This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games you were totally wrong about.

#51Kevinroth666Posted 1/29/2013 7:30:48 AM
Dragon Age 2. I absolutely hated it at first, I gave it multiple tries and couldn't stomach it.
However, about half a year later (when the memories of origins had left my system) I treated it as a game separate from the first and REALLY enjoyed it.
#52LennyGcPosted 1/29/2013 10:09:40 AM
Megaman 9 & 10
I thought they would be amazing throwbacks to classics like Megaman 2 & 3. They ended being cheap and frustrating for the sake of being called hard. Level design was horrendous.

Fifa 13
I've being buying them for years, everytime they get better and better, but this year the AI on Legendary difficulty is one of the most cheap and infuriating things ever, I stopped playing in a month as I was having absolutely no fun. (I don't play on a lower difficulty as it gets too easy, Legendary on previous iterations was very fun and challenging, this year is just garbage).
---
.:PSN: LennyGC:. // Platinum trophies: 23
Games I'm playing: Dragon's Dogma.
#53theshovellerPosted 1/29/2013 10:14:07 AM
Skyward Sword
I figured it might have been hampered by the motion controls, but I found them to be worse than I had imagined, and just kind of stopped playing shortly into the game.

Tera
Thought it might have been worth it, ended up hating it.

Final Fantasy 14
Thought it'd be a cheap time-waster, ended up liking it more than I thought I would. Hope the redesign doesn't change that opinion much.
#54RafedxPosted 1/29/2013 10:19:43 AM
Far Cry 3, People kept saying "It's Skyrim with guns!!" over an over again. I started to research it a bit and saw some gameplay videos and I liked what I saw. The Environments were gorgeous, I liked the Animals and Vaas was one hell of a villain. Then I got to the half way point.

I found out it was more like Dead Island without Zombies, the side quests were all terrible and I got sick of constantly liberating outposts and looking for Radio Towers to climb. Everything got really old really fast. Once I killed Vaas I just lost all interest as he was the only thing keeping me going.

It's by no means a terrible game, and to those that enjoy it good on you. But it was hyped up way to much to me, and people were putting labels on it that were false, I sold it and bought something else.

Farcay 3 made me feel like I wasted my money and I have not felt that way about a game purchase in a long time, mostly because of the research I normally do.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#55DemonicDracoPosted 1/29/2013 10:28:34 AM
infamous... didn't think I'd care for it...

demon souls... excepted it to be at least ok given all the hype but its actually the ps3 game ive enjoyed least and thats counting all the weird crap plus has thrown at me... ok ill admit that foosball 2012 is worse...
---
Beauty is the only truth in this world.
#56hockeybub89Posted 1/29/2013 10:33:51 AM
I hated the Dead Space demo but eventually took a chance on the game used and loved it.

I was worried about Red Dead Redemption up until its release because I couldn't imagine it turning out good, being an Old West game. I was really wrong on that one.

I actually bought into the Medal of Honor hype and thought it would rival or surpass Call of Duty. Instead, I got a 3 hour campaign and a multiplayer that felt like it was thrown together blindly one night by someone that had never made a game before. It was a horror that felt different than the campaign and was a combination of all the worst parts of COD and Battlefield.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#57SHAO-KhanPosted 1/29/2013 10:37:49 AM
Hitman Absolution

RE6

Sengoku Basara 3
---
"If we're Evil or Divine , We're the Last in Line" - Ronnie James Dio
#58RD_21Posted 1/29/2013 11:30:51 AM
Bayonetta

The promotion was sickening me as I felt it was portraying gamers as dumb nerds who will buy anything if you show skin and a good looking girl. They were basically playing her as the strong women that every nerds crave.

And when I played it and got past that I really dug it.
#59PhaseSlaethePosted 1/29/2013 11:37:56 AM
RDR - All the hype for it, and everyone giving it acclaim, only to realize it is the most boring and dull Western FPS game I've played.

Dragon Quarter - Had to try it, since there are people so adamant about it being better than the rest of the series. Sweet christ. Probably the first game in my gaming history, chronologically that is, that claimed the label of "decent game, but an atrocity to its series". I'm almost glad Breath of Fire is dead because of it. Mercy killing. This game was a huge pile of bull **** to the rest of the series. Not even a reboot would be this bad.

Other than a few things lately, namely "W" things, I've never really picked up many games I was displeased with.
#60TerotrousPosted 1/29/2013 11:41:48 AM
Interestingly, both of TC's games are games I thought would be really cool but didn't like all that much. For Demon's Souls, I personally do find that the game is largely about cheap deaths and lack of checkpoints. And for Monster Hunter, I don't like the fact that the game generally minimizes RPG aspects (you don't level up and there's virtually no customization), yet you still have to grind a lot.

Onto more positive territory:

Shaun White Road Trip (Wii):

This is easily one of the most pleasant surprises I've ever come across. This game appeared at Nintendo's E3 2008 (you know, the worst E3 conference ever), and Cammie Dunaway used her magical powers to make it seem like a total farce. I picked it up after word started to spread across the grapevine that it was actually decent, and it was worth taking the risk - the game is basically a faster, more charming version of SSX Tricky. The presentation deserves special credit, I like how the developers really went out of their way to try to capture the fun and sense of community associated with snowboarding rather than just the technical aspects. It makes this feel like more than just another sports game.

Ys vs Sora no Kiseki (PSP, Japan-only):

It's usually the case the spinoff fighting games are pretty bad, so I waited until this was cheap (and it was clear it wouldn't be coming here) to pick it up. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this avoids the pitfalls of most fighting game spinoffs purely because it really isn't one. It plays pretty much the same as the (excellent) Ys Seven, but with all parts of the game replaced by boss battles (which were also the best parts of the original game). I'm sure it's totally fraudulent as a fighting game, but as a single-player action-RPG it's one of the fastest and craziest ones out there.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery