will agree with this list. also, i always found it funny that the commercials for antidepressants always throw in a possible INCREASE in thoughts of suicide as a side effect...

antidepressant...increase thoughts of suicide....wtf?

I actually had a drug rep come in to my office once and explain the whole reasoning behind the "risks and warnings" things you hear on those commercials. Basically, if anyone reports any problem at all while on a med to him that his company "sells," he needs to report it to the FDA. After so many reports of the same thing, regardless of if it's caused by the med or not, it gets thrown onto the "risks and warnings" part of the labels and commercials.

LOL, you believed a drug rep.
They are paid to sell drugs and will say ANYTHING to do it.

They will also say anything to deflect liability from their product.
#33pakathecatPosted 1/28/2013 1:31:32 PM
Posted this on other boards I know, and while I do not have stats or anything to prove it, would love to see a study done on something I've suspected for some time. That being, that as far as these occasional outbreaks of serious violence go, the existence of games and gaming communities may be more helpful than harmful, all other things in our culture remaining equal.

My hypothesis is that some individuals who have serious issues-- mental illnesses, extreme social awkwardness, or such (though this would only apply to a very small % of such individuals of course)-- who may have otherwise have "gone off" have refrained from doing so as they have found acceptance in and purpose from gaming and gaming communities. Games give them something to look forward to, a way to interact for those who may be otherwise completely isolated from society, a way to channel destructive tendencies and resentment towards pixels rather than it building up inside and eventually exploding. That, even if violent games have been a minor contributing factor in the actions of unstable individuals who would have probably done the same things anyways, they may have on the whole have help defuse many more such situations than we don't know about.
#34theshovellerPosted 1/28/2013 1:40:23 PM
Lefty128k posted...

Actually, compared to the other drug reps, this guy was pretty "on the level" with us. He's less "salesman" and more "what problems are you having?" The program we work in, we use whatever works regardless. It's the whole "low income, people on MA, and people who frequent the hospital and can't live on their own" subset of clientele. So him saying "use our products!" doesn't do crap for us, because we use whatever's covered and whatever our doctor prescribes for our guys.
#35dj___rollPosted 1/28/2013 2:03:43 PM
So...? Who the hell are you to tell me or anyone else what we ourselves find tolerable? I don't give a damn about COD, but I damn sure won't sit here and tell anyone else they can't or shouldn't enjoy it on the pretense that it promotes "trash" talking or "aggressive" moments of behavior.

Gamer rage is old and it's well documented... It last maybe 2 to 5 seconds, at most. It doesn't last all day long and it certainly doesn't get inside your head and make you want to shoot up children in a school.

The Government is to blame for all of that with all the heavy metals and vaccines they give everyone. All the pills they shove into people's throats to keep the pharmaceutical companies booming... The government has more responsibility here than anyone, yet we pay those idiots to tell us what to do and to tell us that it's our fault when something goes wrong.

I'm sick of all the scapegoating America does... It's beyond time to stop pandering -- If I lived in America full time I'd have more of a voice, but since I'm not a citezen I cannot speak out in absolutes.

You just used the government as your scapegoat. Hypocrisy, yay!
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#36ADHDguitarPosted 1/28/2013 2:04:43 PM
Politicians have little say in anything.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#37SophisticationPosted 1/28/2013 2:06:16 PM
dj___roll posted...
So...? Who the hell are you to tell me or anyone else what we ourselves find tolerable? I don't give a damn about COD, but I damn sure won't sit here and tell anyone else they can't or shouldn't enjoy it on the pretense that it promotes "trash" talking or "aggressive" moments of behavior.

Gamer rage is old and it's well documented... It last maybe 2 to 5 seconds, at most. It doesn't last all day long and it certainly doesn't get inside your head and make you want to shoot up children in a school.

The Government is to blame for all of that with all the heavy metals and vaccines they give everyone. All the pills they shove into people's throats to keep the pharmaceutical companies booming... The government has more responsibility here than anyone, yet we pay those idiots to tell us what to do and to tell us that it's our fault when something goes wrong.

I'm sick of all the scapegoating America does... It's beyond time to stop pandering -- If I lived in America full time I'd have more of a voice, but since I'm not a citezen I cannot speak out in absolutes.

You just used the government as your scapegoat. Hypocrisy, yay!

Can't be a scapegoat if you're the culprit. The government is certainly the culprit.
---
It takes a true sophistocrat, like myself, to bring about total change to gamefaqs--you all love my judicious topics & the debate I bring.
PSN:sophistocrat
#38Lefty128kPosted 1/28/2013 7:49:44 PM
theshoveller posted...
Lefty128k posted...

Actually, compared to the other drug reps, this guy was pretty "on the level" with us. He's less "salesman" and more "what problems are you having?" The program we work in, we use whatever works regardless. It's the whole "low income, people on MA, and people who frequent the hospital and can't live on their own" subset of clientele. So him saying "use our products!" doesn't do crap for us, because we use whatever's covered and whatever our doctor prescribes for our guys.

Classic soft sell.
#39ElBorak77Posted 1/28/2013 8:15:15 PM(edited)
the problem with gun violence is that video games are blamed and the solution they want is more guns in the hands of the" good guys". wtf?

they say... "guns aren't the problem. the problem is "bad people" using guns". except if guns weren't so easily accessible the "bad guys" couldn't use them.

solution? MAKE IT HARDER TO GET GUNS DAMN IT!!!

---
PSN El_Borak_77
#40somebody336Posted 1/28/2013 8:17:49 PM
It doesn't matter what it is. If it's competitive you can nearly always bet there will be trash talk. Though it may be more common in video games since they can safely run their mouth, I highly doubt anyone will take the time to drive all the way over to someone who insulted your mother and possibly getting your ass kicked. And if they do then it proves that the guy is slightly insane and he would of been violent over another activity later on anyway.
---
http://crabdom.cu.cc/forums/index.php
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/565290-barbarian-the-ultimate-warrior