This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games you were totally wrong about.

#1SolidKnightPosted 1/28/2013 8:08:08 PM
Let's talk about instances where we've been totally wrong about a game.

For me:
1. Demon's Souls
I didn't hear too much about the game but what I did hear was basically that it was a hard game that was designed to kill you in cheap ways. I watched some snippets of gameplay and for some reason my impression was that you started out in a castle and decended downward (probably because I watched a Boletaria snippet followed by the second part of Shrine of Storms). I thought the game was more of an action game with RPG elements as well. After I got Dark Souls (a spontaneous buy) I learned what Demon's Souls was really like. I went out and bought Demon's Souls and loved it as well.

2. Monster Hunter.
I didn't know much about Monster Hunter and didn't really bother to find much about it. A glance at it made it seem like it was just another turn-based JRPG. It was really the screenshots that made me come to that conclusion since all of the ones I saw was a guy with a sheathed great sword standing in front of a monster that was hovering a few feet away. It looked like a classic turn-based set up. I saw that, jumped to conclusions, and immediately dismissed it. After playing Dark Souls, I saw other forum members making references to Monster Hunter's combat being similar which piqued my interest in Monster Hunter. I looked at Monster Hunter again and decided to pick up Monster Hunter Tri. I'm currently playing it and I really dig it. I wish they'd have a PS3 Monster Hunter game though.

What about you?
#2agrissaPosted 1/28/2013 8:10:02 PM
FFXIII. I thought it was gonna be good.
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:2~ ~ Number of fans:7~
#3TheMcKnightMarePosted 1/28/2013 8:12:10 PM
Dead Space

Thought it looked like a bad Resident Evil clone.. My gramma got it for me on release... Now it's my absolute favorite thing to come out of this gen... I've got all the games, books, figures, etc.
---
PSN: TheMcKnightMare - Twitter: @TheMcKnightMare
#4LodeiroSnakePosted 1/28/2013 8:12:35 PM
Skyward Sword
I was totally hyped for it but it turned out a abomination for.me, worst Zelda game i played.
#5Paul NelsonPosted 1/28/2013 8:14:58 PM
LodeiroSnake posted...
Skyward Sword
I was totally hyped for it but it turned out a abomination for.me, worst Zelda game i played.

The only Zelda game I have ever played is the original gold cartridge one for NES, but I have heard that Skyward Sword is horrible. Although, I have no opinion considering I haven't played pretty much any of them.
#6arclouks_xPosted 1/28/2013 8:17:42 PM
Skyrim, heard it was goty so I thought it was good, lol it had clunky ass combat, awful boring characters,weak setting, boring story,boring useless sidequests.
---
PS3/VITA:arclouksx -Now playing:Ps all stars,NFSMW2005,Stranger's wrath,FF7,KZ3MP
http://rebelallianceclan.com/signatures/RAarclouksx.png
#7ElBorak77Posted 1/28/2013 8:17:47 PM
didn't dig the bioshock demo. got the game eventually and loved it.
---
PSN El_Borak_77
#8SolidKnight(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 8:17:59 PM
LodeiroSnake posted...
Skyward Sword

It was close to being that way for me but the details they released just a few months before the game came out killed my hype. Even so, the game still ended up being even worse than I thought.
#9beebarbPosted 1/28/2013 8:18:35 PM
Assassin's Creed
Didn't think the series was any good until I got Assassin's Creed 3 in a bundle with my newer PS3. Now I have all the PS3 games in the series (got the rest really cheap at about AUD$25 each).

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (most recent game of that title)
Thought it was going to be good, turned out to be a disaster. Oh well, it came in a bundle with my PS3.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#10Skull007o_OPosted 1/28/2013 8:23:29 PM
beebarb posted...
Assassin's Creed
Didn't think the series was any good until I got Assassin's Creed 3 in a bundle with my newer PS3. Now I have all the PS3 games in the series (got the rest really cheap at about AUD$25 each).

Quite similar to my experience... I just thought it was gonna be your typical mercenary assassin killing for honor and stuff like that, but then I saw DAT PLOT and I realized how wrong I was... I'm currently going through Revelations, and will probably wait for a price drop to go for 3